Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A new California law starting 2005 says if you turn on your windshield wipers you must also turn on your headlights.
Makes sense to me. I always drive with my headlights on anyway. I want them to see me coming...
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A new California law starting 2005 says if you turn on your windshield wipers you must also turn on your headlights.
Makes sense to me. I always drive with my headlights on anyway. I want them to see me coming...
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Makes sense, been a law in most eastern states for decades. I'm surprised CA just got around to passing it.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have seen several states that this is the law...not in Texas an Oklahoma though. I think most folks think if they can see me fine with my lights, they are Ok with out lights.

Common sense says that in reduced visibility, it is safe to turn on your lights.

Also, the number of nuts running with "parking lights" when it is to dark. Folks, these are PARKING lights, not driving lights.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #5

I agree it's a good idea, but I don't agree we need to legislate it.

I think we already have plenty of laws that are not easily enforced and soak up the time of the law enforcement people that might be better spent elsewhere.

I'd rather see a law that says, if you run a red light and someone gets killed as a result of your action, you go to jail for manslaughter.

Just my $0.02
ZagiFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ZagiFlyer:

I'd rather see a law that says, if you run a red light and someone gets killed as a result of your action, you go to jail for manslaughter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello ZagiFlyer,

Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them.

As you'll see, they're eager to help and share their knowledge and experiences with others.

Are you sure y'all don't already have a law such as that? Most states would call that "vehicular manslaughter".

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
Are you sure y'all don't already have a law such as that? Most states would call that "vehicular manslaughter". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yea. Jeez, I can be amazingly empty-headed sometimes. Perhaps I'll make a stronger effort to engage brain before attacking my keyboard.

FWIW, I am the self-same "ZagiFlyer" as on the "other" forum (in case anyone was wondering).
ZagiFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
ZagiFlyer, the reason we have to have laws and mandate some items is that some of the fine folks out there are literally not smart enough to protect themselves, let alone other folks. So we have to have a law to tell them what is acceptable behavior.

On the issue or light on-wipers on, the auto manufacturers can easily wire the vehicles so that ANYTIME you turn on the wipers, the leadlights come on...easy fix.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #9

I would bet that the manufacturers would like for the US to go with the Canadian solution. it would make manufacturing facilities more common.

It is already a requirement for vehicles sold in Canada to have daytime running lights, Dodge are highbeams at 50% power, GM just turns them all on. This applies to anytime the engine is running. Some can turn them off by applying the parking brake.

The decision to turn lights on is not left with the driver and this way the highway patrol doesn't have to try and enforce a very objective rule. I can imagine the conversation on the side of the road "really officer - it wasn't raining hard enough for me to turn my wipers on all the way, does the headlight rule apply if you turn them off again, how fast do my wipers need to go before I must put them on??"

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:31 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'd rather see a law that says, if you run a red light and someone gets killed as a result of your action, you go to jail for manslaughter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever happened to the word "accident"? Just because someone fails to see a red light and has a wreck, they ought to go to jail! I would agree if they were drunk, running from the law, or something like that. That means they were intentionally doing something but to put someone away for an accident is too extreme. Why don't we just lock everybody up and be done with it.

Back on thread, just don't turn your wipers on and you're good to go. Who needs them anyway if you're using rain-x.
Vette Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #11

Around here, most of the folks running red lights aren't doing it by "accident".

Dave
aa6vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #12

OK...I'll chime in here...

I know about the new law, and if it was such a good idea (which BTW I'm in favor for- don't have any reason to deny it but now it's just something else someone has to remember to do), why don't they build that into the vehicles' systems! I suspect it's because there's some money on the line, ey?

And the GM running light thing...I betchya about half of the GM owners have at least one burnt-out bulb...at least that's what I see! Aaaa...hummmm...must be Delco bulbs!

And Arch....thanks for bringing it up to our attention!

Tom...you need to 'splain a little more on that rain-x idea, OK Lucy?

Sean
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Rain-x is the best thing since sliced bread, but doesn't work on barn door windshields. I'll save the rest 'splainin' for the VR.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:44 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aa6vh:
Around here, most of the folks running red lights aren't doing it by "accident".

Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here in SoCal it's NOT an accident either, it's commonplace, any light, any intersection, any time of day... worse, Kalifornia's Komical Kops don't do anything about it....