Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV park for seeing the sights in San Francisco

We are going to travel to San Francisco and the surounding area in a couple of weeks and wondered where the best place to park the RV to see the things there like Alcatraz, Golden gate, China town, fishermans wharf etc. Any good advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #2

If you don't mind driving an hour into the City. There is an RV park at the Alameda County fair grounds in Pleasanton.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed in Pacifica in April and July (San Francisco RV Resort). Campground is right on the ocean and walking distance to a great shopping center with really good fish and chips.

We originally going to stay at the campground at Candlestick Park but was told by some locals that the area around the campground was pretty bad.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

Saratoga Springs (in Saratoga) is beautiful, except when school is out and EVERYONE wants to be there. You're south of San Fran about 50 miles but it's a quick hope up 280 to the city.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #5

As a former 20-year resident of the Bay Area, I would offer some thoughts. Not sure how long you plan to stay, so some of my comments may not seem relevant. Probably best to find a place somewhere on the Peninsula (that area from San Fran all the way south toward San Jose). The combination of bridge tolls and traffic when crossing the bridges (G/Gate to the North Bay; and the Bay Bridge, the San Mateo Bridge and the Dumbarton Bridge to the East Bay) will try your patience and your wallet....especially if you are making 2 trips a day into and out of San Fran. I agree....stay away from ANY cg near Candlestick. Cg's near Pacifica, Daly City, South San Francisco or San Bruno can be very damp, cold and sometimes foggy. Recognize that this is STILL the rainy season in Northern California, so warm and wet weather clothing are VERY necessary, especially at night. Don't even consider going into San Fran without warm clothing....day or night. And do not forget an umbrella....

If you can't find an acceptable cg, you might want to consider looking into mobile home parks aways down the Peninsula in cities such as San Mateo, Burlingame, San Carlos, Redwood City and so forth. I recall that there are a number of very nice, very well maintained mh parks in these areas. If they have vacant spots, they may rent one short term just to help pay the light bill. By the way, Saratoga is gorgeous....but that daily round trip through Bay Area traffic to a South Bay location, even in a toad, will get old real fast....trust me on that. And in the rain? Ugly!!!

There are so many things to see and do in the Bay Area that I could go on for hours. To really see San Fran on a sunny day, go north over the G/Gate Bridge, get off at the Sausalito exit....and go left up into the Marin Headlands, one of the Bay Area's best kept secrets. And go all the way to the top if it's open. There are old WW II observation points and gun emplacements up there, and the views are the best you will ever have of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. Also, consider walking part of the G/Gate if the weather is cooperative. It is awesome! Also consider visiting Japantown, west of downtown SF. It is small but has some very good Japanese restaurants and shops. If you want outstanding crab, go to Thanh Long restaurant at 48th & Judah streets in SF....expensive but awesome crab that will blow you away. In Chinatown, suggest Chung King restaurant, a small but excellent restaurant that the locals love....as do I. I think it is on Jackson street near Kearny. Their potstickers and hot 'n sour soup are killers. Like Italian food? Try the small, family restaurants next to Chinatown in North Beach. Avoid the flashy, "touristy" ones. If you go to Alcatraz, absolutely get the head sets....it takes you on a vocalized, guided tour of one of the most incredible places you will EVER see. And give yourself lots of time out there just to wander around the place. It is amazing. It also can be very cold on The Rock.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe some of this info will help. Have a great trip.
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairIIAT
If you don't mind driving an hour into the City. There is an RV park at the Alameda County fair grounds in Pleasanton.
You can also take the BART from Pleasanton into SF. Then you don't have to worry about parking. Public Transportation is great.
bookman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we recently stay in Half Moon Bay (pelican point rv park)
liked this park; very quiet and clean
during this visit, we stopped to look at candelstick - couldn't pay us to stay there

we have also stayed at the koa in Petaluma a couple of times
(so dislike koa - but you sometimes have to suck it up)

enjoy your stay
we love the area as there is lots to see - such a beautiful city
and as noted already; you'll need a variety of clothes

regards, pdq
pdq_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman52 View Post
You can also take the BART from Pleasanton into SF. Then you don't have to worry about parking. Public Transportation is great.

Yeah I didn't even think of Bart. When I lived there bart didn't go to P-Town.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the North side of San Francisco the KOA in Petaluma is nice but rather pricey. I believe they take a shuttle bus to San Francisco every day. That would put you close to Bodega Bay and your in the heart of Wine Country. If you are an Elk, the Lodge in Petaluma has 19 full hook up RV spaces. The Santa Rosa Fairgrounds RV Park is cheaper than KOA but has no amenities.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #10

we were work campers at pacifica last winter. it is right on the ocean and if you are staying awhile, spray all moving parts with w.d. forty. spectacular views and scenery! good place. enjoy. cordwood@samantha the Schitzu.
cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote