Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #1

Will I regret being over 35' in California?

We currently have a 33' and are hoping to upgrade. I've been looking at 40', but realize that a lot of parks in California limit RV's to 35'.

I haven't done a lot of research on the topic yet, but wondering if I'll regret going over 35'. We like to camp where we can hike, ride bikes, see the beach, etc. I haven't done a lot of research to see if there's adequate 40' RV parks that are nearby the state parks with limitations, or if we'll really be limited to where we can visit if we're over 35.

Any advice?
ryant858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #2

Plenty of threads on here about that. I asked the same thing months ago. Answer I got was it wouldn't be a problem in most places...

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 38' measured coach. Live in SoCal. Have been able to fit in wherever we wanted.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some California State Parks have s 31ft limit . We go to Leo Carrillo near Malibu with our 34 ft Diesel and it fits.
Most of the private parks in the area, that can take the larger Mh's are VERY pricey.
You really have to research where you want to go and then decide what is best for you.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:09 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've done tons of research on places to go (when we finally buy our coach) and yes... there are places here and there that won't fit rigs of a certain length. But honestly, there are so many options that can accommodate 40+ that I would never let those few parks that don't dictate what rig I buy.

Just my 2 cents, worth every penny...

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:27 AM   #6

Thanks for the input! If anyone knows where those other threads are, mind posting them? I'm apparently not a great searcher...
ryant858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Adjustments include, the larger the rig, the earlier you need to make reservations. Because there are fewer 40 ft. spots than smaller ones. Check out the places you like, that may help you make up your mind.

Since we moved from a 25 ft. Sprinter to a 34 ft. Diesel we havnt had a problem. But the larger size does call for better planning. It does kind of take away that free feeling of "camping wherever you want".

Only you can decide. Call a few state parks that you like.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:41 PM   #8

Ours is 36'11" and we have had no problems getting in anywhere so far. There was one CG on the Beach we couldn't get into but that was only because they had the larger sites shut down for winter maintenance. Even though some State Parks have a 35' limit some will easily fit a 40' MH with room for a Toad. I was talking to a park ranger about this and he said the limits were made years ago when a 35' MH was on the larger size. He said they have never updated their computers as they don't have the time to go out and measure the sites and make corrections on the web site. He suggested if we were going to make reservations put in that it is 35' or whatever the limit is and we will get in. He said nobody ever measures your MH. We usually don't make reservations and still have no problems getting in. What we do in case we ever need to make reservations is keep a CG map of each place we stay in a three ring binder, and we walk the CG while we are there and note the sites we like and can fit into. That way we know what site number to request and there won't be any issues of not being able to fit.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 AM   #9

We camp at Pt. Mugu (thornhill broome sb) often and they have a "31 ft max" rule.. only there are 45+ footers there all the time. My buddy brought his 36 ft class A and just put 31 ft on the reservations. They didn't question it at all.
Now, having said that, we also go to Lake Nacimiento and they have limited spots for over 30 footers. You simply can't drive through the campground at anything over 30ft.
Like said above, call around to your favorite places and see. Plan well. Also look at your rig height and plan the drive. Long rigs can get taller too. Bridges are not very accepting when your rig stretches the 15' high mark.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

Before we committed to buying a 40' coach (mainly because the selection was so much better compared to shorter rigs), we probably spent a year in our 30' gas coach asking ourselves "could we have done this with a 40' coach?" Typically, the answer was yes.

Many of the state parks do say 36' but we've always been able to fit. You can often "cheat" if needed by hanging the rear of the coach out over the grass, for example, although we almost never have to do that. We often go to Pismo Beach and while some campgrounds do have short spaces only good for 20' or less (which is really hard to "cheat" into with any size diesel), there is decent availability for the 35-36' spaces which we easily fit into.

Steve
Old 11-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #11

If your planning to use your motorhome only don't go to San Diego, parking ban on anything over 27' on city streets! Not an RV friendly place, they consider you homeless and will harass you till you give up and go away as we did!
gypsy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy8 View Post
If your planning to use your motorhome only don't go to San Diego, parking ban on anything over 27' on city streets! Not an RV friendly place, they consider you homeless and will harass you till you give up and go away as we did!
Oh yes I stopped in PtLoma to visit an uncle 2 houses down & hadnt parked 15-30 min and the city police showed up. He said we dont care and many times ignore it,but when a "PissY" neighbor calls in we have to follow up. I added the word "Pissy" cause it fit better.
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
Oh yes I stopped in PtLoma to visit an uncle 2 houses down & hadnt parked 15-30 min and the city police showed up. He said we dont care and many times ignore it,but when a "PissY" neighbor calls in we have to follow up. I added the word "Pissy" cause it fit better.
I wouldn't want a big MH parked in front of my house either so I don't think they were being "Pissy". Maybe they should have tried to talk to you first before they called the Cops, but seeing your response that may have not been a good idea either. MH's are intended to be used in an RV Park, Boondocking on designated Public Lands, or on your own property, not in front of someone's house in a residential tract. If you were going to do that, you should have talked to the neighbors first to see if they were good with that and respected their opinion. This is why people who don't own RV's tend to get upset and then it ruins it for all the others, who follow the rules.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy8 View Post

They don't consider you homeless, they (correctly) consider you to be in violation of the city parking code, and are exercising their rights as citizens to report (using the convenient online reporting webpage) parking violations that adversely affect the quality of life in their neighborhood. Many places in the San Diego area are so popular with visitors that it is difficult for residents and their house guests to find parking. Even residents need a permit to park an RV or boat on the street in front of their own house. Nobody wants their neighborhood to look like the Disneyland parking lot. When in Rome...

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor

Tags
california