Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Alaska trip

We are headed to Alaska from Indiana in mid June. We are traveling in a motor home towing with 2 kids. We are about 65 feet long. We also have another family traveling with us pulling a camper with 4 kids. We are going to be gone for about 45 days (not enough but all we can do).
We are not going to be in a hurry. Any ideas of routes, places to go, see, things to do would be helpful. We have a mini gold trommel that we enjoy panning with. We also like to explore and drive trails with our Jeep.
I know some roads are paved and some are not. We would like to stay on pavement with the RVs if all possible. We will drive vehicles if we want to go too far off pavement. I have heard some of the roads can have some major heaves. I would also like a map of where all the heaves are in the road. HA HA

Thank You Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
We are headed to Alaska from Indiana in mid June. We are traveling in a motor home towing with 2 kids. We are about 65 feet long. We also have another family traveling with us pulling a camper with 4 kids. We are going to be gone for about 45 days (not enough but all we can do).
We are not going to be in a hurry. Any ideas of routes, places to go, see, things to do would be helpful. We have a mini gold trommel that we enjoy panning with. We also like to explore and drive trails with our Jeep.
I know some roads are paved and some are not. We would like to stay on pavement with the RVs if all possible. We will drive vehicles if we want to go too far off pavement. I have heard some of the roads can have some major heaves. I would also like a map of where all the heaves are in the road. HA HA

Thank You Chris
First thing would be to purchase a new Milepost. It is full of valuable info that will talk about every stop along the way. You Need this.....
Frost heaves, do not exceed 45-50 MPH. Most are marked with little Red Flags on the side of the road. However, some are not marked so, Keep your eye on the road ahead for the black tire marks that are left by the semi trailers as they leave the ground over the frost heaves. When you see these, slow down...
You will come to find out how Destruction Bay, Yukon was named. A 200 mile long bump in the road.
Other than that, enjoy the ride. You will see some amazing scenery.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #3

X's 2 on Milepost. One thing I noticed while driving the major ice heaves between Whitehorse all the way to North of Destruction Bay in 2014, is that many trailer and 5th drivers were traveling at much faster speeds then we were in our Class A. Talking with one of the 5th wheel owners in Tok, he shared that he had damaged his rig, and had lots of content shifted to the floor position. He said that the truck suspension had shielded them from much of the ice heave impact, and even though he felt he had slowed down, he now knew it was not enough. (He was waiting for a part to come in from Anchorage for his 5th's suspension.)

I know that we slowed down to 10-20MPH for many sections with the ice heaves, as we felt/heard/absorbed many of the bumps even with air suspension in our DP.

Fun things for the kids and all to do along the way, include renting canoes/kayaks/rafts and floating the river thru Fairbanks. Take the train day train ride out/back while in Talkeenta. It's a small almost hippy kind of town, on clear days with some good views of The Mountain. If budget allows, you can take off and land on a glacier of The Mountain from here too. We enjoyed the Red Bus Tour of Anchorage, informative. Back to Fairbanks, the college has a great museum, that comes in handy on rainy days. Fishing of course, with many places to take off from. One of our great memories, was being in the town of Seward over 4th of July. They have a crazy Run The Mountain Marathon (Just insane!), with a great small town 4th of July Parade. Great eats from all of the local churches. If the normal campgrounds fill up, and they do, they open a parking lot at the the elementary school for dry camping. (We spent a few days at the elementary school, and a few days at a campground outside of Seward.) Seward also has a great ocean/aquarium like facility, that is worth a visit for all ages.

And of course, Denali, with the bus ride in as far as you want to go. If you camp within the park (Savage, or if you can stay the minimum 3 days required, 29 miles further into the park at Teklanika. We stayed 5 days in Savage, and 3 days at Teklanika.), the Rangers do a great series of nightly program that are informative.

I also recommend you go join RV.Nets 2015 Alaska group - lots of great info on the Alaska/Canada forum, and some great people that share their experiences. (You can search for Smitty, and see some our posts as we shared travel experiences along the way.)

Have a blast, we can't wait to go back again!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #4

The only time you won't be driving on pavement is when there's construction, which is every summer. Around the middle of July is the start of the Salmon runs on the Kenai. Salmon fishing is a hoot. As I tell everyone going for the first time, make sure the camera is on the dashboard at all times. The Milepost is a great idea, but Church's camping guide to Alaska is also. And maybe check into the discount coupon book that's available. The name of it escapes me right now, but I'm sure someone will come on and let you know the name of it. It'll save a load of money on different things to see & do. We're planning on our 3rd trip, but it won't be til 2016.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled to Alaska in 2012. You will need to follow the suggestions above! You can see our trip starting into Canada on our blog below. Some high light were: a plane ride into Denali and landing on a glacier, fishing out of Homer, cooking school at the Tutka Bay Lodge across the bay from Homer, glacier tour out of Whittier, traveling down the Inter Coastal Waterway with the MH on a ferry. Beautiful scenery, keep your camera handy at all times and share your trip with a blog.

RVGR8escape

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE

Rainy day ferry trip to Ketchikan early in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03901.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	84303  
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

Cassiar

We have made the trip twice in the last 5 years and would recommend taking the Cassiar Hwy up to Alaska and returning via Hwy 1 to Dawson Creek. Our favorite part of the whole trip is the Cassiar. You will have a Great trip.
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #7

I would respectfully disagree. We come back using the Cassier so we can stop off at Stewart/Hyder to watch the bears chowing down on salmon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Griz #9.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	84375  
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:11 PM   #8

Going or coming - do add Cassier into our plans for one direction...

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:56 AM   #9
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Thank You to everyone who has responded. I do have an older milepost but should I buy the 2015 milepost that comes out March 1.
Keep the ideas coming.
Chris
Old 03-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Should I buy 2015 milepost or is a friends 2006 good enough. Do not mind buying the new book but I do not want to waste money if I do not need to.
Chris
Old 03-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #11

Buy the newest milepost, as there are many changes since 2006. Also, you will dog ear many sites you will be of interested on your trip.d in, and it will be a great reference and memory. Be sure you and companions understand how the routes and mileages are depicted as someone should follow along as you travel......Bob
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have thought about the same trip. Do the Canadians care that you have weapons with you. I wouldn't want to make a trip like that without protection.

Wiley
coyotebrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotebrooks View Post
I have thought about the same trip. Do the Canadians care that you have weapons with you. I wouldn't want to make a trip like that without protection.

Wiley
You can bring certain weapons into Canada however many legal weapons in the US are banned or severely restricted in Canada. In any case you will need to get an advanced permit and pay a fee to enter with any weapons. Keep in mind even pepper spray is considered a weapon in Canada. Funny Bear spray is legal but pepper spray for humans isn't. Canada Welcomes You! Here is a link to the official site with instructions in English. http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...visite-eng.htm Interestingly enough you can apply for a Possession And Acquisition License which permits non-residents to avoid the entry fees and paperwork. You still can't bring prohibited weapons - no AR15s, AR10s, AK variants, etc. But certain large frame hand guns (restricted!) can be imported with advance permission and most pump action shot guns etc. can be imported with permission. If I were planning a trip to Canada and were taking my gun I would stop across from the border and walk over with the form and photos and leave the gun in the motorhome parked on the US side and make sure they are ok with my paperwork and are ok with the weapon I planned on importing. If they aren't I would walk back across the border and figure out something else. If they decide that you can't bring the weapon for some reason and you have already attempted to import it, they will be confiscate it and it and destroyed and you will not be allowed to return to the US with it. Please don't just show up at the border and expect to sail through! Do your research and follow the rules. Thank God Canada isn't like lawless Mexico! At least you have some ability to protect yourself. Another point on this topic, keep in mind that the weapon must be locked up and the ammunition separate from the weapon. Unlike the US you can't just carry it around loaded except in very specific situations. Again check the rules and follow them very carefully and you will be fine. I would not want to make the trip myself without some kind of defensive weapon so I understand the need.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #14

Get the most current copy of the Mile Post. Things change along the route most every year. Beside the Mile Post also attempt to keep current on rule and regs for Canada.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote