Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:25 PM   #1

we are planning on heading to alaska for the month of july in 2009. from what i understand the roads aren't bad. but, travel is slow.

we plan to take 5 weeks of vacation. understand not to let the fuel tank go below 1/2 or 1/4.

just looking for some insiders thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 01:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
osomanytoys...
First of all...Welcome to iRV2! I feel this is the friendliest RV forum on the web...and many folks are always very willing to jump in and help out. You will also find that this group happens to be the most knowledgable group of RV owners around!

As far as Alaska... one of the MOST impostant things to do BEFORE you ever leave...is to pick up the Milepost book. It comes out each year and will give you a lot of detail of the roads and things to see.

Give this post more time and others who have traveled to ALaska will chime in too!

Again.. welcome to iRV2!!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #3

osomanytoys, welcome to irv2. We last drove to Alaska in 2004, so a lot of the road has changed since then. You should buy a Milepost[sometime after March to get the new one]and read all about the roads and facilities along your trip. My advice would be to take it easy on the Alcan and the Cassiar highways as there is construction all summer long in some areas. It may be digging ditches or complete highway rebuilds. The main thing is to not get in a hurry. See everything that you can while you are in Alaska and enjoy your trip. Indianajourney
indiana journey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #4

we do plan to take our time on the trip. we've done a lot of road trips and know that some of the best scenery is on the drive.

we will be getting a milepost. i am thinking about getting one for this year just to kind of study before next year. then buy an updated one before the trip.

we do have a yr and half to study up

thanks for the welcome, too.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #5

Hi,

We went to Alaska in 2007 and are going again this year. We are thinking about 2009 again too.

The roads were not bad. In fact, with the exception of a few areas of frost heaves and some construction, it wasn't as bad as many of the highways in the lower 48. You do have to travel a little slower, but the drive is part of the adventure. It is so scenic and the historical aspect is significant to study up on the routes, the towns, and wildlife so you can make the most of your journey.

You will meet a lot of fellow RVers along the way which will make it even more fun.

I agree with picking up the Milepost, but I made calls to the State of Alaka tourism places and got some materials ahead of time. Also, AAA has some nice books and materials to get.

When I get a chance to get back here, I will try to post some sites where you can get updates on road conditions in AK and Canada.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Suka
Full Moon Over Salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #6

thanks we really appreciate all the help. we have been wanting to do this trip for years. we've finally decided we are just going to do it.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #7

DW and I went to Alaska by way of the Alcan and returned by way of the Cassiar. Another couple was with us which made it more fun. The Milepost helps see things and know what you are seeing. We were on the CB with the other couple much of the time, sharing sights and telling each other what we were approaching. Even the road construction can be fun. Get out and play catch and visit. The guide cars lead you through the construction area.

robert_cannell@sbcglobal.net
Robert Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:25 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You folks in the NW are fortunate with your relative proximity to Alaska. We have to drive that far just to get to the Canadian border.

Here's a link: Our AK Trip to our website with pictures from our 2006 trip. Totally enjoyable trip. Getting there is as much fun as the destination.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
WAIT A MINUTE!!!!

I think a few of you can post a campground review of Alaska campgrounds...because I know you had to stay in one or two while in Alaska! (After all - the "campground reviews" is the same login as the photos!)

I will be watching for some Alaska reviews this next week!!!

Mama

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #10

Yes Mother!

You have to realize that in Alaska, you can camp almost anywhere along the road. No one reallly bothers you unless it is posted not to do so.

We met some of the nicest people along the road in various pull-off places.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Half Dimes:
You folks in the NW are fortunate with your relative proximity to Alaska. We have to drive that far just to get to the Canadian border.

Here's a link: Our AK Trip to our website with pictures from our 2006 trip. Totally enjoyable trip. Getting there is as much fun as the destination.
Just saw your trip page. Very nice! I wonder if we didn't see you in a few places. You were in Whitehorse about the same time we were, and we never miss a Titanium when we pass one. We had one and loved it. Would still have it but the hitch was just a little too much for us.

Suka
Old 02-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Half Dimes:

dave and jo ann, your trip photos and report are so neat. now i really can not wait to go. i also can't wait for my dh to get home from work to show him the site. thanks for sharing.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We are also planning on Alaska in 2009. We started north to Alaska in the late '80's but only made it as far as Quadra Island out of Campbell River where we stayed the entire summer salmon fishing. It was so nice we couldn't leave. As the time gets nearer we need to post again to see who from iRV2 will be in the area. We haven't started any research yet.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:58 AM   #14

i just informed my boss this week that i will be taking almost all my vacation at once next year. he said it wouldn't be a problem.

so, we are definitely going.

now, we just have to work on my folks. they have always wanted to go and just can't get any of their retired siblings to commit. so, we are hoping they will head out with us. it would be the perfect opportunity for them. we would probably be the ones to drive most of the way for them.

we would probably also ride together in their c. we will see if we can convince them

gone fishin, keep in touch. maybe we will meet on the way
cheryl