Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2022, 02:51 PM   #1

California I5 Border Crossing - What to Expect?

We're going to be going down I5 from Oregon to California soon. Who's been through that border check station recently?

What do they look for in an RV, and how extensively do they search your rig?

Any info on fruit, food, firearms would be appreciated.

Thanks
BradandCheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2022, 02:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/PE/Ext...rders_faq.html
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #3

California I5 Border Crossing - What to Expect?

I’ve never been asked about firearms and it’s outside their inspection parameters. Do note, California doesn’t have any reciprocal concealed weapons agreements with any other state. I’d suggest contacting CHP or their state police equivalent for your best information.

As for agricultural items. I’ve been asked about what fresh fruits, veggies or meats we have with us. We try to get rid of anything we can before we cross or I’m prepared to list what we have. We have yet to be inspected. I wouldn’t bring firewood. Seems to be a big issue with many states lately.

As with any of these interactions, a smile and respectful reply goes a long way in making the process go smoother.

One time we got waived right through. They were pretty busy going over the paperwork with a guy that had about 20 pot plants in the back of a u-haul. Looked like some type of commercial venture and not a smuggler as he a ton of documents and the inspectors didn’t seem too surprised.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradandCheri View Post
We're going to be going down I5 from Oregon to California soon. Who's been through that border check station recently?

What do they look for in an RV, and how extensively do they search your rig?

Any info on fruit, food, firearms would be appreciated.

Thanks
Never even knew they had a southbound chk station, but it has been 3 years since I went down the five. The 15 station they just ask at your window if you have any fresh fruits or vegetables. Ca. Wants the ammo or the firearm inaccessible to without you having to stop and recombine the two. Like one in the trunk the other in the passenger compartment. I would like to believe having to put a slide out to access one or the other would suffice but it doesn't require you to physically leave the vehicle so maybe not. Of course a fold down rear seat back doesn't either, so all very subject to interpretation. If you call the CHP and get a definitive answer please let us all know.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:17 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I have been traveling the I5 since '97 and the only question I have ever been asked is about fresh fruits and vegetables. At one time they asked about plants.
The stop is all of 15 seconds at most
Old 10-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #6

On one trip I had them enter the 5er to check on a lime purchased in Oregon , inspector took and peeled the ends off and let us keep it , grown in California tag still on it.

Never any questions about anything other than fruits and vegetables; but ; that could be because of the Canadian plates , and they know that most other stuff is covered at the US/Canada border .
Old 10-05-2022, 08:38 PM   #7

Having lived in CA for 30+ yrs and traveling out/in CA, out of the 16 AG Stations I think I have been thru at least 12 of them

"Where are you coming from?" (as if they didn't know)
"Do you have any Fruit/Vegetables/Contraband?" (NO)

Most time they just wave you thru...no stopping or questions

When we entered CA pulling our 5th wheel with SD Plates ...just a hand wave as we smiled and waved back
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This site CDFA might be helpful.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:16 PM   #9

I just tell them all the fruits and vegetables we have were just purchased in whatever border state we just entered from.

Most the time they see our Texas tags and just waive us through.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:23 PM   #10

Thanks for the Information

This is my first time using the Forums here, and I'm impressed by the excellent community and contributions.

Thank you!
BradandCheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Once they thoroughly inspected the outside of our rig for gypsy moths because of our MA plates and asked about fruit & veggies.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 09:29 AM   #12

Just went thru last week coming home from Brookings Oregon. Going down to Cresent City and then back up to get to Brookings you go thru California border. They asked going down for fruits, vegetables and firewood. Coming back just fruits. Going down to Tahoe each year they always ask about firewood. To bad your not coming up from the south they don’t check for any thing not even Covid.
Werk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #13

Unless you look like you have been hunting (stickers, blaze orange, camo, UTV in the bed, etc) which would make them ask about having any game with you, then it's just "any fresh fruits or vegetables?", if you don't just get waved through.

The AG folks don't care about firearms, but we do have stupid limitations on what you can possess and "import" in case you get stopped by other LEO.

Transport is laws are pretty simple. Unloaded and in a locked container for handguns (center console and glove box, by themselves, are not legal. Long guns can be unlocked but must be unloaded and generally out of reach. Be careful about what this state calls "assault weapons". We also do not honor ANY non-CA CCW permits, LEOSA is good though.

Check these before bringing anything into the state:
https://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
https://www.calguns.net/caawid/hgflowchart.pdf

Unloaded means no ammo in the gun itself (inside the grip, tubular mag, in the chamber). A loaded mag can be in the same locked contained as the gun just not "contained within the firearm".
Old 10-06-2022, 10:08 AM   #14

I got stopped once. They took an avocado. I think i saw them making guacamole as i pulled away.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california