Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #1

Flat Towing Install Recommendations - Oregon

Hey All!

Wondering if anyone has recommendations for a facility near Salem, OR that will install all of the components for flat towing.

Camping World wants $3k in parts and over $2k (over 13 hours) in labor and most of the posts I've read on this forum suggest that labor should be roughly 6-8 hours.

Looking at:
Roadmaster 521452-5 Baseplate
All Terrain Falcon Tow Bar
Brakemaster 9060

Of course all of these are cheaper on Amazon or eTrailer, but CW won't install unless you buy from them. And they want me to absorb the shipping cost but if I buy them online from CW website, I can get shipping for free, so I don't know what the deal is with that.

Thanks!
iceman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What car are you hooking up?

Some require extensive work to install the base plate.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:06 AM   #3

You could drive up I-5 to Vancouver, WA, where the Roadmaster factory is located. They installed everything to include baseplate, AirForce 1, lighting kit, and a battery disconnect switch for $1000. My Tahoe requires that the battery be disconnected to flat tow. That alone added a couple of hours to the install. I bought all the parts at etrailer or Amazon, which was ok with them. They don’t even sell the AF1 but installed it anyway. I was there from 10:00am to 5:00pm. The only drawback is the waiting area leaves a bit to be desired. CW seems high. My tow bar was $850, the AF1 about the same and less than $400 for the baseplate.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What car are you hooking up?

Some require extensive work to install the base plate.
2021 Jeep Cherokee

It shouldn't need a ton of work other than the front bumper needs some fins cut out so the quick disconnects can poke through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
You could drive up I-5 to Vancouver, WA, where the Roadmaster factory is located. They installed everything to include baseplate, AirForce 1, lighting kit, and a battery disconnect switch for $1000. My Tahoe requires that the battery be disconnected to flat tow. That alone added a couple of hours to the install. I bought all the parts at etrailer or Amazon, which was ok with them. They don’t even sell the AF1 but installed it anyway. I was there from 10:00am to 5:00pm. The only drawback is the waiting area leaves a bit to be desired. CW seems high. My tow bar was $850, the AF1 about the same and less than $400 for the baseplate.
That's not a bad idea. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #5

Just came across Roadmaster’s invoice. They charged $350.00 to install the baseplate. The next most expensive item was AF1 install at $240.00 and another $180.00 for wiring the brake lights.
Battery disconnect was only $120.00. Total would have been under $1000 but they didn’t like my emergency disconnect and supplied one as well as 2 plastic plugs for the baseplate. Total $1010 including almost $80.00 in tax. And, they are the factory.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:43 PM   #6

Wow, a huge difference. Definitely going to give them a call. Appreciate the detail!!
Old 03-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Roadmaster was definitely the way to go.

They quoted $3790 (+ tax) for all hardware and installation.

Thanks again for the recommendation seeg!
Old 03-15-2021, 11:22 AM   #8

Roadmaster also has a good facility in Portland. Todd's auto and RV repair. Tod reworked my air braking system in Quartzsite the Camping World installed wrong. Todd did good work and a good price and used Roadmaster parts.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:13 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Decided to go back to a TV and TT, so sold the toad. Fast forward 6 months and couldn't find what we wanted in the budget we set, soooo, we're back into the '01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC and I found a 2002 Subaru Legacy outback stick for a decent price and took it to Kitsap Rv in Port Orchard for the base plate install. I had the baseplate from Roadmaster $450, the lite wiring for $75 or so and the Brake Buddy breakaway wiring which was around $50-$75. They charged 4 hours for base plate, Roadmaster says 3, 2 hours for lites and suggested was 1 along with less for the breakaway for a total labor of EIGHT hours at $169 an hour. He also installed a six pin socket when I had a 7 blade hookup and then they charged me $180 to redo their mistake.
Be very, very careful who you have do your work. I could have had it done for half that amount at my local shop who has a Subaru tech if I had known, so really check around.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, tow, towing