Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

Kodiak Island AK

This summer we are planning on driving up to Kodiak Island AK, so I have some questions?
Is there places to stay with a 39 foot MH around Kodiak.
If not we are thinking of taking Our Toad over there and staying at a motel B&B but looking for a place that is Pet friendly (dog).
What is the Ferry trip like? I assume it can get rough?
Being as we are driving through Canada we can't bring pepper/bear spray or a pistol, What does everyone use for bear protection.
We would like to know if there are any Tour guide in Kodiak who would take us out for bear tours don't want to get too close but close enough for photos with telephoto camera.
Any suggestion when staying in Camp grounds about not attracting bears in a MH and what to watch for this question I think would apply to any Where in AK or Canada I would think
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #2

Who told you bear spay was not allowed in Canada? Just curious where you got this false info. Bear spray is available in many outdoor stores in Canada and it is legal to carry it.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

No mace, pepper spray but as long as it is labeled as bear spray it's ok. Strange, as all of those defense agents are similar.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #4

I lived on Kodiak back in the 80's. It had a state park with a campground. Not sure how big of and RV it will handle.
The ferry is about a12 hour ride. Hope this helps.
Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Who told you bear spay was not allowed in Canada? Just curious where you got this false info. Bear spray is available in many outdoor stores in Canada and it is legal to carry it.
Canadian Customs @ Sumas and Aldergrove have told me it's not allowed to import pepper spray into Canada even under the stated laws. Canadian Customs asks me every time I enter into BC and the Yukon through Haines and prince Rupert if I have weapons pepper spray and Bear spray and tell me both sprays are not allowed. I have legally transported Shot guns through Canada with a permit good for 30 Days and know I can't transport a pistol. I find it just is not worth the hassle at the border. But if I can buy it in Canada my be I will do that when I go up there this summer. I'm a Canadian living in USA. LOL

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-1

If you find section 26, point C, in that document (pp 11-12), you will note that IF it is clearly labeled and designed to be used as animal repellant (and not as "pepper spray" against humans), then bear spray is listed as an exception to the rule barring such sprays as prohibited weapons.

But I would go with the mindset that they will probably confiscate it and s that you will have to replace it. That way, you will be pleased and relieved if that doesn't happen, and you won't be annoyed if it does get taken away.

I would also go with a printout of part of the document that I linked above, with the appropriate section highlighted.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craft View Post
I lived on Kodiak back in the 80's. It had a state park with a campground. Not sure how big of and RV it will handle.
The ferry is about a12 hour ride. Hope this helps.
They have it posted on the park web site no longer than 20 feet
Old 12-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #7

Yes in accordance with the quote from the referenced web site, Bear Spray can be imported into Canada.. I carry Bear spray in my RV all the Time. Yes it is must be clearly labled Bear Spray. It was purchased it in Canada. Bought one can at Canadian Tire and the others I bought online. The Canadian Border Services folks have looked at the cans on different occasions without incident. I have one in plain sight right inside my door. It MUST have the correct labeling indeed and be of the type that meets Canadian regs.

Good luck on the trip. Never been to Kodiak Island but have been to many places in AK. Love it.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote