Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northwest Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:41 AM   #1

Stevens/Crystal camping

Hello,

Planning on spending some time on the slopes this winter before I move to the East coast. Has anyone here camped at the Stevens Pass or Crystal Mountain lots? I am not concerned about the drive to/from as we will be watching the weather and planning our trips to/from accordingly, but I am a little concerned about getting in/out of the lots as I know there are some inclines and corners to navigate and I am a little weary of doing this in the snow, even if it is plowed. Any advice/experience to share?

BTW I have a 4 seasons NW Nash and will be towing with F150. I have 'all season/terrain' tires and will be carrying chains, but would rather not need to use them
Zanzabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #2

We took our 24' class C to Stevens many years ago, 1980's. Had no problem getting in to the parking area but ran into a problem getting out. The warm tires created a divet in the snow/ice parking area. I had to install my chains to get from there down to the road.

Things have changed a lot up there, so I don't know if they are even parking RVs in the same area. Have fun. We miss skiing.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #3

I've never towed a trailer in the snow, so that would be my concern, especially since the parking lot is probably compact snow/ice and not level and you're probably going to have to deal with start/stop traffic in the parking lot.

Aren't there sno-parks not that far east of there, like Lake Wenatchee? Might be better to camp there and drive the truck to Stevens.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
I've never towed a trailer in the snow, so that would be my concern, especially since the parking lot is probably compact snow/ice and not level and you're probably going to have to deal with start/stop traffic in the parking lot.

Aren't there sno-parks not that far east of there, like Lake Wenatchee? Might be better to camp there and drive the truck to Stevens.
Thanks, that is my concern too, trying to move around in the lots on packed snow. obviously will be going slow in have 4x4, so hopefully will help. will be traveling with dogs so parking down the mountain wont be an option unfortunately.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanzabar View Post
Thanks, that is my concern too, trying to move around in the lots on packed snow. obviously will be going slow in have 4x4, so hopefully will help. will be traveling with dogs so parking down the mountain wont be an option unfortunately.
So most weekends in the winter we our up in Snoqualmie Pass with our travel trailer patrolling.

I would say it depends on how you plan on using the trailer in the winter. Are you up only in fair weather when the roads are in good shape or towing when there is snow on the road?

Few items of of recommendation either way. Bring show shovel, chains for truck and trailer, and a bag of sand at a minimum.

Second recommendation is get a good set of snow tires for your truck and it takes all the stress out. I have never even remotely gotten stuck or had issues. I have had good luck with Blizzaks but, switched last season to nokian hakkapeliitta lt3 on my truck.

Last piece check on your truck on whether you have open differentials or LSD. Open diffs suck and essentially means you got 2 wheel drive. My current rig I had to have the diffs changed out for LSD. It tows like a champ up snowy roads and more importantly brakes on the down side!

Stevens has power hook ups and I have friends up there a good part of the season with their RV. I heard Crystal is a PITA to get in as the lot fills early and people start parking their RV mid week then leave to head back to work.

Not sure how both resorts are going to handle RV given they both are under a reservation system only this year.

Hope this helps.
scurvydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvydog View Post
So most weekends in the winter we our up in Snoqualmie Pass with our travel trailer patrolling.

I would say it depends on how you plan on using the trailer in the winter. Are you up only in fair weather when the roads are in good shape or towing when there is snow on the road?

Few items of of recommendation either way. Bring show shovel, chains for truck and trailer, and a bag of sand at a minimum.

Second recommendation is get a good set of snow tires for your truck and it takes all the stress out. I have never even remotely gotten stuck or had issues. I have had good luck with Blizzaks but, switched last season to nokian hakkapeliitta lt3 on my truck.

Last piece check on your truck on whether you have open differentials or LSD. Open diffs suck and essentially means you got 2 wheel drive. My current rig I had to have the diffs changed out for LSD. It tows like a champ up snowy roads and more importantly brakes on the down side!

Stevens has power hook ups and I have friends up there a good part of the season with their RV. I heard Crystal is a PITA to get in as the lot fills early and people start parking their RV mid week then leave to head back to work.

Not sure how both resorts are going to handle RV given they both are under a reservation system only this year.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! To answer your questions I really only plan on heading up/down during fairly good weather, not worth risking it in my mind with the trailer, can always do a day trip. Was more concerned with getting in/out of the lot I guess.

I was planning on bringing chains (just in case), but shovel and some sand are easy and a good idea as well. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah this season will be interesting, I am hoping it will bring the crowds down but we will see. Trying to make the most of it.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:29 PM   #7

Zanzabar I heard that reservations at Stevens for RV opened up today. So you might want to check on that. Crystal lot where the RVs go is pretty flat and it's plowed in/out so I think you would be in good shape. I think Stevens is in the upper lot so you might have a slope.

Traction boards used for offroad is a cheaper alternatives than snow tires and you can throw in the back.

Hope this helps. This last winter was my first towing but, I got about 10 trips up. Good question is how good are your tires on packed snow without the trailer?

Snow tires are an investment but, is the best thing you can do. Last season we had 2 feet drop during the day. We packed down when we pulled in around 7am by moving the vehicle move back and forth. It was like a war zone with people getting vehicles getting stuck everywhere. We did about 5 minutes of quick shoveling and pulled on out. Lots of stares on the way out LOL. Hope that provides some real world experience.
scurvydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I spent many years in the Sierras, working and recreating. Don't go to the snow without the necessary equipment. Real snow tires (not gentleman feel goods), chains for the entire rig, and take your time will get you there and back. Think about all the sno mo trailers hauling up and down the mountain and they do fine.
Remember the Donner Party? They didn't have the right tires either!
Peace out.....

Tags
camping, scr