Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #1

Looking for FHU campground north of Chicago

Our daughter lives in Libertyville. We are full timers and when we visit we usually stay two weeks at a time either at Fish Lake or Illinois Beach State Park.

We have a big rig and neither of these parks are ideal.

Fish Lake is FHU but EXTREMELY tight for us to maneuver in.

IL Beach park has no sewer or water and mostly 30A. The 50A sites are basically a parking lot with a power pedestal with little trees. What we have been doing is taking a 30A site and using the bathhouse. This is inconvenient for several weeks.

Anyone have any other ideas? I can't find any other FHU campgrounds in the area.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #2

Check this website locations, might be too far North: https://www.rvparkstore.com/rv-park-...chicago/page/1
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #3

Thanks Ray.

Unfortunately none of those will work. Some are closed, don't exist, seasonal only etc.

Anyone else?
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #4

Can you be more specific about seasons? Most state parks north of St. Louis are closed or have no water in the winter.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Can you be more specific about seasons? Most state parks north of St. Louis are closed or have no water in the winter.
Spring and summer.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:58 AM   #6

RV Park Reviews

Click the "RV Park Reviews" button in the right hand part of the iRV2 window. Navigate to the area north of Chicago. Only three RV parks are listed there. Two, you have already mentioned. The third is a Navy one without full hookups. You must go further north, maybe to Wisconsin to find more.

There are probably more places, but they may not be suitable for full service big rigs. Check; https://freecampsites.net/. In my browser I must select "satellite" from the "Layer" button to see them.

Availability look highly limited.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #7

KOA in Union IL; Camp Rhineburg in Palatine if you fit (40 length max I think). Rhineburg has 50 amp and sewer, plus can fill your freshwater tank without moving the RV.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

It's about 36 miles from Libertyville, but Bong State Recreation Area in Kansasville, WI is nice. They accommodate large rigs and have 30A and 50A sites.
Jeansor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #9

I am finding the same problem when visiting friends in St Charles/Rockford area.

I really don’t understand why parks are so few and far between.

Btw, Wisconsin is not much better. I am having to stay 30 min from friends in Mequon since the parks are so sparse.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #10

Fish Lake Beach is 80 years old and was in the middle of nowhere back then. The roads were layout before big rigs were even a thing. I do see plenty of big Class A and 5rs in the temp sites. Most of the park is full of people who rent the site for the entire season. My site runs over $500 a month plus elec. It is 40 minutes away; when I was willing to drive 3 hours into the middle of nowhere in Indiana, I could find seasonal sites for $200 a month that included elec.

Around a big city like Chicago, most people want a quick weekend get away. They do not want to fight through Friday night traffic to drive for 3 hours every weekend. On the flip side, anybody who wants to get away from the big city needs to drive for a few hours.

Factor in the value of the land if sold for homes or shopping centers and you end up with very few locations, and they are mostly seasonal with a small temp area.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground