Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Memorial Day 2010/ July 4th 2010

Looking ahead, do you guys have some ideas for those two weekends.
Things book up quickly and depending on where we go, we can start booking even now if it is a Pa. state park.

Some of us have talked about going to the Ohiopyle area for white water rafting and didnt know if that would be a good place for the July 4th weekend or just a regular weekend sometime. Jim, you know that area pretty good I think. What do you think would be a good time for that and where would we camp?

Any thoughts for those two Holidays. Or any other time for that matter.

Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Sandy and I plan to attend some of north central group's rallies in 2010.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
First off, the Ohiopyle State Park is not condusive to Motorhome camping. There are only 2 different loop locations where there might be 3-4 level & large electric sites for MH's. Our July Ohiopyle site Trailers no problem. Another somewhat more suitable place might be Youghiogheny Lake "Core of Engineers" campground 5 miles upstream from Ohiopyle State Park. They have a bunch of level electric sites. I have some pictures, but I'll have to hunt for them.....We have only white watered rafted there one time. But going in late May the water would be ice cold....This past July we spent 10 nights at Laurel Hill SP. and 4 nights at Ohiopyle SP.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Tom, That would be great if you join us next season. Do you have any thoughts on those two holidays?

Jim, it looks like Laurel Hill state park only has three 30amp sites and the rest are 20amp so that might be tough in July.

So if we were to think about the Seven Springs, Laurel Hill, Yough area for July, do you have some thoughts on campgrounds?

Then what about Memorial Day?
Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
How bout Mohican state park in Loudonville for Memorial Day? Top rated mountain bike trail, canoe trips, go carts, pool, full hookup,horse back riding, beautiful scenery, etc etc. Would have to book the sites end of Nov.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I think we'd be up for Mohican for Memorial Day. Seems Dave & I always travel the furthest whenever the group heads anywhere east. It'd be nice to go someplace fairly close to us for a change.

It's expensive, but I'd throw out Buckeye Lake/KOA, but maybe it could be one better served for the B1G1 nite (as well as Whispering Hills's B1G1 that they usually have early in the season).

Tom, what about that campground you stay at in PA? Didn't you post once that they'd have room for a small group of us?

Although, I'll tell ya, I don't think we'll be going to any of the MI state parks again anytime soon. 'Bout had a heart attack when went to register at the ranger station & had to pay $8 per day per vehicle for visitor passes this past vacation. I knew they requred a pass, but I didn't think it'd have to be for BOTH vehicles. It made the rate for an electric only site $39 per nite! I can get a fhu site at an OH SP for less than that... & save gas by going local.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The full service Mohican sites are nice, especially the back-in ones. Mohican has 2 different loops of full service sites. I like the rear one because they are a little larger sized and there are some trees for shade. The July 4th weekend would be hard to reserve because people will be reserving for that whole week. In that rear full service section the back-ins are on one side of the street and the pull-thrus are on the other side. The pull-thru ones have an issue that if it rains they stay wet. Memorial Day would be much easier if we got together and reserved 6 months out to the day of our arrival. So were talking about a Nov. 28th date to call in for a Friday May 28th arrival date. The mountain biking offers a 28 mile loop single track and a one mile technical single track just behind the campsites. The pool is top notch, and one of the cleanest ones around. As far as Mohican I should have some pictures and site discriptions for all the sites in that rear section in my database.....somewhere...

As far as Laurel Hill's electric sites, they do have all 30 amp. sites and a few 50 amp sites. But the new "pet" section is only the lower loop were there is grass pads only. Us trailer folks would be OK, but I would be worried about Bill & Joe. For us that would be a long haul for a 3 day weekend. If it wasn't for the pets, there are 2 different loops that would hold larger rigs with paved pads. This was either the first or 2nd year they offered a pet section here.

In a earlier post I had mentioned about Youghiogheny near Ohiopyle. Here are a few pix's of the sites Pix#1 Pix#2 Pix#3 I'm not sure how their reservation system works. It most likely is the same as Tionesta.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Leaving for 6 months in FL tomorrow so Memorial Day and July 4th is not on the radar scope yet. I like Ohio. I live only 40 miles from the Ohio line.

I park at Sharps Campground in Shelocta, PA for the summer unless we're on the road. Sharps is only rallies, no off the street overnighters. They only have 2 shelters so they only take 2 rallies a weekend. I could check for open weeks this winter if anyone is interested. No activities at the campground, except playground, basketball and new shuffleboard court, but a nice fishing lake within 5 miles. Jimmy Stewart's birthplace is 5 miles away in Indiana. And this is an easy access from Ohio on route 422 but it's 80 miles from the Ohio line on 422. A plus is that it is only $17 a night with full 50 amp hookups. Shelter with fully equipped kitchen is included. Most rallies are Thu to Sun but longer is no problem as long as you don't crowd the other weekends. I have some photos if there is interest.

If anyone wants to come over for a weekend in the Spring to check the place out just let me know. I'll get you a place to park with hookups.

I would like to go to Geneva State Park sometime.

-Tom

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Tom,

Great, thanks! How many rigs does Sharps consider "a rally"? Do they consider a holiday weekend long enough for a "rally"? I think we Pond Piggies had 10 rigs Cutty's for Memorial Day last yr & it was probably the closest we've come in quite a while to all of us being in the same place at the same time. Most times, it's 4-5 rigs.

Safe trip to FL for you & Sandy. Please send up warm weather & sunshine. It's supposed to be a hard winter here if you put any stock into Poor Richard's Almanac.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Great, thanks! How many rigs does Sharps consider "a rally"? Do they consider a holiday weekend long enough for a "rally"?
Rallies are mostly Friday thru Sunday with many showing up on Thursday for a longer weekend. And some wait until Monday to leave. Many of the clubs that utilize Sharps are old and not picking up new members. Some rallies are only 4 or 5 units. Escapees, Good Sam, Newmar and FMCA may field 15 or 20 RVs. I think he has about 50 sites with hookups.

-Tom

Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Tom,

Have a safe trip to Florida. We'll actually be chasing you down there for a week at Fort Wilderness next weekend, but I wish we were staying for 6 months too. We'll see you on the forums and next Spring.

Joe
Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We're in for the gatherings

Sheryl and I look forward to seeing everyone again. Had a fantastic time on the 2009 trips.
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:40 AM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thumbs up Mohican's OK with me

We've never been to Mohican so it's a new adventure for us. As with most places in eastern Ohio we've camped at, there's no easy way to get there from Pittsburgh. The most direct routing appears to be US-22/US-250/I-77/OH-39/OH-3 to park. I estimate the travel time to be approximately 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour longer than going to Evergreen; another late arrival if we have to leave Friday evening.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Here is a link to a few pictures for Mohican. What Mohican has to offer:

~The cleanest stainless steel heated pool around

~On average the sites are nice, large and level

~2 loops of full service sites (both back-in and pull-thru)

~Commissary / Snack bar / Ice Cream Patio / Game Room (everyone heads for the Ice Cream shop at dusk)

~18 mile single track mountain bike loop

~one mile technical single mountain bike course

~a number of hiking trails

~rafting & tubing in the Clear Creek behind the electric sites

~Grist Mill (1/4 mile away)

~Canoeing (1/2 mile away)

~Log Cabin Nature Center

~Must I say more......