RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > North Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:30 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Move to Illinois?

I am moving from Missouri to Illinois. Missouri didn't require a license to drive my class A. Illinois says I need a a class c but then said I need a class a license. This guy did not seem to know. I asked him what I will have to do and he said a road and written test. I asked him where I would have to drive it and he said they have a standard course they take. I said are there side roads and they said yes. Does anyone know what they usually do for this test? This is 20,700 pounds. 8' wide and 12' 6Ē tall I don't like side roads mainly for the height and when vehicles are on both sides things can get tight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #2

If the inspector asks you to turn down a road that you don't like the look of, then don't. Say that you are concerned about damage to your rig and suggest that you go to a less restricted area.

You could also ask what the route is or follow when they take someone else. Again if you don't like it then refuse. After all it is your rig and he won't be paying for any damage incurred. Be polite, and say something like, I'm sorry but that may cause damage to my rv and I do not want to take it down that road. Many of the inspectors have never driven anything bigger than a car anyway.
Just my nickels worth.

Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 12:48 PM   #3

According to info in LINK.....Class C is all you need for your MH
See pg. 4
https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/p...s/dsd_x142.pdf

*Class A....COMBINATION of vehicles GCWR >26,001 PROVIDED towed vehicle GVWR >10,000
*Class B....SINGLE vehicle with GCVWR >26,001with towed vehicle weight <10K
**Class C...vehicle with a GVWR of more than 16,000 pounds, but less than 26,001 poundsand towing vehicle <10K
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:04 PM   #4

Moving TO Illinois? Wow! Thatís pretty rare these days.

Many years ago I drove a bus and had to get the equivalent of a Class B license. The road test was no big deal at that time. They mainly wanted to know if you drive safely - especially on turns. We did go to an empty lot where I had to prove I could back up the bus. No big deal. I highly doubt they would take you anywhere where there would be a significant chance of you hitting anything.
FWIW, Iíve always found the people at any Illinois DMV office to be extremely nice and helpful.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #5

I just took my test to get a CDL Class A.

I know it's not the same as what you're doing, but the examiners know very well what you're driving. They will not ask you to go anywhere unsafe or where your vehicle can't go. You will not be the first one they are testing.

Word of caution - pay attention to signs on the side of the road, and especially to height clearance markers. Would be quite common for the inspector to ask you what the height marking was on the bridge you just went under, or what the posted weight limit was on the bridge you just crossed. They want to know that you're paying attention. About a month before my test I started calling out all signs when I was driving my car just to get in the habit of looking at and remembering them all.

Also, get in the habit of driving with two hands. Many of us haven't tested since high school, and this is something they look for.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
foundwaldo,

I live in Illinois. The Sec of State handbook states you will need a Class B Non-Commercial license. If you look at the MO sample tests online it will pretty well cover the test however there may be 4 questions that don't apply to RVs however the test is not RV exclusive so recommend you contact an IL DMV office close to you and pick up the book for Non-CDL licenses and study it. You can miss 3 questions. Test is computerized.

You can not take the written test and the driving test the same day - they give you a permit and you have 30 days to take test.

Driving test involves backing between parallel lines 100 ft and driving the in-city course. There were limbs hanging over the right lane so I pulled over and explained to the tester that normally I drive in the right lane but with the limbs and overhanging signs I move to the left lane as traffic allows. He didn't dock me and I passed.

Since you are still licensed in MO and authorized to drive your MH even after passing the written test for the Non-Commercial Class B license so you should not need to have an Illinois licensed person with you on driving test day but I would recommend verifying this.

Best of luck - Richard
Old 03-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I just took my test to get a CDL Class A.

I know it's not the same as what you're doing, but the examiners know very well what you're driving. They will not ask you to go anywhere unsafe or where your vehicle can't go. You will not be the first one they are testing.

Word of caution - pay attention to signs on the side of the road, and especially to height clearance markers. Would be quite common for the inspector to ask you what the height marking was on the bridge you just went under, or what the posted weight limit was on the bridge you just crossed. They want to know that you're paying attention. About a month before my test I started calling out all signs when I was driving my car just to get in the habit of looking at and remembering them all.

Also, get in the habit of driving with two hands. Many of us haven't tested since high school, and this is something they look for.

WHY the Class B?
OPs MH is UNDER 26,001#
Old 03-13-2020, 06:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
From page one of IL Rules of the road NON CDL Vehicles:

Recreational Vehicle: When using a recreational vehicle primarily for personal use, you do not need to obtain a CDL.
Romer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Read further and you'll see the class of drivers license you need based on vehicle weight. Anything over 26001 lbs requires either a Class B or Class A Non-CDL. IL State Troopers don't pull RVers over unless they are driving unsafely or excess speeding however, if you have an accident, your fault or the other person's, they do ask for your DL. If you do not have the correct DL they will impound the vehicle and ticket you. Since you are not legally licensed to drive the vehicle you have no valid insurance (read the fine print on your policy), hence, the repairs to your MH will not be covered by the insurance company. From my experience talking with fellow RVers in Illinois I would estimate that over half are not properly licensed. Even the majority of dealers selling MH in Illinois either don't know the State's DL requirements or now but lie about the requirements which is sad.
Unfortunately many stop reading the DOT requirements after reading that privately owned, non-commercially operated RVs are exempt from CDL.
Illinois doesn't require additional tests for air-brakes, etc. but it should would help, IMHO.

Richard
Old 03-20-2020, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
foundwaldo,

I live in Illinois. The Sec of State handbook states you will need a Class B Non-Commercial license.

Best of luck - Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Read further and you'll see the class of drivers license you need based on vehicle weight. Anything over 26001 lbs requires either a Class B or Class A Non-CDL. IL

Richard

OP states MH is 20,700# GVWR (Specs show same and GCVWR is 26K)
Over 16K---less then 26,001#
So wouldn't a Class C DL be valid???

http://www.rvweb.com/guides/manufact...-1098310283612
Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I always drive my mh with 2 hands on the wheel. I haven't done the chf or the safe-t bar. So it is really hard to control.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old-Biscuit

I've been off this forum for awhile. Boy did I make a newbie mistake. Check Check and then check again. I don't know what I was thinking but I am glad you caught it and I apologize for my mistake - JUST WRONG!

Thanks for pointing this out - Richard