Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Be Prepared Texas

The new two step program to force an inspection before you can renew tags had a first for me yesterday.

I was asked to see if my license had a new Non-Commercial CDL option on it !

First time that's ever happened, the inspector said Yep, they were specifically notified to check for that.

He said one more thing they have to do for the $7 he gets from us So go get your Class B CDL ~~~
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #2

Interesting.

Glad I have mine.

I can already hear the litany of complaints coming from folks who will now have to follow the law in getting a proper driver's license.
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

What did they use to trigger the requirement? Was it your GVWR or actual weight?
Old 04-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

I just renewed my mine last month and did not have to show any license. But I do not weigh over 26,000 lbs.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Just cruisin - not sure since I had the proper license... bet it's gvwr

redcolorado - you renewed in Texas ?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Just cruisin - not sure since I had the proper license... bet it's gvwr

redcolorado - you renewed in Texas ?
Yes I did. Unless they have changed the law in the last year, the most current I could find is dated August 2017, you can drive a vehicle with s GVWR less than 26,001 lbs with a class C license. Transportation code 521.083 covers class C license.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #7

Texas DL

As I read this new law, it is all about the driver getting the required license for a rig above 26000 lbs. I have been driving our coach for 15 years and was told I did not need a cdl or special license when I bought the coach. I have a normal Class C.

So, my DL expires in 2023, and I will be 80! I guess I should go get a new DL!
Jas415-1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #8

Howdy!

Will that also apply to folks towing a trailer that ways excess of 10,000 lbs?

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:42 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think so as I recall when researching when we had a 41 foot 5'er

All I really know is that you can call the state of Texas 5 times and get 5 different stories the law is so contradictory in some phrases... I just decided to get my non commercial CDL just to be safe - a test drive in the coach, and an archaic test about how many reflectors a farmers trailer needs and it was done !
Old 06-27-2018, 06:47 AM   #10

Texas Licenses

The aggravating part about mine was getting new plates for it a month ago, someone stole/borrowed mine, and they did not ask about the drivers license. I guess they dont have to but I was not aware they had changed the law 4 years ago. I truly realize it is my responsibility to get the correct license but the least the state could have done was mail out a reminder to the owners of the 'over 26000' vehicles!

Either way maybe I am 'grandfathered'!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Be sure to get to the state to make sure they turn off those stolen plates !!!
Mine weren't stolen, but on a trade in and ended up on a mercury suv in New York and the toll bill ended up over $2000 and fines to match before I FINALLY got someone in new york 7 months and 20 phone calls later with a modicum of common sense to realize the picture of the offenders car on the toll bill was NOTHING like the registered description here in Texas !!!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

TDL

I reported the stolen/borrowed plates to the local constables office. Also, i read on some areas that in getting the driving test, some sites are requiring the driver to parallel park the motorhome. Is that common practice and I wonder if anyone has EVER parallel parked their motorhome as a routine thing. In all my life I have never even seen one parallel parked except for class C's.

Does anyone have any idea why, except that is is part of the Class C routine? Also, I was told to study the CDL book, section 14. There is nothing on there about a motorhome. I agree on the signs, rules, etc., but in hindsight shouldn't the state in requiring us to have additional licenses requirements, have created a section for RV's and rules, and a driving test for RV's instead of 18 wheelers?
Old 07-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas415-1942 View Post
... Also, i read on some areas that in getting the driving test, some sites are requiring the driver to parallel park the motorhome. I had to back up mine to 'psuedo parallel' park, but nothing in the way so it was easy - you should be able to do it anyway since there are back in campsites

Does anyone have any idea why, except that is is part of the Class C routine? NOPE! Also, I was told to study the CDL book, section 14. There is nothing on there about a motorhome. I agree on the signs, rules, etc., but in hindsight shouldn't the state in requiring us to have additional licenses requirements, have created a section for RV's and rules, and a driving test for RV's instead of 18 wheelers?

To your last point:
NOOOOOO ! They are into my business enough
Old 07-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #14

When ever you either trade in a vehicle or sell one outright, always keep your plates from the vehicle being sold or traded in. I even do that on my motorcycles.
mloomis34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas