Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #1

E. TX future first time 5th wheel buyer

Oscar the cats Mom is looking at purchasing a 5th wheel for a permanent domicile sometime around mid 2012. I am located in East TX so if there is anybody in this forum in my area that would be great to know so that I could communicate my questions on a regular basis as I research. But to start off w/ here are a few. 1. New vs. used purchase....?? May sound absurd but I have read about bedbug issues in used units, since they are enclosed the bedbugs are pretty much every where in the interior.....So is it better to buy new for a first time?? 2. Everything I see on the internet has king size beds, and I want a queen, so if I purchase a new 5th wheel how do I get a queen bed instead of king if they come w/ king?? 3. I know the next question is all relative but perhaps the top 5 "name brands" to look at and consider for good long quality, and for after purchase customer support.?? 4. Perhaps in the list of name brands the "classification" of each be it luxury, or mid, or basic low??? I'd be more interested in mid to luxury! 5. I do not plan on towing or driving a big a** truck since I am only 5'2 and am not entirely comfortable w/ that responsibility at present moment. Sooo how do I go about locating services that would tow and set up the unit after purchase?? Or does the dealer I buy from do that upon initial purchase?? If so is there an extra cost?? 6. What sort of daily, weekly, monthly maintanance is involved w/ full time 5"er upkeep?? 7. How do I locate service people for any 5th wheel problems that may be encountered during it's duration?? 8. Along w/ purchase, the location I plan to live is also part of my research. I would like to live in an area that is quiet and full of nature, and yet inside of an hour to Dallas if possible...Any ideas would be great to learn of....Are there year round RV parks or I guess mobile home parks???? Any one in TX that would know of good quiet, safe and nature friendly place closer to Dallas, or will consider something between say Tyler and Dallas??? 9. Is financing similar to a car, in that you would be better going through a credit union, or generally finance through the dealers??? 10. It looks as if all the manufactures are all up north, and I was hoping to deal w/ them directly, however it looks like I will have to work w/ the retail dealers on a local level instead is this correct??? I could not find any manufacturers in the south??? 11. Speaking of dealers, any recommendations on dealers that are in East TX that have a good solid honest reputation??? 12. One last question just thought of, are the any manufactures that make 5th wheels with bathtubs, everything I see is shower only??? Anyway I have a lot more but this is just a start....thanks and happy holidays.
Oscarthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm sure that the folks in the Texas Boomers will walk you through your request. Just give them a minute to get here and they'll help you out.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hi and Welcome t the forum.

List of fifth wheel manufacturers:
Fifth Wheel RV Manufacturers

2nd list:
Fifth Wheel | 5th Wheel Trailers, Fifth Wheel RV and Fifth Wheel Campers available with RV Search by RVUSA

Never heard of the bed bug thing. I like used for a couple reasons #1 someone else ate the depreciation, #2 most of the bugs (no pun intended) have been worked out. A thorough Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) needs to be performed before purchasing whether new or used of course.

Bed size is a function of the floor plan you choose. Obviously, when buying used you are limited to what is available. Buying new you tell them what you want.

Towing and setup are easily accomplished. Plenty of companies out there that will do it for you. If you buy new have the dealer do it. If buying used the seller may deliver it for you if not too far away. I assume your intention is t set it up once and stay there for sometime otherwise having someone tow and setup your 5er could get expensive.

Locating a mobile repair company should be done through recommendations of others in your park or area once you are settled in. Ask the CG staff who they recommend. Don't worry there are plenty of mobile repair companies.

Sorry that I can't answer the 5th wheel specific questions. Someone with 5er knowledge will be along soon I'm sure to answer your questions.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome Aboard OTCM

Wow! Yeh, 5'2" going on 6'5" I think you'll manage, just fine. Welcome to the club, get ready to be overwhelmed. 'Sounds like you're off to a great start, have done lots of good work already.

Indeed, lots of 5'er owners to help you with those questions.

In general, Used is the way to go. The depreciation free-fall settles down after three years; many lightly-used rigs still feel new at that point.

Not to sound hypocritical; but, there are RV shows in Dallas and Fort Worth very soon. Dallas' show at Market Hall is in late February HERE. Fort Worth is not as big, but it is coming soon, kicking off January 5th at the Convention Center HERE. Walking through several dozen new units will at least give you ideas, and there will be no shortage of salesmen and friendly RV'ers to answer questions.

We just did a trip to Canton, were amazed at the number of RV parks within a stone's throw of I-20.

RVParkReviewsTexas is a good starting point to find additional sites. You'll want to carefully preview candidates: some that cater to fulltimers aren't all that great. But, many are truly nice, like tidy little towns.

Another benefit of site visits: you might meet folks who do exactly what you're proposing. Nothing like sitting at someone's kitchen table and talking about weathering August/January in Texas, managing the wastewater, planning grocery shopping, etc. when the person opposite you has done it for years.

Best of luck!
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:47 AM   #5

Mill Creek Ranch RV Resort in Canton is a great place. We visit there a couple of times a year.

http://www.millcreekranchresort.com/
Retracwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you're looking for something to live in full time and not move from place to place, I would suggest looking at mobile homes that are two-three times larger and half or a third the cost of a 5er. If you're going to be moving around then the 5er is the way to go. I would suggest visiting as many dealers as possible and also attending the afore mentioned shows. Good luck in your search.