Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

Route through New Mexico

We are planning a trip through N.M. Trying to plan a route from Silver City to Carlsbad Caverns.

Can't decide if we should go through Las Cruces, Alamogordo or head up through Roswell.

We are not in a particular hurry and would like comments and suggestions on the most interesting path.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2021, 08:32 AM   #2

We have done both. Neither one is very exciting. The Rosewell route has less traffic, but the 2 lane road has lots of tanker trucks on it.

If you go thru Rosewell, stop at the Alien Museum. It’s worth the couple of bucks to get in and see their “evidence”.

We enjoyed Carlsbad, but plan on getting there fairly early as it is busy during the summer.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #3

I would tyake I10 to Lass Cruces, 70 to Alamogordo, stopping to see White Sands, 82 east to Artesia. Anice pretty drive thru mtn. At Artesia you are just north of Carlsbad.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you get to the caverns to early, you will miss the bats. They winter in Mexico. They put on a great show.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ruidoso is a pleasant town to go through or even stop for a night or two at one of the many RV parks in the area. The space museum in Alamogordo is worth spending an afternoon at.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #6

Thanks for all this information. There are so many options it becomes overwhelming.

We were told the drive from Siver City to Quemado is beautiful and worth taking the time. If we did that I guess the next stop would be Socorro. Then south to Alamogordo and White Sand or would it be better to skip that and go from Socorro to Artiesa?

We are planning mid May time frame.

Looking for ideas and suggestions.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would say the run between Silver City to Quemado is OK, not as scenic as say Colorado but better than I-10 by a long shot. Between Quemado and Socorro is just OK, some scenic views. The VLA is there if you want to stop and see that. Even if it's not "open" there's a visitor parking area you can stop and wander around to see some static displays. East of Socorro it's fairly flat. You'll pass by the White Sands Stallion gate which is the road to the trinity site. After that you go through the valley of fire, which amounts to lava fields, and not much else. Starts to get hilly as you approach Capitan and you can continue east through Carrizozo towards Roswell/Artesia or turn southeast toward Ruidoso. I like Ruidoso, it reminds me of small towns in Colorado and is a bit of an alpine oasis in the middle of NM. Coming from Silver City from the south via I-10 a bit could have you going through Cloudcroft which is kind of scenic towards Alamogordo where the space museum is. Seems the northern run through Quemado would be kind of out of your way but does offer a wider variety of NM landscape, if that's the goal. Lots of distance between modest attractions but if you have the time you can say you've been there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:29 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
If you're going to Quemado, at least stop in Pie Town and sample the pie. That's about all the town has. LOL!
Old 03-16-2021, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
I would say the run between Silver City to Quemado is OK, not as scenic as say Colorado but better than I-10 by a long shot. Between Quemado and Socorro is just OK, some scenic views. The VLA is there if you want to stop and see that. Even if it's not "open" there's a visitor parking area you can stop and wander around to see some static displays. East of Socorro it's fairly flat. You'll pass by the White Sands Stallion gate which is the road to the trinity site. After that you go through the valley of fire, which amounts to lava fields, and not much else. Starts to get hilly as you approach Capitan and you can continue east through Carrizozo towards Roswell/Artesia or turn southeast toward Ruidoso. I like Ruidoso, it reminds me of small towns in Colorado and is a bit of an alpine oasis in the middle of NM. Coming from Silver City from the south via I-10 a bit could have you going through Cloudcroft which is kind of scenic towards Alamogordo where the space museum is. Seems the northern run through Quemado would be kind of out of your way but does offer a wider variety of NM landscape, if that's the goal. Lots of distance between modest attractions but if you have the time you can say you've been there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark,
Thanks for this information. We have reservations in Silver City and making them in Carlsbad. In between it looks like we can decide which route to take when we get there and land somewhere without reservations. Should any of these routes be avoided in a big rig?
Old 03-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd say if you go the Roswell route to not only skip the Alien "museum" but miss the whole town. There is a truck bypass, Hwy 70, you'll pick it up just East of town as you come in via 380 and it skirts the entire town and the approximately 2.7 million traffic lights you encounter on 285. You'll exit 70 onto 285 south right near the airport on the far south side of town.

If you plan to visit primarily for the Caverns don't be tempted to stay at the Carlsbad KOA. It's not a bad place it's just 40 miles from the National Park entrance.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #11

In a big rig, The road between silver City and Hillsborough would be challenging. Beautiful scenery, but very twisty. Gas stations are scarce north of silver City. Plan accordingly.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route