Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:41 AM   #1
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am looking for state parks in Florida mid east or west coast to south that can accomodate big rigs are clean and safe. Any help would be appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2005, 04:41 AM   #2
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I am looking for state parks in Florida mid east or west coast to south that can accomodate big rigs are clean and safe. Any help would be appreciated
Old 05-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #3

Try this link-
http://www.abfla.com/parks/

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #4

I think you will find most all of the State Parks are safe. Generally they are not located in the larger metro area or near the tourist attractions.

There are also some excellent county parks.

If you are looking for a place in Jacksonville, I would suggest Hanna Park which is actually a City park. The entrance doesn't look that great, but once inside you have the Ocean, lots of space, and very low costs.
http://www.coj.net/Departments/Parks...rk/default.htm

If you are looking for something along the Space Coast, Brevard County has a great park known as Manatee Hammock, on the Indian River directly across from the Space Center. Manatee is has heavy shade and is a great central location for all of the Space Coast activities.
http://www.campingspacecoast.com/rv_tent/manatee.htm

Another great park is owned by the Port Authority at Port Canaveral. It fronts the Ocean and the opening into the Port of Canaveral, it is called Jetty Park. GREAT fishing pier out into the channel. You can watch the cruise ships, fishing boats, an ocassioanl Submarine go and come. It is also directly across the channel from Cape Canaveral where many of the unmanned rockets are launched. YOU WILL KNOW IF ONE GOES OFF !!! Many good restaurants at the Port if you like Seafood, and you are about 90 minutes due east of Disney/Sea World/ Univesal all via two laned toll road known as the Bee Line Expressway.
http://www.portcanaveral.org/funport/parks.htm

If you are looking in the St. Petersburg area you need to check out Ft. DeSota Park, also a county park. You will feel like you are in the FL Keys, great beaches lots of shade, it is located where Tampa Bay empties into the Gulf of Mexico..an outstanding park. You can make reservations online (HIGHLY SUGGESTED) it is a very popular park.
http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

In addition this site will tell you all about the rest of the State Parks.
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/

If you have specific areas you are looking to visit let me know and I will impart all I know regarding the State and Municipal parks. The Panhandle Tallahassee to Pensacola have some great spots, but you need to check closely to assure they have recovered from last years storms. The Florida Keys have a couple of GREAT spots, but you are looking at higher daily costs.

Feel free to post here or e-mail direct with any questions.
MRS FLORIDABOOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:38 AM   #5
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
The problem I have is that I have seen some state parks that are ok but they are tight in & tight out and not suitable for large motorhomes. I am looking for state or county parks with paved roads and large open roads if possible anywhere in the state. Seems as though everyone has a different opinion as to what constitutes a nice campground. The parks I have been to are Topsail, Henderson Beach, Ortona South, John Prince County Park, Salt Springs Ocala, & Stephen Foster. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:36 AM   #6

Wekiva Springs is "nice" State Park with some large sites.
In fact we are 36', double slide and tow dolly and will be staying on site 34 for several days in June.

2004 Damon Intruder
DANEL-KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:28 PM   #7

GCI,
We travel in a 40' Untimate Freedom, and yes tight is an issue at MANY of the State and Local parks. Topsail is the exception for a State Park here in FL.

If you call the individual parks directly, rather than going through the reservation process, they will be able to tell you if a large motorhome will work in their park.
Hillsborough River State Park, on the internet, says it can only hold up to 32', but I KNOW, and if you call direct they will tell you it can handle up to 38-40 footers in certain sites.

If you would like more specifics that I might have first hand knowledge of, if I knew where you wanted to stay near might help.

I can tell you Manatee Hammock is tight, but has some open spots roads are paved. Anastasia in St. Augustine forget it, whole new meaning to tight.

Any reason you want to limit to State and Local parks? Summer rates at some of the upscale parks are very attractive in the summer here in FL if you stay away from the Disney area. Seasons in the Sun located in Mims FL is VERY nice paved streets and sites, Greaat clubhouse with two pools and two jacuzzi pools. Close to I-95 just north of Titusville FL is one example.
MRS FLORIDABOOMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the advice. We have been staying at the private and member only parks for the past 5 years during Jan-April. Last year we went to some state and federal parks to do something different and were pleasantly surprised. I was amazed to see the size of the sites and meticulious care at some of the state and federal parks. I have also seen some parks that are very tight and geared to rural camping from 30 or more yrs ago. I always ask for opinions from travelers who have been to the parks first then I try to ascertain what type of RV they have. So far I have never got bad info. Every park we visted was very nice and worth spending a few weeks or more at.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #9

There is a nice Army Corps of Engineers in Port St. Lucie.
They only have about 6 or so sites.
Bad thing is they don't have sewer at sites, but they do have a dump station.

if you were looking for a place to see something different for a few days this place sits at a lock on the canal that connects the Intercoastal Waterway with Lake Okeechobee and eventually the Gulf of Mexico. You get to see some amazing boats/yachts ect go through the locks. They even have a few pull in sites for boats to spend the night. Super clean, all paved, super limited.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:16 AM   #10

Well, they say timing is everything and I just got back from a 10 day vacation & out 'stopover' was St. Lucie ACOE & only about 8 sites for TT's or motor homes & 8 or so for boats which are docked.
It was nice & certainly cheap enough!
We stayed at Hanna Park in Jacksonville also this trip and there were lots of motorhomes there!
Also we stayed at Fort Desoto in St Petersburg on the way back home for 3 nights and they had everything there also! --great beaches too--
Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Lake Louisa near Orlando has big sites some 50 amp.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #12

Silver River Springs State park. It has the largest sites that I have ever seen. The pull through's are huge. It is a fairly new state park with water and electric hook ups. It does have two dump stations located in the campground. I have a couple of pictures in my photo album under misc.

2005 Carriage Compass 30 RLS
floridacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:21 PM   #13

Floridacamper
I checked out your pictures of Silver River, and the sites are huge.
Looks like kind of a fun location, perhaps we need to schedule a Florida Rally there !!
We have done the Encore Park at Salt Springs a couple of times, so Silver River would give us all a chance to check out the other side. Ladies would probably like it as it would be closer to the absolute necessity SHOPPING.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:28 AM   #14

RMM, I think that you would enjoy it there. Like I said the sites are huge and most of the pull throughs are something like 75 yards not feet. I hope this is a pattern of how Florida's new state campgrounds will look in the future. Very Nice Park

2005 Carriage Compass 30 RLS
floridacamper is offline   Reply With Quote