Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southeast Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:57 AM   #15

Took mine back in 2018, the guy never asked or mentioned air brakes , funny thing the day before I took the road test , it just so happened I had a minor leak and spent a hour or so finding and fixing it. None the less, I would be prepared and make sure your system is working properly. The road test was easy, just drive safely, remember what the speed limit signs and bridge heights are , he might ask you after you pass them what the numbers were. 2 of the biggest challenges are the portion where you do a back up and pull up, the pull up will require you stop within a small area without going over, on my MH, the nearest spot you can see on the road surface is about 9 ft out in front so unless you practice this a bit it is a bit tricky, also the back into a simulated alley, you must get in there without hitting pylons on the sides and you must stop with rear of coach within 18 0r 24 inches( forget) of a so called dock.
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Class F is not required in SC. When I came there from Pa. I did need a Class F there. The test was interesting, drove on a couple of very narrow twisty road and then had to parallel park my 40 footer between 2 cones. No backup camera. I passed but have now down-sized to a 25 foot class A.
dpm91141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm91141 View Post
Class F is not required in SC. When I came there from Pa. I did need a Class F there. The test was interesting, drove on a couple of very narrow twisty road and then had to parallel park my 40 footer between 2 cones. No backup camera. I passed but have now down-sized to a 25 foot class A.
How do you figure that??? You might want to fact check before you give advice.
Class E and F Driver’s Licenses
A Class E driver's license is required to drive non-commercial single unit vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) more than 26,000 pounds. Examples of Class E vehicles include trucks and motor homes (recreational vehicles/RVs). When you*practice driving, you must be accompanied by an experienced licensed driver. Here's what SCDMV has to say about it.

A Class F license is required to drive non-commercial combination vehicles with a GVW more than 26,000 pounds. Class F vehicles are the same as Class E vehicles plus a towed trailer or vehicle. When you*practice driving, you must be accompanied by an experienced licensed driver.
You*must*have prior driving experience, or have held a*beginner's permit*for the license you're interested in earning for at least 180 days, to apply.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
South Carolina requires Class "E" and Class "F" licenses if the vehicle is over 26,000 lbs.
If your vehicle is less than 26000 you do not need either

OP made an incorrect statement
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
South Carolina requires Class "E" and Class "F" licenses if the vehicle is over 26,000 lbs.
If your vehicle is less than 26000 you do not need either

OP made an incorrect statement
This thread is 14 months old. I am the OP and below is my original post.
Quote:
Need SC Driver with South Carolina class or F or CDL drivers license
Just upgraded to a diesel Pusher and now I need a safety driver in the Greenville Travelers rest area to help me get my Class F license.

Anyone interested or knows of someone who might be please contact me
Thanks

2004 Travel Supreme Select 45DSO4
Jarhead 67-71
What, exactly is incorrect about it?????

Winemakers post above is correct and directly from the SC DMV website.

Note a class E OR class F license is needed, depending on your configuration and weight. NOT class E AND F
Old 04-21-2020, 09:31 AM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Investigating DL requirements in SC for RVs was and still is quite frustrating.

When we transitioned from a gasser to our current DP and asked the sales person at the various dealerships we visited as well as current owners that were selling their rigs they all told us "no special license needed".

When confronted with a printed page from the SCDMV website at least the sales people fessed up but with the caveat that the regs were never enforced.

Turns out the regs appear to be never enforced. Indeed no one at the test centers or DMV headquarters could ever tell me exactly what was needed.

In fact at DMV headquarters the CDL people told me I needed a regular DL and the regular DL people told me I needed a CDL.

In the end if you go to a test center and tell them you need a class E or F test they punch a button and the proper test comes up on the test computer.

If you schedule the driving test a CDL tester shows up and has a card for class E or F tests and that is the test they administer . They all, however, remain clueless as to the need and overall requirements for the license.

Indeed the website is unclear as to whether or not the safety driver must have the proper license or just a regular license.

I have since talked to many State Troopers, deputies, and local police and they all were not aware of a need for a special license for over 26K or over 26K and towing.

The next issue that always comes up:

"But if you have an accident without the proper license your insurance will not cover you."

Here my experience is limited to conversations with 6 individuals who had accidents and did not have the proper license.

Not one of them was cited for not having the proper license and not one was asked by their insurer to see a copy of their license and no ones claim was denied by their insurance company. YMMV
Old 04-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #21

No doubt there is confusion galore in many states.
Best advice is to never count on what a salesperson tells you.
Like they say... how can you tell if they are lieing?
If their lips are moving!
Many local DMV offices likewise dont know as they dont encounter it often. When I requested for a learners permit for RV in NY the clerk admitted never heard of one? Could not answer any questions and just gave me s contact # that turned out to be CDL office but finally got it figured out and road test scheduled. What the inspector requested I do did not agree with what I was told would be included/ excluded. I shrugged it off as just plain inexperience as most never bother. I didn't worry for 6-9 mos it took me to get it taken care of. Glad I'm legal and recommend it to all but wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver