Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #1

Electrical Outlet Issues

I know nothing about electricity, so excuse the incorrect verbiage.

I have a Chinook Premier. Recently, when I have been using my outlets, it all shuts off suddenly. The breaker doesn't flip, just the GCFI outlet needs to be reset.

I am usually just using a sewing machine (same one I've been using in here for the last 9 months) plus charging a phone or computer with a few lights on. Nothing more.

The first time it happened, I was using the generator for power. I turned it off, then on, and pressed the reset on the gcfi and everything powered on for a few seconds and then off. I "fixed" the issue by replacing all the 15 amp fuses.

The second time it happened, a few weeks later, I was plugged in to 30 amp shore power. I was charging a handheld vacuum and a computer. I pulled all the fuses and replaced 2 random 15 amp fuses. Plugged in again, and it was working again. (I have no idea what I'm doing)

This time, I was running the generator to power a sewing machine and charge a laptop. I'd been using this power without any changes for over an hour and it shorted. I pulled all the fuses again and restarted the generator a few times, but it's not back on yet.

The only electricity that stops working is the outlets. Everything (to my knowledge) else still works.

Please help! But explain it in simple terms
Lek086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your RV has 2 power systems 110 alternating current (AC) and 12 volt direct current (DC). AC power is from your generator or thru the 30 amp cord plugged in, DC power is from your house batteries.

Anything that has a standard 3 prong plug runs on AC power. The RV lights, the water pump, the refrigerator all run on DC power as does anything you plug into a cigarette lighter socket. The house batteries are separate from the starter battery if you have a motorhome. In my RV the DC circuits have fuses. The AC circuits have breakers and they are in the same panel.

It would be really helpful if you count tell us the year, make and model of your RV. More in another post.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
GFCI plugs can get old and weak. It sounds to me like you need to replace it. Also some GFCI systems have a GFCI breaker in the breaker box. Before deciding a breaker isn't tripped you should flip it off and then back on. It can be hard to tell.

I don't believe the fuses have anything to do with your AC power problem. It could be that the time spent swapping out the fuses allowed something to cool down. And then it worked again.

I really hope someone more knowledgeable comes to help you soon. I've about maxed out what help I can give. Good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-15-2017, 10:56 PM   #4

I have a 2003 Chinook Premier.

I've flipped all the breakers each time too. I'm just blindly doing things and hoping something works, so I have no idea what makes it eventually work. It's always taken a while, so the idea of something cooling down makes sense. Not sure what cools down or how to make it not heat up.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you tried an outlet on a different circuit?

You might need professional help with this problem. I know of a great automotive electrician near Cottonwood AZ who helped me sort out some issues. Since your issues seem to be only with AC power a general electrician might be able to fix you. I'm still thinking that a bad GFCI is to blame.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #6

I think I only have 1 circuit. There's only one gcfi outlet.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

Your fuses are probably the 12 VDC side of the distribution panel. That is the way all the units I have seen have been but there is probable a different one out there somewhere.

The same box as the fuses should have a couple of switches that are really circuit breakers. If one of them is tripped then resetting it should bring the power back on. If that fixes it you are drawing too much power, you have a loose connection or you have a bad breaker. A loose connection at the breaker will generate heat thus reducing the trip point of the breaker.

The other normal problem is the GFCI tripping. If pushing the reset button in the kitchen or bathroom fixes that then you have a faulty GFCI,a loose connection, or a grounding problem. The last is probably in the sewing machine.

The third possibility is a loose connection anywhere in the line between the panel to the GFCI to the socket you are plugging into.

Given your professed level of expertise your best bet would be to get someone who knows about electricity to check those things out The approach is to unplug the RV then tighten the screws snug but not gorilla tight. You don't want it broken. Fixtures without screws would be better off replaced with one's that have a screw terminal.

One of those answers will cover most problem. We left out the wiring in the wall, transfer switch, and a few other less common issues.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Then it would be easy to change it out for a new one. For safety make sure shore power is unplugged, generator is off and breaker is switched off. Then remove outlet cover and screws holding outlet. Pull outlet out so you can see all wires and connectors. Take a photo with your cellphone BEFORE removing any wires. This is how you make sure you get it put back correctly. Take the old outlet with you to buy a new one.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/elect...tlets/view-all
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #9

Generally the GFCI is set up to protect all outlets. There is an input side and an output side to the GFCI wiring connections. You always want to put wires to it back in the same place they came from. Other sockets don't care as much. Just keep white with white and black with black and on the correct sides of the socket.

Most RV's have the 120 VAC line connected to the GFCI then from the GFCI to the rest of the outlets except the microwave and refrigerator. You will probably find a hidden outlet for those appliances but they are not generally accessible and not protected that way.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical