Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jersey City to Vermont - Road Tips??

Will be traveling from Jersey City to Vermont later this year.

I have plenty of time to get there.

Looking for tips of roads to avoid, low overpasses and restrictions. Really just wondering what the simplest way to get there is, even if it takes me out of my way.

Good sams tried to route me right the tunnel... haha.. whoops , don't think that's gonna work
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

Wrong forum?

I'm going to guess this should be addressed to the Northeast Region forum instead of the Northwest Region forum. At least, I suspect you might more chance of a reply there.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Take the Garden State Pkwy north. there are a couple of areas where the clearance is low on the outer lanes. If you stay in the middle lane there is no problem. Get onto I-87 (the NY thruway) north to Albany. Then it depends on where in VT. you are going, but you will want to get onto the Northway. Central VT, exit at Glen Falls and take Rt 149 to the VT border then Rt 4. This is a nice road when you get into Vermont. This will take you to Rutland, (center state). If you can tell me where in VT you are going I can be more specific.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oh shoot! I thought I had picked Northeast.

Wonder if a MOD could move this for me?

I'm headed to westfield.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #5

If you have plenty of time then get around the NYC metroplex any way you want to. Once you get up to the Harriman/Bear Mountain areas you are in less congested old historical areas that should be most interesting to pass/poke through. Somebody else was asking about going up Rt 9 for that reason. Once you get up around Albany you can take rt 7 to Bennington and go any way you want to through Vt. Tour buses and Semi trucks do it every day. Taking the super slabs north of Albany or through Vermont miss the reasons for going there. The numbered highways are truck routes just stay on them. If there is an issue you will get adequate warning and a bypass. They don't want you messing up traffic either. ;-) Most of the tourist traps have bus parking motor homes can also use. If you want more specific information folks can probably give it to you if you ask.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The way TonyDi suggests is certainly the most direct. If you want to stay off of the Garden State you could back track on 78 and go north on 287 to 87. It is a nicer drive but a few miles longer.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
great, thanks! Mainly looking for routes to avoid. nothing worse than the anxiety of a low bridge, wrong turn, or some other mistake from not knowing the region.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
great, thanks! Mainly looking for routes to avoid. nothing worse than the anxiety of a low bridge, wrong turn, or some other mistake from not knowing the region.
Just remembered this. Even better would be to take 78 west to 24 north, which ends in 287. Check the map. It cuts off the corner and there is no back-tracking at all. Probably the fastest and nicest route, and no tolls until you get to Route 87 above Harriman, NY.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Got it. Currently good sam's takes me up US 1 & 9 to 80, 80 to 87 - but was unsure if this route was ok
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jersey-vermont.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	68193  
Old 07-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Noooo, that is the route from Hades.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
LOL, so push back then and up 287 via 24 north it is. Glad I asked!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might think about taking 87 north from Albany (No toll) and follow it all the way to near the Canadian border, pick up Route 2 east to 91 north until you get near Westfield. Contrary to the norm, 87, the Adirondack Northward is a very pretty drive. You also have the easy options of hopping off and traveling awhile on local roads if something strikes your interest. Route 2 will take through the Champlain Islands, near Burlington (great city to visit) and over a beautiful route to 91.
I lived in VT for 45 years, and visit a lot, so if there is anything I can help you with, let me know.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #13

If you want to take the scenic route try route 7 north thru Connecticut and Mass. to Vermont....very scenic. Suggest you pick up Rt 7 in Dabbury not on the Connecticut coast in Norwalk as that stretch is very heavy traffic.
Return trip cut over out of Vermont into New York and get on Route 22A. Connect to it using Route 4 west out of Rutland to Fair Haven, Vt. Route 22A will connect you to Route 22 south. This is a scenic route, two lanes and mostly 55 MPH except in small town speed traps. Many historic sites along the way. Study your maps to determine the best way around NYC and that crazy traffic.
I might suggest Rt22 south to I684 south to I287 that will get you into NJ via 287 and the Garden State Pkwy.....good luck.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomster View Post
If you want to take the scenic route try route 7 north thru Connecticut and Mass. to Vermont....very scenic. Suggest you pick up Rt 7 in Dabbury not on the Connecticut coast in Norwalk as that stretch is very heavy traffic.
Return trip cut over out of Vermont into New York and get on Route 22A. Connect to it using Route 4 west out of Rutland to Fair Haven, Vt. Route 22A will connect you to Route 22 south. This is a scenic route, two lanes and mostly 55 MPH except in small town speed traps. Many historic sites along the way. Study your maps to determine the best way around NYC and that crazy traffic.
I might suggest Rt22 south to I684 south to I287 that will get you into NJ via 287 and the Garden State Pkwy.....good luck.
You are an evil person. 7 might be OK but getting there from Jersey City...

Depending where you are headed for in VT I'd consider heading over 7 from Troy, NY then drifting North and East from Bennington VT. Give us a bit of what you want to accomplish and we can give you some ideas.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote