Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
Are you sure you need a licensed driver to get you there. In Texas I was told I did not need a driver to bring the RV to the test site that I could do it myself.

Since this was a fairly new requirement they were willing to cut me some slack. Most of us have been driving these rigs for years.

Good luck.
Hi. I wish it were not the case, but here is the text from the PennDOT website:

You must be accompanied by a licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age or a parent, guardian or spouse, who is at least 18 years of age who holds the appropriate class driver's license for the vehicle anytime you operate the vehicle. The accompanying driver must be seated in the seat right next to you.
(Bolding mine)

So it looks like I have not choice. :-(

Best
Mark
enigma2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
N2zon
"In NY, a test candidate is not allowed to drive to the test site, because it would be on at least some of the pavement on which the test will be conducted. Test candidates aren't allowed to drive any part of a test route, so they must be driven to the test site."

That doesn't fit with my experience. I drove to & from road test in NY with a properly licensed observer. No questions by the inspector other than she wanted to see the observers DL.
I dont believe NY DMV publishes road test routes so how would anyone know where they are?

From NY DMV requirements.

"To get an “R” endorsement: ... no written test is required. For the road test, a driver who is at least 21 years old, with a license valid for the vehicle you will drive during the test, must accompany you. (e.g., a driver license with an “R” endorsement or the correct Commercial Driver License). The road test will take approximately 15 minutes and will include turns, intersections and backing the vehicle to the curb. When you pass the road test, you must go to a motor vehicle office and pay the required fee to complete the license"

Must accompany you NOT must drive you to or from!

For a normal road test.?.
"You must bring a vehicle to drive during the road test...
If you drive to the road test site, you must also bring a supervising driver who is at least 21 and holds a license valid for the vehicle you will drive during the road test.Motorcycle applicants must bring a car or truck and a licensed driver to transport the license
examiner during the test."

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Thanks for the info. This is consistent with what I know for Pennsylvania.
enigma2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Conflicting and/or incomplete information from NYSDMV? Never!

From https://dmv.ny.gov/learner-permit-restrictions:

You may not drive with a learner permit

- <snip>

- in a DMV road test area

In some locations, it might be the case that one may drive to the test on a permit because the test starting point is not part of the road test area. For the very small number of driving tests I have taken (two!), that has not been the case. One was not drive to either of those starting points because they both fell inside a road test area.

In practice? No idea whether an examiner would call a cop to cite you or refuse to test you because you broke the rule. However, both the CDL drivers who accompanied me knew the rule. (No, I didn't need to take it twice. One test was canceled without notice on the first day they were canceled for COVID in our county.)

They used to mark at least some road test areas. I've seen the signs, though I'll admit I haven't seen one lately. The test areas are published, though, here: https://dmv.ny.gov/contact-us/road-test-sites-region

When I took my R endorsement test, the form on which the passed test was recorded became my temporary driver license, so I was able to drive home even though I could not drive to the test. Had I failed, the CDL driver (or a driver with an R endorsement) would have had to drive off the test site before we swapped seats so I could legally drive home on my permit.

I don't know the rules in PA with respect to arriving at, and departing, a road test starting point.

However, it's irrelevant to my suggestion. The state of registration does not matter if a driver is licensed to drive the rig. I think a NY Class D with an R endorsement holder would allow a driver to drive someone who had a test scheduled to and from that test, even though that driver's presence does not meet the requirement for the person being tested to be allowed to drive.

This might, or might not, help provide a workable solution for the OP.
The first link re restrictions failed so couldn't confirm.
The second linking to road test locations are directions on how to get to the start and show nothing about the test route. Unless there are signs to notify those with learners permit that they may not proceed on a given street how would anyone know?

I can see they may not want a lot of traffic on test routes from those just out practicing but I have always driven to road tests with appropriate supervision.

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
The first link re restrictions failed so couldn't confirm.
The second linking to road test locations are directions on how to get to the start and show nothing about the test route. Unless there are signs to notify those with learners permit that they may not proceed on a given street how would anyone know?

I can see they may not want a lot of traffic on test routes from those just out practicing but I have always driven to road tests with appropriate supervision.

As for the link, let me Google that for you...just in case you think I was making it up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nys+...client=gws-wiz

https://dmv.ny.gov/learner-permit-restrictions (first hit, with no colon) seems to work.

As for the road test areas, it's NY, the Empire State of Mostly Unneeded Regulations. I guess you're supposed to know or watch for the signs. Did you happen to drive over to your local road test area and look for them? (I didn't happen to be near any of the local ones today to check, myself, and I don't plan a special trip.)

Again, none of this NY-specific stuff has anything to do with the OP's problem. If you want to know, for sure what the scoop is call NYSDMV in Albany, and ask. I'm happy to be corrected, if wrong.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
As for the link, let me Google that for you...just in case you think I was making it up:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nys+...client=gws-wiz

https://dmv.ny.gov/learner-permit-restrictions (first hit, with no colon) seems to work.

As for the road test areas, it's NY, the Empire State of Mostly Unneeded Regulations. I guess you're supposed to know or watch for the signs. Did you happen to drive over to your local road test area and look for them? (I didn't happen to be near any of the local ones today to check, myself, and I don't plan a special trip.)

Again, none of this NY-specific stuff has anything to do with the OP's problem. If you want to know, for sure what the scoop is call NYSDMV in Albany, and ask. I'm happy to be corrected, if wrong.
I am not questioning you or the wording you found but rather the conflicting info NY DMV posts online... for example. Per. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...bUamisWaSBUXfT

"You cannot practice in a DMV road test area or on any restricted roads."
(Agrees with your finding but talks about practicing vs driving to the starting point!)

"If you drive to the road test site, you must also bring a supervising driver who is at least 21 and holds a license valid for the vehicle you will drive during the road

test"
(Seems to be in direct conflict with any claim that you can't drive to the road test?)

The site I took my R endorsement road test is 30 mi away so no I didn't drive by to check for signs.

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a