Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #1

Looking for an assist: CDL (or Non-CDL) class A license holder

Hi,

We live in Pennsylvania and need a non-commercial class A license for our ri, which is over 26,001 lb. I'm booked in for my test on September 24 at 12:30pm and need to find someone with a Class A license to accompany me to the test site.

Happy to pay someone, or make a donation to their favorite charity, for their time.

I've tried local fire department houses (Exton, PA, 19341)

Thanks in anticipation,

Best
Mark
enigma2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2021, 04:28 PM   #2

I'd be happy to help if I was in your area.
I suggested to iRV2 mod / admin that they add a way to volunteer to help licensing but they said there wasnt enough need?
Over on the sister TrawlerForum we added a Port Capt feature where members could volunteer to assist others in their area with local knowledge and rides for supplies, etc.
We have a couple hundred volunteers.
Too bad iRV2 fails to see any benefit!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:27 AM   #3

I see Exton is in SE PA, not too far from the DE line.

Too far for me, I'm afraid.

If all else fails, you can probably pay a CDL instructor from a driving school to go with you.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I suggested to iRV2 mod / admin that they add a way to volunteer to help licensing but they said there wasnt enough need?
Over on the sister TrawlerForum we added a Port Capt feature where members could volunteer to assist others in their area with local knowledge and rides for supplies, etc.
That is such a good idea! I've read a number of posts where finding a "buddy" for the license is one of the hardest parts of the whole process.

And thank you for the offer. Hope you are well and safe.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #5

Thanks. Going to start making calls tomorrow.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I see Exton is in SE PA, not too far from the DE line.

Too far for me, I'm afraid.

If all else fails, you can probably pay a CDL instructor from a driving school to go with you.

Does that mean you are closer to Delaware? I can always change my test to make it closer to you?
Old 09-06-2021, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma2me View Post
That is such a good idea! I've read a number of posts where finding a "buddy" for the license is one of the hardest parts of the whole process.

And thank you for the offer. Hope you are well and safe.
Maybe If more members suggested / reinforced the usefulness to iRV2 Mods / Admin they might reconsider.
Over on the boating forum we now have over 300 volunteers to assist boaters cruising in their area and seeking info or an assist. All voluntary but once folks sign up it is searchable by state / province and cities.
iRV2 is the same owner ( Social Knowledge) and I have to believe the forum software is similar and not that difficult to set up.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 09-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #8

Are you sure you need a licensed driver to get you there. In Texas I was told I did not need a driver to bring the RV to the test site that I could do it myself.

Since this was a fairly new requirement they were willing to cut me some slack. Most of us have been driving these rigs for years.

Good luck.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Does that mean you are closer to Delaware? I can always change my test to make it closer to you?
I'm closest to Matamoras, near the NE corner of PA. If you only need someone for the test itself, I can meet you somewhere not too far from there. I have a NY Class D license with an R endorsement.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #10

Thank you, but PA requires I be accompanied by a "Class A" license holder. but I do appreciate your willingness to help.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
Are you sure you need a licensed driver to get you there. In Texas I was told I did not need a driver to bring the RV to the test site that I could do it myself.

Since this was a fairly new requirement they were willing to cut me some slack. Most of us have been driving these rigs for years.

Good luck.
Thanks Doug. I am getting hard pressed to find someone. I will give them a call and see if that would work for me too. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the response.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you, but PA requires I be accompanied by a "Class A" license holder. but I do appreciate your willingness to help.
I can drive our rig (34K lbs) and likely yours legally with that endorsement, which could get you to the test in the passenger seat. That doesn't get you from home to where I'd be willing to meet, but it could get your from there to the test.

You might want to recheck and ask what the licensing requirements are for someone who is with you if that person is driving. In NY, I believe the requirement is that a properly licensed person must drive you to the test*, and a properly licensed person (which could be you, if you pass) must drive away from the test. I'm willing to believe that other states might differ, but it might be worth asking.

* In NY, a test candidate is not allowed to drive to the test site, because it would be on at least some of the pavement on which the test will be conducted. Test candidates aren't allowed to drive any part of a test route, so they must be driven to the test site.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #13

N2zon
"In NY, a test candidate is not allowed to drive to the test site, because it would be on at least some of the pavement on which the test will be conducted. Test candidates aren't allowed to drive any part of a test route, so they must be driven to the test site."

That doesn't fit with my experience. I drove to & from road test in NY with a properly licensed observer. No questions by the inspector other than she wanted to see the observers DL.
I dont believe NY DMV publishes road test routes so how would anyone know where they are?

From NY DMV requirements.

"To get an “R” endorsement: ... no written test is required. For the road test, a driver who is at least 21 years old, with a license valid for the vehicle you will drive during the test, must accompany you. (e.g., a driver license with an “R” endorsement or the correct Commercial Driver License). The road test will take approximately 15 minutes and will include turns, intersections and backing the vehicle to the curb. When you pass the road test, you must go to a motor vehicle office and pay the required fee to complete the license"

Must accompany you NOT must drive you to or from!

For a normal road test.?.
"You must bring a vehicle to drive during the road test...
If you drive to the road test site, you must also bring a supervising driver who is at least 21 and holds a license valid for the vehicle you will drive during the road test.Motorcycle applicants must bring a car or truck and a licensed driver to transport the license
examiner during the test."

Old 09-09-2021, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
N2zon
"In NY, a test candidate is not allowed to drive to the test site, because it would be on at least some of the pavement on which the test will be conducted. Test candidates aren't allowed to drive any part of a test route, so they must be driven to the test site."

That doesn't fit with my experience. I drove to & from road test in NY with a properly licensed observer. No questions by the inspector other than she wanted to see the observers DL.
I dont believe NY DMV publishes road test routes so how would anyone know where they are?

From NY DMV requirements.

"To get an “R” endorsement: ... no written test is required. For the road test, a driver who is at least 21 years old, with a license valid for the vehicle you will drive during the test, must accompany you. (e.g., a driver license with an “R” endorsement or the correct Commercial Driver License). The road test will take approximately 15 minutes and will include turns, intersections and backing the vehicle to the curb. When you pass the road test, you must go to a motor vehicle office and pay the required fee to complete the license"

Must accompany you NOT must drive you to or from!

For a normal road test.?.
"You must bring a vehicle to drive during the road test...
If you drive to the road test site, you must also bring a supervising driver who is at least 21 and holds a license valid for the vehicle you will drive during the road test.Motorcycle applicants must bring a car or truck and a licensed driver to transport the license
examiner during the test."

Conflicting and/or incomplete information from NYSDMV? Never!

From https://dmv.ny.gov/learner-permit-restrictions:

You may not drive with a learner permit

- <snip>
- in a DMV road test area

In some locations, it might be the case that one may drive to the test on a permit because the test starting point is not part of the road test area. For the very small number of driving tests I have taken (two!), that has not been the case. One was not drive to either of those starting points because they both fell inside a road test area.

In practice? No idea whether an examiner would call a cop to cite you or refuse to test you because you broke the rule. However, both the CDL drivers who accompanied me knew the rule. (No, I didn't need to take it twice. One test was canceled without notice on the first day they were canceled for COVID in our county.)

They used to mark at least some road test areas. I've seen the signs, though I'll admit I haven't seen one lately. The test areas are published, though, here: https://dmv.ny.gov/contact-us/road-test-sites-region

When I took my R endorsement test, the form on which the passed test was recorded became my temporary driver license, so I was able to drive home even though I could not drive to the test. Had I failed, the CDL driver (or a driver with an R endorsement) would have had to drive off the test site before we swapped seats so I could legally drive home on my permit.

I don't know the rules in PA with respect to arriving at, and departing, a road test starting point.

However, it's irrelevant to my suggestion. The state of registration does not matter if a driver is licensed to drive the rig. I think a NY Class D with an R endorsement holder would allow a driver to drive someone who had a test scheduled to and from that test, even though that driver's presence does not meet the requirement for the person being tested to be allowed to drive.

This might, or might not, help provide a workable solution for the OP.

Tags
class a