Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Northeast Region
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
MSL

RV Insurance

New to the RV world. Picking up our new/used rig this weekend. Any suggestions on insurance companies? Also, we're planning on buying an extended warranty policy, the dealers price seems very high. Good Sam is very similar. Any thoughts here?

Thank you in advance.

John
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSL View Post
New to the RV world. Picking up our new/used rig this weekend. Any suggestions on insurance companies? Also, we're planning on buying an extended warranty policy, the dealers price seems very high. Good Sam is very similar. Any thoughts here?

Thank you in advance.

John
I used Progresive from my insurance earlier this year and I am very happy. Got a Good Sams club extended warranty with 500.00 Ded for a reasonable price. There are others but you get what you pay for.
Good luck and seeya on the road
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Had Progressive on our first MOHO, no complaints but never made a claim. Currently have GEICO (provided a better rate when we purchased our current rig) with no issues, but again have never made any claims.

I'm not big on extended waranty's, but for what I have read pay attention to the fine print to ensure you are comparing apples to apples between companies. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #4

Over the years I've found that most problems with a coach more often involve items on/in the coach rather than engine & drive train issues.

After determining annual premium costs of some of these ESP's I decided to establish a contingency fund for any repairs to our coach that may arise.

I then paid into the contingency fund, (a savings account), the dollar amount I would otherwise pay in annual premiums for an ESP. So far it's worked pretty well in that we've experienced very few problems.

With an Extended Service Plan, say if after a couple of years paying the plan premiums, you need an engine or transmission replacement, then it's well worth the premium monies paid.

If however, you go for years without any major problem, then it's just money down the tube, but then, that's just the chance one takes.

Bottom line, is do whatever you feel is best for your situation.

Best of luck and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Farm and City Insurance in IA seems to have a good rep. We have their policy but never used it.

As far as a service contract........do a search on this forum. Basic is to buy an Exclusionary policy with seals/gaskets included, as well as a Consequential Damage option. The insurance co. and their re-insurance affiliate must be solvent. Go to Weiss Ratings for reliable ratings. The other ratings services are shills and not to be trusted. You might find 5-6 years with 50K to 70K miles for $3500.00 and up. Than again.............
Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #6

Hi John,
I can't say anything useful about the extended warranty. But I just got ins. on my MH and the best deal I could find was with Farmer's who uses Foremost for their MH policies.
Gary
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Are you full time? If so you'll need a full time RV policy that includes personal liability coverage. If you own or rent your home and have either homeowners or renters coverage your liability coverage will come off one of those. When I was shopping this past spring I did find GEICO to have the lowest premium, but they did not offer replacement cost coverage.

As for the extended warranty, it is just another insurance policy. If your budget is tight you might appreciate the peace of mind an extended warranty would provide you, but odds are you'll never get your money back. Don't get me wrong, there are many members here that can tell you of a major breakdown that was covered and they were thrilled to have it (and many more that can tell you of the plethora of exclusions that kept them from collecting anything), but just playing the odds, you'll be better off just setting that money aside for future maintenance or repairs.

Good luck!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
We fulltime and use Hartford through AARP - Have had a couple of claims and not a problem!! They have been cheerful - helpful and paid the claims faster than we thought possible. We have several riders to the policy so that liability, etc are covered as well (as in homeowners ins).
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafter View Post
Hi John,
I can't say anything useful about the extended warranty. But I just got ins. on my MH and the best deal I could find was with Farmer's who uses Foremost for their MH policies.
Gary

Hi Drafter, We also have Foremost, had it since we began RV'ing back in 1995.

They've been outstanding with their no-hassle claim service, and to date our premiums have never increased.

Can't say enough about them.

Good luck and safe travels,

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
We too live in in Paridise. .CAPE COD...while I agree with others less than enthusiastic comments on extended warranty plans, suggest you speak with david major at Majors Rv Rt 28 just over Bourne bridge. Get his opinion of your coach.

I insure with liberty mutual...just a regular auto policy, only kind available in. MA I could find here. go figure!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi John,

We frequent another website which is written by full-time RVers Howard and Linda Payne. The link RV Extended Warranties - Pros, Cons, & Helpful Tips takes you to their rather lengthy write-up on extended warranties. At the bottom of the page there are a few links to either ask questions or get free quotes. They are very nice, honest people whom we have met a couple times.

We personally did not have an extended warranty on our RV, and fortunately did not need one. We switched to Progressive for all our vehicles' insurance two years ago since they are significantly cheaper than the company we had been using.

Hope this helps!
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Sent you a PM
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #13

Progressive was hands down the best priced annual coverage I received when I purchased my used RV about 3 months ago. Their annual rate was less than what some wanted for just 6 months.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
MSL

Thank you all. We did go with Progressive, but will continue to research others. Thanks again for ALL the help.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance