Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > Southeast Region > Florida Cooters
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I've retired my previous Coleman Grill with a new model Coleman grill.

The old grill lead a tough life. It was the Coleman Road Trip LXE.

The LXE, the first picture below, had plastic side trays that pulled out from under the grill, and it had some other plastic parts such as the legs of the grill.

The first "incident" with this grill occurred the very first time I attempted to use it in 2005. To raise the grill you step on a portion of the legs and pull on the handle. I stepped on the leg and pulled up, it didn't budge. So, just like any red blooded American, I applied more force and gave it a pretty good pull- and immediately snapped off one of the plastic legs. I was stepping on the wrong portion of the grill legs. I made temporary repairs with some wood and duct tape that I had on board. I called Coleman and was shipped the replacement parts.

The next incident with this grill happened at a Boomer event in May of 2006. We were cooking steaks for the Boomers when it was discovered that the plastic trays that are stored under the grill had not been pulled out to the sides. The directions for the grill warn that a fire could occure if you do not pull the side trays out from under the grill when grilling. Coleman was right, the plastic melted, ignited, and dropped in flames into the grass starting another fire. I distinctly remember the firefighters present at the event laughing... I called Coleman and was shipped the replacement parts.

The third incident with this grill occured after the wife and I were sipping a cocktail after grilling steaks. I suddenly remembered that I had left the grill running to burn off the grease on the grilling surface. I went to the grill and lifted up on the plastic handle which then broke off from the grill lid. It had got so hot the plastic gave way. Now I was stuck using my grilling tongs to open and close the hot grill lid when using the grill. I was afraid to call Coleman...

I decided it was time to replace the grill but I did not want to get the same model grill since it would probably suffer the same fate as the first grill.

Then I found the Coleman Road Trip Pro grill. It seems to be a better concept and is constructed better than the LXE.

The side trays are stored over the grilling surface and are flipped out to the side for grilling. I should have no problem remembering to get them out of the way since I always open the grill lid for igniting the grill. The side trays are also made of much thicker and stronger plastic. So is the handle which is bolted to the lid. Additionally, the legs of the grill are all metal, which should keep me from snapping them off.

The hood of the grill is taller than the previous grill which will allow me to grill much taller items. The lid on the LXE was only high enough to grill flat items like burgers and steaks.

Lastly, the grill has inverted V shaped covers over the burners which keep grease from dripping straight into the flames. This greatly reduces flare ups.

One drawback to this grill is the weight. It is significantly heavier than the previous grill.

I've only used it once so far and was pleased with the results.

Plus I did not damage it on the first outing!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I've retired my previous Coleman Grill with a new model Coleman grill.

The old grill lead a tough life. It was the Coleman Road Trip LXE.

The LXE, the first picture below, had plastic side trays that pulled out from under the grill, and it had some other plastic parts such as the legs of the grill.

The first "incident" with this grill occurred the very first time I attempted to use it in 2005. To raise the grill you step on a portion of the legs and pull on the handle. I stepped on the leg and pulled up, it didn't budge. So, just like any red blooded American, I applied more force and gave it a pretty good pull- and immediately snapped off one of the plastic legs. I was stepping on the wrong portion of the grill legs. I made temporary repairs with some wood and duct tape that I had on board. I called Coleman and was shipped the replacement parts.

The next incident with this grill happened at a Boomer event in May of 2006. We were cooking steaks for the Boomers when it was discovered that the plastic trays that are stored under the grill had not been pulled out to the sides. The directions for the grill warn that a fire could occure if you do not pull the side trays out from under the grill when grilling. Coleman was right, the plastic melted, ignited, and dropped in flames into the grass starting another fire. I distinctly remember the firefighters present at the event laughing... I called Coleman and was shipped the replacement parts.

The third incident with this grill occured after the wife and I were sipping a cocktail after grilling steaks. I suddenly remembered that I had left the grill running to burn off the grease on the grilling surface. I went to the grill and lifted up on the plastic handle which then broke off from the grill lid. It had got so hot the plastic gave way. Now I was stuck using my grilling tongs to open and close the hot grill lid when using the grill. I was afraid to call Coleman...

I decided it was time to replace the grill but I did not want to get the same model grill since it would probably suffer the same fate as the first grill.

Then I found the Coleman Road Trip Pro grill. It seems to be a better concept and is constructed better than the LXE.

The side trays are stored over the grilling surface and are flipped out to the side for grilling. I should have no problem remembering to get them out of the way since I always open the grill lid for igniting the grill. The side trays are also made of much thicker and stronger plastic. So is the handle which is bolted to the lid. Additionally, the legs of the grill are all metal, which should keep me from snapping them off.

The hood of the grill is taller than the previous grill which will allow me to grill much taller items. The lid on the LXE was only high enough to grill flat items like burgers and steaks.

Lastly, the grill has inverted V shaped covers over the burners which keep grease from dripping straight into the flames. This greatly reduces flare ups.

One drawback to this grill is the weight. It is significantly heavier than the previous grill.

I've only used it once so far and was pleased with the results.

Plus I did not damage it on the first outing!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Terry,
I'm surprised Coleman didn't send you a coupon for a free Weber grille just to get rid of you
Old 06-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #4

Having known your previous grill and the great food produced on it our hearts are filled with sadness at your loss. However on the other side are stomachs are ready to experience the new grill. Looking forward to our next rally.

2004 Infinity 36A
Kissimmee Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #5

Coastal Campers
I have the "LXE "- never gave it any thought of such problems that might arise from such a innocent grill- I am afraid to use it- might burn my HAT
Can't wait to see the new model-

Jon
Jon and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote