Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Advice to a new Texan

I've got a question about driving on the Interstate system in Texas.

Does the vehicle in the right traffic lane need to yield to a vehicle entering the interstate?

Generally if there is no vehicle in the left (or center) lane I will pull over; especially for a truck. But there have been plenty of times when there was traffic to my left so I couldn't pull over. A vehicle entering turned their left blinker on and proceeded to enter the highway as if I wasn't even there. Didn't even turn to look to see if there was a car there. I figured it was just a rude, inconsiderate person (probably a transplanted northerner ) but then yesterday I was entering the highway with my left blinker on. I saw a car in the right lane so I slowed to let them pass. I was almost at a stop as was the vehicle in the traffic lane so I went ahead a sped up and entered the interstate. That is when I thought that maybe Texas law states that the vehicles on an interstate must yield to entering traffic.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #2

You'll find that most real Texans are courteous drivers and will be considerate for others on the road. Then there's a lot who are real A-holes just like everywhere else.
I know of no law that requires you to move over, but common courtesy clearly dictates it. I always move over and if I can't, try to slow down or speed up to accommodate the person trying to enter the freeway.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe the traffic entering the road from the ramp is supposed to match his speed and merge when it is safe...not bull his way in. But this is not a problem in just Texas. It is all over the country.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
But this is not a problem in just Texas. It is all over the country.

Ken
Absolutely. I have encountered much worse back east. Just trying to figure out how to fit in.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
On coming traffic is suppose to accelerate and MERGE in with oncoming traffic.
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Proper way to merge is to accelerate down the on ramp to highway speed, look at traffic and adjust the speed to slip into an open space between vehicles. I like to accelerate to a speed slightly higher than posted in order to have a bit more leeway.

Through traffic has the right of way unless signs specifically say otherwise. Through traffic is supposed to maintain a constant speed and let the merging traffic slip in. Slowing down will create a slinky effect if there is a lot of traffic.

Worst it the person who understands only part of the merging concept and moves over into the traffic flow at 10 or 15 miles under the speed limit. If traffic is sufficiently heavy the resulting slinky effect can be bad enough to bring following traffic to a complete stop.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:24 AM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
On coming traffic is suppose to accelerate and MERGE in with oncoming traffic.
I will move to the left lane if possible to allow the less knowledgeable drivers to enter the roadway. If that is not possible, I maintain my speed and the other driver usually ends up having to stop on the ramp or shoulder.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
When someone merges effortlessly from a ramp it goes unnoticed and traffic moves as it should. When a driver does not accelerate to the speed of traffic on the highway, there is a consequence to traffic and everyone ends up slowing. Multiply that by 100's and you have one cause of rush hour traffic. Some folks never get it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Legality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I believe the traffic entering the road from the ramp is supposed to match his speed and merge when it is safe...not bull his way in. But this is not a problem in just Texas. It is all over the country.

Ken
As an ol' taxi driver, I learned early the idea of lane ownership.

You bought and paid for the lane, anyone merging has to yield.

That said, a Houston driver did the exact same thing, I held my "owned" position and laid on the horn, she banged against me, and the whole event got the legal test it deserved albeit at considerable inconvenience. Her insurance paid for everything, and the cop gave her a lecture but not a ticket since my dash cam didn't record the event.

'Problem is, if you veer into the left lane and get hit, the driver who caused the mess escapes unscathed and you are cited for his sin, eg cutting off another driver.

In Texas, where one out of every 500 drivers is out to prove he/she can bully anyone, a small percentage of drivers will make sport out of being able to discern a half-inch of clearance; they delight in pushing people into other lanes but will stop short of collision. The key is for you to ignore them and maintain your lane alignment precisely.

Aside from this one crazy lady who shoved her $60K pristine BMW into the side of my dented Tundra, 99.99% of drivers will -- given the choice of following the law or colliding with rig whose air horn is blaring -- obey the law and yield.

It is all in Section 4 of the Texas Driver License Handbook.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Most people dont seem to understand the need to speed up to merge. One solution could be to place a sign on the acceleration lane saying speed up to the speed limit.

Unfortunately in most cases there is no sign showing the highway speed at the beginning of the acceleraton lane. Folks will be coming out of a 30 mph speed zone and the next speed sign will be on the highway. We have been taught the speed limit is in force until you reach the higher speed limit sign. And that is the law. Try accelerating out of a school zone and see what happens!

Tags
advice