Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #1

Greetings fellow Texas RVers!

So I'm fairly new to the RV world. Done a decent amount of tent camping in my life but just this year picked up a new(to me) 2004 35' toy hauler. I'm looking for cool places in and around this great state to pack up my motorcycles and go exploring! I live in west Texas so I'd like to start out close first to break her in and get the learning curve down and would also like places with full hookups to begin with. I have a 5kw genny and could boondock it pretty easily I think but to be honest I'd like to do some more learning before I throw myself into that! Any recommendations or tips would be much appreciated!
jknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're in west texas, you have a few spots pretty nearby. And it would depend on if you are north west texas or south west texas haha..

You could......

go to big bend?

go to Albuquerque NM, great town! Plan on a couple of days there, and be sure to take the tram to sandia peak.

Drive Route 66?
Not far to quartzite Arizona and see some awesome country!
You could Cruise Austin.
Fredericksburg? Surely!! Awesome motorcycle town if you ask me.
Llano State Park?
Long back roads near Odessa?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:55 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cross into mexico and get a years supply of any meds for an actually FAIR price
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Kingman arizona... also a great town, careful, you might never leave
Old 02-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would ask that question of TxDot while requesting a copy of "Texas State Travel Guide"
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:29 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Jknox

I was born and raised in West Texas (Odessa)...LOL...the most desolate part of Texas where it's MILES between cities! It is beautiful in some areas...but you have to look for those spots!!!

One of the most beautiful places in West Texas (to me) is Ft. Davis. They have a wonderful State Park there that has 50amp full hook ups and the rates are great too! The town is very small, but does have an actual fort to tour that is very interesting. Just a few miles up the road from the state park is the McDonald Observatory and talk about a great motorcycle ride up the side of the mountain (over a mile high) - the views along the ride up are gorgeous!

There is a 72 mile loop from the State Park, up to the observatory and on around towards the Valentine Road....beautiful scenery and lots of curvy roads for bikers!!!!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Boomer View Post
Jknox

I was born and raised in West Texas (Odessa)...LOL...the most desolate part of Texas where it's MILES between cities! It is beautiful in some areas...but you have to look for those spots!!!

One of the most beautiful places in West Texas (to me) is Ft. Davis. They have a wonderful State Park there that has 50amp full hook ups and the rates are great too! The town is very small, but does have an actual fort to tour that is very interesting. Just a few miles up the road from the state park is the McDonald Observatory and talk about a great motorcycle ride up the side of the mountain (over a mile high) - the views along the ride up are gorgeous!

There is a 72 mile loop from the State Park, up to the observatory and on around towards the Valentine Road....beautiful scenery and lots of curvy roads for bikers!!!!

Sandy

Small World. My dad was born in Blanco County in '31. His mother and father lived in San Angelo all of my life that I can remember. And one of my grandmothers brothers is still running a ranch just in Odessa at 96! She had 6 brothers and sisters, all from San Angelo / Midland / Odessa area. I spent a lot of my time as a child and teen out that way... they've all passed on now, but you and I are still here, and I grew up in Cypress.... just inside Lakewood Forest off of Grant Road, and still today only live down Jones Road a ways.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #8

I actually live in Lubbock but know the Midland-Odessa area well, have been there many times. Madam Boomer do you happen to know the name of that RV park? Would certainly be a good place to start!
jknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Davis Mountain SP

For reservations try:
Home
Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
JKnox

Jimmy inserted the link to the Davis Mountains State Park. It's just like "home" to us as we try to get out there at least every 2 or 3 years!

Sandy
Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Small World. My dad was born in Blanco County in '31. His mother and father lived in San Angelo all of my life that I can remember. And one of my grandmothers brothers is still running a ranch just in Odessa at 96! She had 6 brothers and sisters, all from San Angelo / Midland / Odessa area. I spent a lot of my time as a child and teen out that way... they've all passed on now, but you and I are still here, and I grew up in Cypress.... just inside Lakewood Forest off of Grant Road, and still today only live down Jones Road a ways.
Barbara got in touch with me other day and told me there was a new couple in our area! Glad to meet you and hope to meet you in person soon!

I live in Lakewood Forest too - Louetta and Grant Road area! Been here for 17 years or so. I served as President of the Civic Association board for about 10 years..retired from that around 2008 or 09. We'll have to get together for supper one night soon at our favorite Mexican place up on Louetta. It's called Juanita's....nice little place in a strip center there, but they have great margaritas!!!!!

Sandy
Old 02-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

Long back roads near Odessa?

Cross into mexico and get a years supply of any meds for an actually FAIR price.
Long back roads does this refer the long never road in Odessalation or some thing I missed, I was raised there. Moved as soon as I could to go see what trees are, I like them.. Still got family out there.
Mexico meds are they safe and what all do you need to bring them back across?

Hope you don't mind me making your quote smaller.

JKnox
Welcome to the forum your going to love rving and the great forum.
Fort Davis is great you'll love it.
How about Palo Duro Canyon, can't wait till go there myself.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 AM   #13

Howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #14

Congrats on your Toy Hauler. Monahans State Park is just down the street west of you. Good place to get familiar with new Toy Hauler. Just not sure about places to ride cycles.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas