Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:40 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Huntsville TX to Lakin Ks. 35' class A Gasser 2015 Bounder

Hello all !!

In process of closing on a new to me gas camper, 35' Fleetwood, 2015 in HUNTSVILLE, TEXAS.

I need to try to get someone to drive the motorhome to my location or nearby SW Kansas, Lakin, KS.

Of course payment must accompany such an effort. There are 2 flights a day from GCK Garden City, KS to Dallas Ft Worth for the return, actually its cheaper to fly in to Houston George Bush than it is to Dallas some days. Medical issues don't let me go that far without oxygen and mobility equipment that I can't fly or drive with without a motorhome.....

Any ideas?

Thanks !!

Kent
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2022, 08:56 AM   #2

We might consider it although it depends on how soon you want the ferry to happen. This week is booked for us (and too bad, we’re headed to Snook Wed-Sun, south of Bryan/College Station). Problem is, the wife doesn’t drive MoHo’s, and no way to hook up to tow back.

My only concern is - how clean is the coach? And I’m not talking about mopped floors and clean toilets. I’m talking about white (or maybe other color) powdery substances or maybe dried green leaves. I wouldn’t want to get out on the road with the coach only to get pulled over and the dogs are brought out to sniff around.
It’s pretty hard to do a full inspection of a coach to find all hiding places for contraband. And I hate to be paranoid by such a thing, but . . . . . .

So, with reassurance of the coach - if it can wait until next week we might be candidates for ferrying the coach.
I guess next you’ll need to figure out insuring whoever is going to do it.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You might check with a local RV dealer to see if they have a list of any people that can ferry your RV to you. You need to make sure that the person is licensed, insured and bonded.

When we lived off Hwy 69 in Oklahoma, the cops watched for a reason to tag an RV. This was a major drug route from south Texas. You want to make sure that the coach has not been used for drug trafficking and is clean.

We had a purchasing agent that got pulled over for speeding in North Carolina with a Hertz rental car. The officer had a K-9 with him that detected drugs in the vehicle, and he was hauled off to jail, car was impounded, and Hertz contacted. Hertz brought him another car and he lost part of the day while the car and his luggage were searched.

You must be careful these days,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Consider hiring a driver from these sites:

https://www.rvdrivers.net/services.html
http://privatemotorhomeusa.com/rv_driver.htm
Old 03-28-2022, 09:48 AM   #5

Kent if work wasnt so busy Id do it Ill ask around
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #6
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Kent another option might be to find someone here in TX with a toad (providing that the MH has a hitch) and have them drive rather than fly.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #7

Kent have you inspected and driven the MH yourself? Or had it inspected/driven by a third party?

I see potential for so much to go wrong here for someone whos not in the transport business trying to help out a fellow RVer . Though I wish I was closer to Huntsville and was able to help in some way.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:15 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks all for the great response!! I had the motorhome inspected a few weeks ago and have been looking at its history and visiting with the current owner. She is newly widowed, she and her husband bought it May of 2021 and he passed in September of 2021. She has had it listed for sale since November. The bank insisted on lots of extra things like current registration from the current lienholder, pictures of the tags, copy of the title, driver's license, proof of residency, etc. I was amazed at how much fraud goes on in the RV sales as I have only bought from dealers before and didn't know about all the due diligence when buying from a private party. I think my dear friend from DFW will wind up and drive it up and fly back to Dallas. Yes, ideally it would be so much better if she could pull her vehicle and drive it at least as far as the panhandle or even Wichita, but if wishes were fishes as my Mother always said. LOL Thanks again and bless you all!!

Tags
bounder, class a, gas