Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #43
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Charlie,
Another route to consider is I35 to Waco, US 77 to Cameron, TX 36 to Caldwell ( you will be on US 79 headed E in Milano for about 2 miles before it rejoins 36 S to Caldwell) stay on 36 and loop around Brenham to Bellville to Sealy to Rosenberg. In Rosenberg pick up 59 E to the S Beltway then stay right on the beltway E to Pearland and the RV Park. I have traveled the route from Caldwell to Pearland and it is not bad. Of course I get to Caldwell from Killeen on a different route than 77.

I have the TXTag and it works with the EZTag system.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
A lot of the comfort of driving I-45 through Houston has to do with how comfortable you are with understanding exactly which lane to be in at any given time. Around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, I understand that completely but don't drive in Houston often enough to gain that same level of comfort.

And I'll take Houston or Dallas over San Diego any time.
Charlie, on my Garmin GPS, it will put up a image of the intersection as you approach and show you which lane to be in as you approach...barring recent construction issues.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #45

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Charlie, on my Garmin GPS, it will put up a image of the intersection as you approach and show you which lane to be in as you approach...barring recent construction issues.

Ken
Yep, that's most of my problem - construction issues. It seems like every time that I come through there, something has changed and there is a construction or other obstacle the makes and normal and correct route less than clear. We use a GPS, too, but it almost takes two people, one to drive and avoid suicidal drivers and the other to watch the GPS and where it is directing us. Sometimes I find even that isn't enough.

Thanks for the alternative route, Don. I'm going to plot that on Street Atlas today.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #46

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
According to google maps from Waco to the S Beltway using Hwy 6 is 195 miles and using the route I gave you it is 203 miles. It is a nice scenic drive but like all back roads you have to deal with all the small towns.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
The only easy way to get to Pearland is to be born there and never leave as to get there from anywhere else, you have to go someplace else first

That being said, I like Don's route to go from Sealy to Waco. Not a bad drive - just have to go through a few small towns.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #48

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I prefer more scenic routes and don't mind small towns. Heck, we've driven to Colorado a few times and there is pretty much no way to get there from here without a few small towns in West Texas.

The key for me is whether the roads are wide enough. If I have to suck my breath in every time I pass a big rig going the other way, I don't consider it to be a fun drive. Some, like 377 just North of Burnett are so heavily crowned that it is a struggle to keep the vehicle on the road. The only other thing is that there are passing zones or opportunities to let impatient drivers get around. Some people just will not pass something that is 55 feet long but they will park on your back bumper, just waiting to smash into you if you take your foot off the accelerator.

I'm still struggling with the stud wall repair in the bathroom remodel today and have a meeting this evening. Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll have run a couple of the suggested routes on Street Atlas.

Thanks again for all the input. I do appreciate it.

Charlie
Old 06-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
TX 36 and US 77 are both pretty wide and in good shape. Of course a lot of TX 6 is 4 lane but it does drop you off on The W Beltway NW of Houston.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #50

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just completed my Street Atlas plotting exercise.

1. I-45 - straight through downtown - 5:03, 280 miles
2. I-35, 6 6:59, 314 miles
3. I-35, 77, 36, 7:50 329 miles.

Of course option 1 assumes that I would drive the speed limit on I-45 and I won't. Still, it was an interesting comparison.

I have the 3 routes plotted so that I can zoom in and look at them in detail. The jury is still out as to which one but I'm leaning toward one of the more scenic drives.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only construction on I 45 between Houston and Corsicana is between Willis and Conroe for about 4 miles.

Maybe between your GPS and these instructions you'll save yourself several hours.
At the Rayford/Sawdust exit in The Woodlands move to the third lane from the left until you pass the Hardy Toll Road exit then you can get in any lane you like. I prefer the second from the outside so I don't have to deal with cars exiting and entering the highway. Stay in this preferred lane until you get to the Rankin Rd exit then move back to the third lane from the left until you pass the exit for the toll road then move back to your preferred lane until you get to the Crosstimbers exit and move to the second lane from the left until you pass the Loop 610 exit. I stay in this lane until I pass the I 10 exit then move to the far right lane. Stay in this lane and exit 288 South. When you exit merge to the left; the right lanes go to 59 and the left to 288.

We prefer the back roads also but not when we need to be someplace. We drove from Conroe to Vernon yesterday on I45 and 287. According to my GPS, we drove 385.9 miles, moving average speed 59.4, overall average speed 45.8, max speed 67.3 (hmmm, Judy driving), moving time 6:29.

Got to love the construction and roughness of 287 and especially the drive through Fort Worth.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #52

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
The only construction on I 45 between Houston and Corsicana is between Willis and Conroe for about 4 miles.

Maybe between your GPS and these instructions you'll save yourself several hours.
At the Rayford/Sawdust exit in The Woodlands move to the third lane from the left until you pass the Hardy Toll Road exit then you can get in any lane you like. I prefer the second from the outside so I don't have to deal with cars exiting and entering the highway. Stay in this preferred lane until you get to the Rankin Rd exit then move back to the third lane from the left until you pass the exit for the toll road then move back to your preferred lane until you get to the Crosstimbers exit and move to the second lane from the left until you pass the Loop 610 exit. I stay in this lane until I pass the I 10 exit then move to the far right lane. Stay in this lane and exit 288 South. When you exit merge to the left; the right lanes go to 59 and the left to 288.

We prefer the back roads also but not when we need to be someplace. We drove from Conroe to Vernon yesterday on I45 and 287. According to my GPS, we drove 385.9 miles, moving average speed 59.4, overall average speed 45.8, max speed 67.3 (hmmm, Judy driving), moving time 6:29.

Got to love the construction and roughness of 287 and especially the drive through Fort Worth.

Good luck.
Thanks for the detailed information, Jim. That is probably the best lane by lane description that I've ever seen.

I think that the Corsicana area on I-45 is going to be under construction when my great-grandkids are driving.

This is the first trip in the MH where we really don't have to be some place. We are going in a day early (Thursday) for the rally so there is nothing pressing us to be there except to be off the roads before rush hour. 6 hours (probably a realistic estimate) from our place would put us at the CG around 3pm.

If you think that 287 is bad, you should try 114 on the north side of DFW airport. They now heavily enforce a 50mph speed limit because people where smashing up their cars at 5 times the normal rate through that construction. We cannot get to I-45 without having to negotiate really narrow bridges and miles of orange cones. The project is supposed to be ahead of schedule but it will be a couple of more years before it is complete. I think that they've taken up the entire output of the Texas concrete factories to get as far as they have.

Thanks again for the detailed help.

Charlie
Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #53

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
No matter how you decide to get there Charlie & Judy - Just get there safely!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #54

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allendp View Post
No matter how you decide to get there Charlie & Judy - Just get there safely!
You betcha. We've been in much worse situations than this.

When we had the anti-sway bars put on our RV in Gaffney, SC, it was November. About 1.5 hours on I-85 from Gaffney is Atlanta where about the time that we arrived, it started to rain. So here we are driving a vehicle that rides and handles much different, on the Atlanta bypass in the rain. If we can survive that, even downtown Houston is a piece of cake.

In the past, there were would have been no discussion like this. We barely had time to get to some of the rallies and always took the shortest/fastest route. Now, we have time to smell the roses a little and if I can avoid traffic hassles in the process, all the better. A little longer trip that gives us a chance to see more of Texas can be a good thing. I just don't want to jump from the frying pan to the fire, so to speak.

Don, Judy wants to know if you still have the margarita machine. She has been on prescription drugs for several months and has not been able to drink. She is very much looking at this rally as a celebration to the end of all that as well as an opportunity to take a break from all the situations that we've been through in the last 6 months. She is definitely ready to party.

Charlie
Old 06-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #55

Texas Boomers Club
Unfortunately we can't make it as Larry has to work... Sorry guys! Have fun!!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #56

Texas Boomers Club
Mike and Amber,

I just wanted to give you a heads up, I had a very bad fall and lost consciousness. I suffered a major concussion with a bruised brain and strained several neck muscles. As of today I still want to attend the rally; however, I may have to cancel if I am not able to drive the motor home safely. What date do you need to know for sure if I will attend so that there is not any problems for you? Sorry in advance just in case, and I HOPE to see all of you soon.

Leon and Onyx
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote