Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #1

Texas Registration and Class B license

New to the RV world as we are purchasing a 2 year old 35 foot Thor unit that weighs over the 26001 lb limit for Class C Drivers License in Texas.
I have talked with DPS and found out what I need to do to get my Class B license with air brakes. My residence is in Texas (I have a home in San Antonio) but I work out of state (Fl currently) and that is were the RV will be at.
Is there someone that does the Driving Test like they do for Motorcycles (training course and test) in lieu of doing the test at DPS?
Was told it can be 3 week to 3 month wait on the driving test after taking the written test. If you get the permit and it takes longer than 3 months you lose your fees and have to start over again. Figuring I might have to take two trips to Texas to get my license.

Registration inspection?
We are buying from a out of state dealer (FL) and looking at the registration web site the unit will need inspection prior to getting the tags from Texas. I will be driving into East Texas on I10 and would like to find a place close to the Border to do the Inspection.
Anyone know where a good place to get the inspection in east Texas just of I10 or close to?
Also open on Saturdays as that will be the only day I will be able to head there right now.
Thanks
John
Jrgmanict is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Most independent tire shops do inspections. There is a grace period to get inspected once you get into Texas. Check TxDOT website. I took my tests at Marble Falls. Didn't have to wait long after passing the written test. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

If you have dealer tags, you'll have time to get to San Antonio. Kerrville also does the driving test without long wait time.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

Hello,

I think the self inspection for renewal is three days from reentry of the county you live in so I would "assume" you have at least three days.

For the driving test, I called the number and made an appointment for a date and time I wanted and it worked fine. You can take the written test anytime before on a walk in. Me, I would take the written test a couple of days before the driving test appointment so if the test is failed you have sometime to study the guide and retake the written test before the driving test appointment. And I would study the booklet. I recall one question about what year farm tractors began to be required to have lights when driving on roads.

My2c.
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for you post.
The issue is that the RV will be tagged in Texas but I will be living in it where ever I'm working at. So I will be getting the inspection done to meet the 30 day initial inspection for the Registration. Wife will be taking the paperwork into the tag office in San Antonio and then mail me the tags for the RV.
So I need a inspection place near the border that would do a RV as I'm driving the RV from Florida and then back over the weekend to return to work.
Thanks again
John
Old 11-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgmanict View Post
Thanks everyone for you post.
The issue is that the RV will be tagged in Texas but I will be living in it where ever I'm working at. So I will be getting the inspection done to meet the 30 day initial inspection for the Registration. Wife will be taking the paperwork into the tag office in San Antonio and then mail me the tags for the RV.
So I need a inspection place near the border that would do a RV as I'm driving the RV from Florida and then back over the weekend to return to work.
Thanks again
John
We were on a long trip when our registration became due. There is a form on TxDOT website that you can file-self inspection-I believe. You then have 3 days after you enter Texas to get inspected. I think you can avoid making the round trip from Florida. Check further before making that long (expensive) trip. At least that worked for our renewal.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the response.
Drove the RV to Texas this last weekend to get her inspected.
Had no issues with the inspection and drove back to Mississippi to spend the evening with my wife on our anniversary.
So with the paperwork coming to the house in San Antonio we should be able to get it registered and tagged.
Next adventure is to get the Class B license for myself and possibly the wife.
Thanks again for all the help.
John
Old 04-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrgmanict View Post
Thanks everyone for the response.
Drove the RV to Texas this last weekend to get her inspected.
Had no issues with the inspection and drove back to Mississippi to spend the evening with my wife on our anniversary.
So with the paperwork coming to the house in San Antonio we should be able to get it registered and tagged.
Next adventure is to get the Class B license for myself and possibly the wife.
Thanks again for all the help.
John
Just saw this post and for anyone who has to take a Class B license, it does involve a written test. Same book as the CDL driver test but only selected portions are used for the test. You can then jump in your vehicle and test out at the Hondo test facility (Medina County) on a walk in basis. Remember to have your insurance and registration up to date. The test itself isn't hard and the main thing is to stop at railway tracks and look both ways and stare into your rear view mirror the whole test. They seem to like that. I can't remember how the test differs from a normal car test but I think you do have to back up and DO STARE INTO YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR. The test person actually told me to check my mirror constantly and that seemed real important to her. On the written test, putting out markers / flares in a break down situation and their location as well as lights on a vehicle (marker lights) seemed to be the high point. If you have a motorcycle endorsement your license will say BM; kind of fitting.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas