Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
2007 Fleetwood Highlander Avalon

This week my wife and I were looking at trailers and one was a 2007 Fleetwood Highlander (high wall) Avalon (16' box). I would like to hear from anyone who owns (or formerly owned) any Fleetwood high wall pop up. This one is on our list as a possible purchase.

I really like the Avalon. Although it is a very large pop up weighing some 3710# dry, it boasts a lot of living space with a lot of seating that is not otherwise used as beds. My wife has to have a lot of living space available for rainy days.

We are not newbies to RVing or camping. In fact, we have previously owned two other popups, a TT and a MH. Our present rig is a 27' TT, which surprisingly, has less living space than the FFT Avalon.

Some items that I'm interested in learning more about include.....

....the brochure says that FFT does not build the frame of the Avalon. Then who does?

...the brochure says that the body framing consists of an aluminum rail at the top with steel bulkheads at all corners and doorways, galvanized steel exterior side body panels. This seems superior to the competition. Though, has anyone experienced welds or rivets breaking?

...the brochure says that the roof has one-piece Filon exterior, with full-length aluminum side reinforcements...no exposed caulking. This all sounds great to me! What do the owners have to say about this construction? Any problems?

...the brochure says that "we do not compromise the integrity of our roofs by adding a roof vent--potentially a source of leaks during off-season storage. I believe that this Avalon we looked at has an A/C. What about roof-mounted air conditioners? Any leak problems with your A/C?

Well thank you in advance for your time to read and respond.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
One thing to check. When the pop-up is closed up can you get at the frig to load it up? or un-load it? Just something to think about. Would make it easier to load it at home instead of loading up coolers. I know you carry that extra frig., but packing your meats and such in the main frig. at home just makes it easier.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote