Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #1

2009 Ford Ranger - Automatic - RWD - 4 Banger

Howdy all!

I have a 2009 Ford Ranger - Regular Cabin, 6 Ft Bed, Automatic 4.10 Gear Ratio, Rear Wheel Drive, 2.3L 4 Cylinder ...

Maximum GCWR : 5500 Lb
GVWR : 4300 Lb
Front GAWR : 2100 Lb
Rear GAWR : 2350 Lb

Max Tongue Load : 200 Lb
Max Gross Trailer Wt : 2000 Lb

As I understand it, these specs are highest weight the truck is engineered to safely handle -- however, my hunch is : realistic limit for genuine on-the-road use would be substantially less for anything that wouldn't burn out the transmission rather quickly ...

Any recommendations for trailers (like a teardrop or something) this truck could realistically handle?
HBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #2

2009 Ford Ranger - Automatic - RWD - 4 Banger

With only a 2,000 lb tow rating and 200 lb hitch load, you are really limited. Look at:
Popups with 8-ft box length
Scamp 13-ft fiberglass “egg” trailer
NuCamp T@G teardrop
Forest River No Boundries 10-ft camp trailer

Another option is a camp trailer. There are more and more of these every day and quite a variety and price ranges. They are generally a small/tiny trailer with (sometimes) a foldout tent packed inside. You don’t walk in it or sleep in it; it is just for all your camping gear. You sleep in the tent. Here are some:
Outback Innovationz
Turtleback Trailers
Or any of another “expedition” trailers

Finally, you could get a camper cap (6-ft bed is good size), fill it with your stuff, and tent camp. Or, a slide-in, low profile truck camper.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:19 AM   #3

I towed a chalet "A" frame folding camper with a tow vehicle with similar specs. My engine and transmission were much bigger. We traveled thousands of miles with it. We had a great time.

The tow vehicle was a Toyota Camry. We had to repeatedly replace the soft drive tires. With your smaller engine and transmission, you should probably not try to drive 70 mph for long periods. Stick with a 60 mph speed limit.

Please note, the towing limits include only the driver. Adding a passenger, luggage, and equipment reduce the towing capacity. So, leave a margin between max and actual when choosing a trailer.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips! Seems a used (if in decent enough shape) Scamp 'Egg' could be a good choice to dip a toe into the RV life
HBadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford