Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #15

Cassette toilets are a good compromise. Many porta-potties use this same design. I changed out my my standard black tank toilet for this, and it's worked out well. I don't like to being tied to a campground or other spot just to dump my waste. Once you see the state of many dump stations, you'll know why. Good luck on your choice.
Trekkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkar View Post
Cassette toilets are a good compromise. Many porta-potties use this same design. I changed out my my standard black tank toilet for this, and it's worked out well. I don't like to being tied to a campground or other spot just to dump my waste. Once you see the state of many dump stations, you'll know why. Good luck on your choice.
I'm curious about where you dump your porta pottie, or whatever you use? It seems that would be necessary no matter what you were using.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
We usually dump ours at the dump station or into the sewer hookup if we're at a full hookup place. The nice thing is you don't have to unhook your rig if you need to dump mid-stay. And we do need to dump every few days. The cars are not big enough to go to long. Just pull out the cassette, dump, put it back and go on. The was one time we dumped at home in the toilet as well (can't remember why now). I don't think most campgrounds will let you do that but it's an option at least.
sandushinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #18

The first time you have a round of bad chili or questionable Mexican food while camping you will be very glad you have a toilet with a black tank, instead of making the hundred yard run to the pit toilet 5 or 6 times in a night.

Ike

p.s. make sure the restroom has a exhaust fan too.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:44 PM   #19

I have always dumped our porta-potty contents in the nearby pit toilet, then rinsed with water, and dumped that in the pit too. The cassette potti should be the same, just easier and more sanitary. Whether the black stuff goes in directly to the pit or via a plastic container should make absolutely no difference.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #20

That makes sense and is about how we did ours when we had a porta pottie. I was more wondering how Trekkar managed his without being tied to a campground or other spot to dump his waste.

We have used dump stations for years and although some are better than others I haven't found that more objectionable than dumping, rinsing, and refilling a porta pottie. I think we just deal with what we have and most are tied to a facility that manages waste.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #21

I think the T@B 400 has a small bathroom. But there are hundreds of small trailers. Winnebago makes the Micro Mini. Starcraft makes the AR-One along with dozens it others.

A bathroom is a big plus IMHO.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I am always amused at the issues people have with black water. It is what it is your hopefully not going to swim in it but if you do it won't kill you. Just wash yourself off and carry on. Yes it smells sometimes and yes it's gross sometimes but changing my kids diapers was ten times worse so I don't get the big deal. If it really is the end of the world a composting /cassette toilet is what you want. That might even make more sense in a popup due to a limited tank size.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #23

Use case for Teardrop Trailers

I think the use case hasn't really been discussed for a teardrop.

If you look at Off-Grid Trailers, Blue Ridge or VORSHEER you will find some serious off-road teardrop style trailers.

I see the difference as being, you can have a toilet and with that toilet you get an RV park. Or you can forgo the toilet and have off-road adventures.

Also, a teardrop, forces you to spend most of your time outdoors. Which won't be an RV park.
DRinUT is offline   Reply With Quote