Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2023, 10:32 PM   #1

Give me a nudge towards one of these: 2008 Fleetwood Saratoga ($4750) or 2010 Jayco

Give me a nudge towards one of these: 2008 Fleetwood Saratoga ($4750) or 2010 Jayco Jay Series ($5600)

looking to upgrade from our first pup. Basically has just run its course and it either needs a $1-2k refurbish or its time to move on. We camp mostly near home for 1-2 nights, maybe 3, essentially long weekends at the coast type stuff. We have a 9 and 4 year old so they can be a bit rough on stuff. Probably never cook inside the camper and usually setup a kitchen outside with a blackstone style two big propane cooker.

Do cassette toilets smell more inside the camper vs a holding tank? Is one or the other easier to cleanout? We don't usually camp at "campgrounds" and more find somewhere in nature / pull off onto a beach type camping

Of course they are each about 2.5 hours away from me and 2.5 hours away from each other so it'd take an ENTIRE day to look at them both.

Reasons to upgrade:
  1. needs water system redone
  2. no outdoor shower/water heater. no use for indoor shower, just something outside to hose off the kids after the beach.
  3. No toilet. I thought having a toilet would be a negative, but quickly learned with kids, it would be worth the hassle to have one.
  4. canvas separating from zipper
  5. sink hinge stripped out
  6. electrical system drain

I have two options at the moment. I'll even link the craigslist, please dont snipe one though that would make my choice easeir.

2008 Fleetwood Saratoga linked to ad - $4750 is current price point

Pros in order of importance:
  1. more adult friendly sized toilet (this is probably biggest pro)
  2. Oven (i do have a portable propane camping oven i could use in the other popup though)High wall (i'm 6'6")
  3. More interior storage?
  4. electric (12v) roof lift
  5. $900 cheaper
  6. solid wall shower (though this is as much a con because we can't reclaim the space)
  7. black water tank instead of cartridge toilet (though not sure which i'd prefer, never used either)
  8. separate outside high pressure grill though honestly, i'd probably end up bringing a blackstone 2 burner setup anyway

Cons:
  1. The A/C is due for a gasket change before next rain
  2. the heater thermostat is wonky and needs to be replaced
  3. beds are due to be replaced says the current owner
  4. heavier 2900lbs

2010 jayco jay series 1206 linked to ad $5600

Pros
  1. immaculate condition it seems and stored really well. Supposedly never used: heater, a/c, water tank, toilet, shower, awning or stove indoors
  2. inside shower can be left tucked away providing more space
  3. Front storage seems nice (though it can't be accessed with the bed pulled out?
  4. inside cooktop can be left home since we'd probably use something else anyway and would then provide more counter space.
  5. cassette toilet is easier to empty?
  6. lighter by 500lbs

Cons
  1. smaller toilet
  2. $900 more expensive
  3. about a 1” separation between the camper shell and canvas in one small area when fully extended. "This can be easily fixed." famous last words.
ahreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
fleetwood, jayco, tow