Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 AM   #1

I spent yesterday afternoon calling all the local camper dealers. I did not find a single one that was willing to bother with replacing tires and repacking the bearings on my PU. Most would not even take the time to give me a price on the tires.

I finally found one over an hour away that spent the time to find out exactly what I needed, call Starcraft directly and call me back with a total job price. He even offered to have them throw the tires inside a camper he is going to the factory to pick up so I didn't have to pay shipping.

Even though he is a good ways off, he WILL get my business. I feel the locals are in the "we have more business than we need" spiral and will eventually hit bottom when the bubble bursts....

Done venting!

Thing '74
WicAndThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:20 AM   #2

I spent yesterday afternoon calling all the local camper dealers. I did not find a single one that was willing to bother with replacing tires and repacking the bearings on my PU. Most would not even take the time to give me a price on the tires.

I finally found one over an hour away that spent the time to find out exactly what I needed, call Starcraft directly and call me back with a total job price. He even offered to have them throw the tires inside a camper he is going to the factory to pick up so I didn't have to pay shipping.

Even though he is a good ways off, he WILL get my business. I feel the locals are in the "we have more business than we need" spiral and will eventually hit bottom when the bubble bursts....

Done venting!

Thing '74
Old 03-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I think it's important to let manufacturer know how the dealers are handling your business. Include in letter that the lack of response from local dealers might make you decide to choose another brand of rv in the future.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:46 AM   #4

You don't say where you are or the names of these places that snubbed you. Please share.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #5

Have you checked with a local, reputable tire dealer? I use ours (Les Schwab) to check the brakes and lube the wheel bearings every year before we head out. They are very happy to do so, and the cost last year was $65 for 2 axles (4 wheels and bearings).

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #6

I'm in the North Alabama area. Huntsville to be precise. I did find one local dealer who decided they would help me, but they wanted near the total cost quoted in Cullman for one tire. No Thanks!

I did check with the local tire dealers. Some of them couldn't get the tires, others could. The main problem all of them had were lack of space in the parking lot. For some strange reason, none of the local tire places have more than a postage stamp parking lot. I can barely get my truck in and out of them, much less with a trailer.

I like to give my business to locals, but I'm not going to pay a premium, get into a parking lot that I can't get out of or deal with people who don't care.

Happy Camping!

Thing '74
Old 03-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #7

Wic & Thing
I bet I can name two of the places. My camper came from one of them.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 03:11 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Is there any non rv trailer dealers in your area? Maybe then can help.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:19 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did not find a single one that was willing to bother with replacing tires and repacking the bearings on my PU. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If we are to assume that PU means pick-up, I wonder what you went to RV dealers rather than tire shops? Most RV dealers are not in the tire business and very few do service work of the tow vehicles. That is mostly because they do not have people who are trained in such work and they do not have a dealership for tires. I never ask an RV dealer to service the toad that follows our motorhome around, nor do I try and buy tires for the motorhome from one.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #10

Kirk
I think PU means Pop Up as in camping trailer.

Tom

2015 Chevy 2500 6.0L 4.10
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:20 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ............Kirk:
....If we are to assume that PU means pick-up..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As "Sunny" says, PU means Pop-up.

FWIW, here's a useful link to one of our many FAQ's that lists the meanings of many other abbreviations used on iRV2. CYAL8R
Old 03-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #12
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't get this as a new posting so I missed answering you. I found it a lot cheaper to repack the bearing myself . I use a large RV supplier for the caps , and bearing if I need them. A simple maintenance book for your T.W. will tell you how to clean, inspect and repack them. I use Discount tire for the tires. as long as I didn't get a flat or hurt the rim its OK. The only thing I find they do, is to try and give me the wrong load range tires. I got one when I first started doing it my self and use it for a spare now because I only need it for short hauls until I get a new one . (Only needed to once) Its all a lot cheaper this way and I don't have to deal with the dealers "when will you need it " attitude.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 AM   #13

In response to Rick A, the first place I went was the dealership where I purchased the PU. They still cary a significant number of PUs on their lot.

Sunny, the above dealership starts with R and ends with d..... and is located on Jordan Lane.

Thing '74
Old 03-18-2005, 07:38 AM   #14

Well,

My new rims and tires came in yesterday. We will be heading out to Cullman, AL tomorrow morning to drop off the camper. Picking it up next weekend. I wanted to only make one trip, but at least the dealer was honest enough to tell me that he couldn't do all the work tomorrow.

When I get it back I should have new balanced wheels and tires and the bearings will be repacked.

I'll let you know how everything goes....

Thing '74