Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2022, 11:58 AM   #1

Light weight full stand up height

I am getting ready to downsize to a small SUV with a tow weight of 2,500-3,500 lbs. That means I need a TT with an empty weight of no more than 2,000 lbs and a GVWR less than 3,500 lbs.

I need full stand up height including the shower. Full TT systems including furnace, water heater, stove, fridge, water storage, flush toilet and shower.

I have looked on line and at the recent Northeast RV show. The only one I could find is the Aliner Ascape ST. It is unique in that it is tear drop shaped in the front, but the rear end is squared off which is where the entry door is located. The first 4-5' is full stand up height until it slopes downward with the front tear drop. A pic is attached.

The only other one I found is the Nucamp, but it has two problems. The bed, twins fore and aft, has a horrible sleeping position with your head tucked under an overhang. The shower is also not full stand up.

Any other ideas?

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	621b5afdeadeac5d1e49b7c0.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	359875  
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2022, 12:27 PM   #2

I think that is a tall order. I had a popup that didn't meet that weight requirement. I think you are going to be stuck with a wet toilet area where the shower and toilet are in the same space. The waste tank is going to be very small.

I couldn't even find a tent camper with a shower/toilet setup that had a dry weight under about 2500 pounds.

You can look at Forest River Flagstaff and see if you want to bite off that much.

I know when I looked at SUVs back in 2014, short of a full size SUV, or perhaps a mid-size like a Ford Explorer, you were limited to that 3500 pound capacity, and I never even got to the payload capacity.

I ended up with a GMC Canyon (Chevy Colorado sibling) to get a decent tow rating. Is there a reason you can't consider a md-size truck? In 2014-2015, I found they were priced better than smaller SUVs with less capability. Put a cap or a tonneau cover over the bed and you can get a lot of the flexibility of an SUV with a lot more capability.
Old 03-21-2022, 01:48 PM   #3

I would consider a small truck, but Mama don't like it. And you know what they say if Mama ain't happy?

In the small SUV world, there only seem to be a few with 3,500 lb tow ratings and all have upgraded turbocharged engines: Subaru Outback, Ford Escape and Toyota RAV4.

I do like the Escape ST. But it is no longer produced by Aliner so it will have to be used.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #4

Is the Chevy Traverse too large? Ford Explorer? Toyota Highlander?

You can get a Chevy Traverse rated to tow 5K at least, a little more wiggle room.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:03 PM   #5

We have a 2021 NuCamp T@B 320S Boondock. We sleep with our heads toward the front so the cabinets aren't a problem. The inside kitchen version (S not CS) has longer beds. Any small 2,000 lb or less teardrop with a shower won't give you much room or a very large freshwater tank anyway so wanting a big shower inside isn't going to do you much good. After searching for months, the T@B we have is the best equipped and quality we found in the 2K or less range. You need to think of a small teardrop more as a hard shell tent than a full size camper and plan accordingly.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #6

The Braxton Creek Bushwhacker Plus trailers check all of your boxes except for the 2,000 lb dry weight (all are a few hundred over that). They have larger tanks than most other similar size TTs. They are inexpensive, and you get what you pay for in terms of build quality.

However, I would not tow a Bushwhacker Plus with any of the three small CUVs you mentioned. My Toyota Highlander technically is rated to tow 5,000 lbs, but it has all it can handle with my Bushwhacker Plus 17BH (2,380 dry/3,300 gross weight). Wind resistance is a killer for a small/medium size CUV, so you will find that you can't get anywhere near the maximum tow rating.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:35 AM   #7

I'll throw another vote towards the Nucamp T@B 320. It checks the boxes of most of your want list. We actually ended up in a T@B 400 but came pretty close to buying the T@B 320, and it probably would have been fine for most things. We realized we had some pretty long trips coming up so decided to opt for the little bigger 400. As well we have a medium sized SUV with 447 horsepower so towing it isn't a problem. But take the time to check out the 320. Seems pricey at first but has some high end European components and tows super nice without any fancy hitches etc. People we know who went the 320 route love them. Or if you get a little beefier SUV look at the 400. Our loaded for camping weight is about 3450 pounds and hitch weight about 340 pounds.

Hope that helps. I don;t have a picture of the 320 but here is our 400.

radar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight