Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #1

Propane Test

I purchased a used Popup last year and used it several times. I did not use the propane system on it. I want to test the system before I used it. Is there any typ of pressure testers that I can purchase. I would like to use this randomly to check over the next few years since this an older camper. Any help would be appreciated.
wlaflamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to the IRV2 family.... Does it have a inside stove & furnace? We had a 99' Coleman that both and inside a a outside stove. How old is the pop-up?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #3

Given it's a pop-up (i.e. well vented) you could just turn on the gas and spray soapy water (shake up a bottle of Windex or so) on all the propane connections looking for bubbles.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
Given it's a pop-up (i.e. well vented) you could just turn on the gas and spray soapy water (shake up a bottle of Windex or so) on all the propane connections looking for bubbles.
That's a good idea except for the Windex. Use a soap product that DOES NOT HAVE AMMONIA. Ammonia will cause brass (fittings) to become brittle and crack.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #5

kix - Good point! I usually use plain old dish soap and water in a sprayer but tried to think of something easier for this posting. I probably should have mentioned using Formula 409 or something similar?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a RED/Green "Tank empty" indicator on the regulator, then turn off everything and open one tank valve, the indicator should go green, close valve and check tomorrow, should still be green

If you have not, then open a tank valve till you hear the hiss of gas flowing, Ok, open all the way then close, come back tomorrow and open slowly, did you hear the hiss of gas flow again? (You should not) note that this is not as good as the first version.

You can get in in-line pressure gauge from most places that sell RV's
Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Type of pressure tester? LP systems should be set to 11" water column, which is ~0.5 psi. This requires a special gauge and knowledge of adjustment procedures. It's cheaper and safer to have a RV tech or gas company perform this adjustment.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote