Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
JFL

Hi again. I have a hard side 1989 Palomino TXL 14' pop up tent camper. The roof has hail damage and I am considering replacing it. Does anyone know of anyplace where I can get the roof replaced in the north Texas area around the Dallas or Ft. Worth area? It is not terrible but an eye sore. This is a spring activated top not a crank up.

Thanks.
JFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
JFL

Hi again. I have a hard side 1989 Palomino TXL 14' pop up tent camper. The roof has hail damage and I am considering replacing it. Does anyone know of anyplace where I can get the roof replaced in the north Texas area around the Dallas or Ft. Worth area? It is not terrible but an eye sore. This is a spring activated top not a crank up.

Thanks.
JFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:03 AM   #3

IMO, if it's not leaking, I'd leave well enough alone. A new roof would cost more than the trailer is worth, most likely.

Two huskies and five kitties
Spirit Deer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:10 AM   #4

I agree with Spirit Deer! We had hail damage on our prior PU that was somewhat of an eyesore but heck, once you put the roof up who can see it anyway? If it isn't leaking just leave it alone.
MissLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:05 AM   #5

We had a 1979 Starcraft that I used for many years that had hail damage. We gave it to some friends that still use it. It has never leaked. It gave the old trailer some character!

'01 Coleman Fairview W/GlideOut
Fairview 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #6

If you do decide to replace it, you can do it yourself. I replaced a roof on our Palomino that had been damaged by excessive ice load. You'll need some friends to help take the old one off and set the new one on, but it is a surprisingly easy job. I took pictures of everything, so if you do it, I can send you some.

Like the others though, I would leave it if it not causing a problem.

Mike
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #7

maybe try some roll on trailer roof sealant,looks nice and really easy to apply
srds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #8

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NH Camper:
If you do decide to replace it, you can do it yourself. I replaced a roof on our Palomino that had been damaged by excessive ice load. You'll need some friends to help take the old one off and set the new one on, but it is a surprisingly easy job. I took pictures of everything, so if you do it, I can send you some.

Like the others though, I would leave it if it not causing a problem.

Hi there! We are having issues with our roof leaking on the pop up. The plywood inside is all rotten. Would love to see pictures of how you did your roof. Did you buy an new roof or just rebuild the one you have? We resealed all the seams with caulking but doesn't seem to work.
dizneemjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #9

I too must replace my roof (1998 Damon Camplite 2408SLE). The structural wood seems okay (as I was on the camper not more than 2 months ago installing an AC unit). While repacking the bearings, I jacked the trailer up between the tongue and tandem axle causing undue stress to the camper and causing the rail that seals the top to the side of the roof to pop up. This usually is held down by 25 - 30 screws. When I attempted to re-secure it, the screws just spun in their holes (all the wood it would normally secure to was rotted out).

I would be interested in anyone's experience related to rebuilding / replacing the roof.
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #10

ping...anyone have input on this? I sure do need the help.
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Hi Gonzo,

I have done the work myself, so I might shed some light. You need to have a garage to work in ( or at least a very good tarp), and you need to have a planer available. When I took apart the roof of our former PUP, all of the 1x2's and 2x2's were rotted, and not uniform like a lumber yard stock. So that is where the planer comes in. You will completely disassemble the outer skin and anything that is roof mounted. Be careful, the aluminum skin is very sharp. Also, the aluminum skin may be adheared to the styrofoam in the roof. So you'll have to work by pushing the old wood out as you push the new wood into place.

Let me know if you need some pictures.

George
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonzo628:
I too must replace my roof (1998 Damon Camplite 2408SLE). The structural wood seems okay (as I was on the camper not more than 2 months ago installing an AC unit). While repacking the bearings, I jacked the trailer up between the tongue and tandem axle causing undue stress to the camper and causing the rail that seals the top to the side of the roof to pop up. This usually is held down by 25 - 30 screws. When I attempted to re-secure it, the screws just spun in their holes (all the wood it would normally secure to was rotted out).

I would be interested in anyone's experience related to rebuilding / replacing the roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
George you still have those old pictures you have on your website or the restoration project on your old pop-up.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Jim,
I still have the photos, but I don't think they are in cyberspace right now.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #14

George;

Did you ever get the phot's in cyber space? If so I would like to see them.

Thank you

Jack