Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM   #1

Just got back from cold weekend trip and we noticed the sink was leaking at the drain. OK easy fix new plumbers putty and away we go. Not, filled with water tested and that is fine however, it drains so slow it isn't even funny. Asked wife about it and she said it been like that from day one. any answers or tips.
2002 coleman laramie
fourgonefishn
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2004, 09:44 AM   #2

Just got back from cold weekend trip and we noticed the sink was leaking at the drain. OK easy fix new plumbers putty and away we go. Not, filled with water tested and that is fine however, it drains so slow it isn't even funny. Asked wife about it and she said it been like that from day one. any answers or tips.
2002 coleman laramie
fourgonefishn
Old 04-28-2004, 02:13 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Are you draining into a portable holding tank? If so, make sure you somewhere for air to escape the tank as the water drains into displacing the air. I had the same problem using a tote-tank when I had my pop-up. Also check the drain and trap to make sure they are not clogged.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:12 AM   #4

Simple reply: For water to go down a pipe, the air in the pipe has to go someplace else. Just like Rick A, says, be sure the air can escape from your tote tank. Even though I have 1 inch drain, if I forget to take the lid off the tote, the sink wont drain. Also be sure your flexible hose under the sink when folded/or setup, hasnt kinked. Many folks on this internet site have made modifications to their PU. I got my idea from here too. Many have an air inlet outside the PU, I liked the idea of hiding all the pipes. My modifications can be found here:

Flagstaff Mac 205
Old 04-28-2004, 08:02 PM   #5

I have a Coleman Bayside and the sink in it drains slow as well. An article I read gave a cheap fix. You need 3 4inch sections of 1/2 inch pvc one 1/2 inch "T" connector and one each of a 1/2 inch male and female garden hose adapters. Put together dry at first then you can glue it later. Make it so the female adapter and one 4 inch section of pvc fits into the side of the 'T' connector and one 4 inch section that goes up from the 'T' connector. Put the last 4inch section going toward the botton of the "T" connector with the male garden hose conector on it. It should let air into your line and speed up the draining. It might coat you 10-12 dollars. I found the article in the PoP up Times magizine.
Dan
DeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 08:06 PM   #6

It's me again. I forgot to tell you to put this on the outside of your trailer where your gry water comes out.

Oh silly ME!!!
DeWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:25 PM   #7

Yup, you need a vent.

Also try leveling you PUP toward the drain, it does help also!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:07 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fourgonefishn:
2002 coleman laramie
fourgonefishn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at your drain hose right before it heads down from your upper cabinet to the lower. Does it rise up first, before going down into the lower cabinet?

This was the source of my problem in my 02 Sun Valley. I strapped the hose down so it was totally flat in the upper cabinet, and slow drains became a thing of the past.

Once water gets past that rise, it develops momentum as it falls and will push its way through the trap at the bottom. But the rise makes it difficult for water to reach the point where it can fall to the trap.

DW '61, DS '90, DD '94
conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 08:25 PM   #9

Vent the sink!

Here a link of a pic which can gives you the
idea. Build on it using pvc as Dewayne stated
using some T connectors and 1/2 or 3/4 inch
connections.

http://www.title-3.com/images/GWYConn.jpg
Old 05-19-2004, 10:35 AM   #10

I have the same problem in my '98 Coleman Cheyenne. I've tried vents, vacuum breakers, extra hoses, bigger outside hoses, stretching hoses, etc. with no luck yet.

Other people have had a lot of luck with attaching a tee to the output and providing a vent, but not me yet... ( my drain is garden hose sized).
My next attempt will be to go for wider hoses inside the popup from the sink to the output fitting.

What a terrible design flaw for them to have in the things for so many years! shame on them.

1998 Coleman Cheyenne
zarfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 04:34 AM   #11

When I remodeled and added a "shower" to the popup, I placed one of those countertop vents that you sometimes see for dishwashers in the drain line. But then my drain lines are part regular household plumbing pipe and part garden hose so it's a bit different. If your drain hose isn't kinked somewhere then it's an air lock problem. Placing a vent inline somewhere will solve the problem. It's up to you to figure out where.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:15 AM   #12

Thanks for the ideas!

1998 Coleman Cheyenne
zarfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:12 PM   #13

Thanks for all the replies, have been away for awhile and now back. Going out this weekend for camping and will try this.
fourgonefishn
Old 07-08-2004, 09:10 PM   #14
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Ours is slow too, But you know what, we are camping and relaxing. Who cares.