Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #1

Suburban sw6d

Hello, just bought this 2014 Palomino pop up with the suburban sw6d water heater and was not told about turning the valve that supplies water to the hwh. I filled the tank with water, turned on the pump, and hit the switch for the hwh. Heater came on and of course no hot water. Seeing nothing in the manuals instructing me to do so, I was unaware that the valve was shut till I went on this forum and found that out.
Now that I have water supplied to the hwh, it does fill and heat, but the water is luke warm at best, then immediately goes cold. When the hwh stops heating, it takes quite some time before I can get it to go back on.
Did I damage something by firing it up without water. I don't even know how it's supposed to operate since it's possible I damaged it. Thanks in advance for any input on this issue.
Popupbob2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The water heater element has to be submerged in water before putting power to it, else it will burn out.

Cheap to replace though, readily available. Believe even home depot has them.

I'm always very careful to turn off element when draining heater to winterize, or when filing after dewinterization. I even mark the breaker to not turn it on by mistake.

You may have to buy a heating element replacement socket, it's a big socket. I have one from Amazon in my tool bin.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are also two reset buttons, about the size of a quarter and black in colour. If you have propane only you only have one reset button, press and release and it should click, in a quiet environment, and then with luck no harm no foul.
Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #4

Does this apply to the hwh that are propane only, which is what I have? Is that why I don't feel any better than luke warm and then cold water even though the water is hot in the tank? By the way, this is not equipped with a bypass valve
Also, should the hwh run continuously as long as water is running and the heater switch is on.
---------------------------------
2010 f150 supercrew
2014 Palomino Basecamp 12fsb
Old 07-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #5

It is possible you have burned out the electric element or overheated the control unit, but I'll bet the problem is you have not turned off the water heater bypass.

The unit has a bypass system that consists a set of valves that allow the unit to be filled with antifreeze for the winter without filling the entire water heater. There are usually Three valves and piping. The cold water line comes into a T. Out one side of the T is a cutoff with a pipe to the inlet of the heater. Out of the other side of the T is a cutoff connected to a second T. One port on this second T connects to a cutoff that goes to the hot water outlet of the heater. The other port of the second T is the hot water outlet and goes to the fixtures. To winterize, close both tank valves and open the cross valve. This connects the Hot and Cold water system and turnoff the tanks so it can be drained. For normal operation open both tank valves and close the center valve between the two T's. This allows cold water into the tank and connects the hot water lines to the fixtures, but blocks any water from going directly from the cold line into the hot pipes.

Whew - That took a lot of words for a simple device.

Ill bet you have the center valve open which allows cold water to flow into the hot water outlet. This would explain tepid water then cold only.

If this is not the problem, below there is a link to a troubleshooting manual that may help if you are handy with a meter and hand tools. The primary heat system is gas with 12 volt electric controls. Some models having a secondary 120 VAC booster system.

In normal operation it should work as you would expect. Turn on the faucet and get either 6 or 12 gallons of hot water (Gas, or gas electric both). Turn off the hot faucet and it should reheat the water and shut off.

Hope this helps

- Jerry

Here is the manual:

http://trekin.digital-digs.net/Share...ban%20V1.1.pdf
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:27 PM   #6

Sw6d hwh

Just wanted thank everyone for their prompt responses regarding my hwh issue. Turns out that it was indeed the ck valve that I finally was able to locate. Great hot water and everything is operating as it should. Not an expert yet, but might be slowly moving in that direction with assistance from the many rvers out there as issues arise
-------------------------------
2014 Palomino Basecamp edition fbs
2010 f150 supercrew 4x4