Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #1

I just purchased a 2003 Honda Odyssey for the purpose to flat tow. I have been using a dolly for the past six years. The dealer did not give me much information, except, put it in "N" and pull the fuse. I have talked with other honda owners, who flat tow. They said they connect to there RV, then start engine and go through the gears, (R, 1,2,D3,D then N). Turn the key to the first lock, then drive away. If any of you good folks have a Honda Odyssey, and can help me out. I want to get this in my head before I go out and purchase the tow package.

Thanks

360HP Cummings
jcrowder47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #2

I just purchased a 2003 Honda Odyssey for the purpose to flat tow. I have been using a dolly for the past six years. The dealer did not give me much information, except, put it in "N" and pull the fuse. I have talked with other honda owners, who flat tow. They said they connect to there RV, then start engine and go through the gears, (R, 1,2,D3,D then N). Turn the key to the first lock, then drive away. If any of you good folks have a Honda Odyssey, and can help me out. I want to get this in my head before I go out and purchase the tow package.

Thanks

360HP Cummings
Old 11-03-2007, 07:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you don't have the owners manual, I would try and find one. The manual for my 06 CRV is very clear on the towing procedure.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The 2003 Odyssey is not approved by Honda for towing, however some folks are towing them.

Honda's have a very specific procedure to be followed before towing.

You can search on "Honda Odyssey", by clicking "find", and find some additional information.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #5

I tow a 2000 Honda Odyssey with no problems. Honda's stance before 2005 was their automatic transmission models were towable if a specific sequence was followed prior to towing. It is very important that you do not shift directly from park to neutral as it leaves some portion of the reverse lock engaged. I've posted below the procedure as provided by Honda in 2000. I believe it will be the same for your 2003.

Service Bulletin Regarding Honda Towability

2/22/00
(all models except CR-V)
Dear customer:
Regarding your inquiry on towing your Honda or Acura automobile behind a motorhome:
For your vehicle, the Owner's Manual advises against towing at more than 35 m.p.h or for more than 50 miles. However, this recommendation exists primarily because Honda has not conducted formal tests at higher speeds and for greater distances.
We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by motorhome towing of Honda/Acura automobiles with either manual or automatic transmission, so long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds.
Manual Transmission
When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill.
"¢ Release the parking brake.
"¢ Shift the transmission to Neutral.
"¢ Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY (1) position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.
Automatic Transmission
When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill.
If Honda/Acura automobile with an automatic transmission is tow towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing:
"¢ Start the engine.
"¢ Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1).
"¢ Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off engine.
"¢ Release the parking brake.
"¢ Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (1) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery.
If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures.
NOTICE:
The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the ACCESSORY (1) position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle.
CAUTION:
Severe automatic transmission damage will occur if the car is shifted from reverse to neutral and then towed with the drive wheels on the ground.
NOTICE:
Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be on a flat bed truck or trailer.
If you tow a Honda/Acura vehicle with automatic transmission, the fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Although experience has shown that the Honda/Acura transmission and powertrain are capable of being "motorhome towed", America Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator.
If you have additional questions, please call American Honda Motor Co. Inc. (National Consumer Affairs) at 800-999-1009.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #6

Thanks Fred, I am having the Blue Ox package put on Tuesday at Southland Motorhome Center, in Buford, GA. If you never heard of them, they are very good with RV's, thats there main business, totally family owned and operated.

I checked around four different locations, and they had the best prices, they were $800 less than Camping World. $1,500 to $2,300, for the same work and equipment. Southland charges about 3 hours and the rest charges 6 hours labor, and the book says it only 3 hours install time. Guess why I went to Southland.

360HP Cummings
Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the tow procedure, Honda did not put the information in the manual. You can contact Honda corporate and they will send you a document of the tow procedure. I kept the document in case there was a dispute regarding towability.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks Fred, I am having the Blue Ox package put on Tuesday at Southland Motorhome Center, in Buford, GA. If you never heard of them, they are very good with RV's, thats there main business, totally family owned and operated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree and what a coincidence. Southland Motorhome Center did all of my motorhome maintenance for the last three years until we moved away from metro Atlanta. Good folks....Fred