Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #1

1000 Mile ride.

I am looking at a trip from MA. to Northern MI. This would be one of the longest drives for me in quite sometime. Without totally killing myself behind the wheel would a 1000 miles be doable in 2 days ? I am still working and I don't want to drain all of my vacation time on one trip.

Any ideas and or opinions would be appreciated.
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You do not say what you are driving.
With our MH we try to keep our days under 300 miles.
Usually around 250.

Why the rush????
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #3

That's about 8 hours of driving each day. Certainly do-able, just not fun; especially if weather and/or traffic becomes a factor. Would you be going through Canada?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:44 AM   #4

x2 Luckyd. With the traffic on the road today you would be lucky to go 500 miles in a car.
Being from Michigan, there is nothing in northern Michigan worth that energy expenditure.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
You do not say what you are driving.
With our MH we try to keep our days under 300 miles.
Usually around 250.

Why the rush????
Like he said "still working" remember those days?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe for you, but I'm waaay past driving that far in two days!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

My rule of thumb is 8 hours a day maximum. That equates to about 400 miles per day. Got to stop for bathroom breaks, fuel and to eat sometime.

That said, I will drive 10 hours my first day out and my last day, but I never drive three days in a row. Got to have a down day.

So my answer is, yes it can be done. Enjoy N Michigan. Recommend Mackinaw and Sault St. Marie.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
That's about 8 hours of driving each day. Certainly do-able, just not fun; especially if weather and/or traffic becomes a factor. Would you be going through Canada?
Whether to go through Canada or not is a big consideration. Passing through Canada will cut down on your distance by perhaps 150 miles but 2 border crossings could add hours to your trip, that's a complete unknown.

I think 500 miles in a day is really ambitious in a motorhome. On my maiden voyage as a brand new RV'er (which really means totally clueless ) I drove from Houston to Carlsbad, a total of 660 miles in one day, and didn't take any interstates. I had my son helping with the driving but it was still really painful. Did the same thing coming home but took a longer route, by 100 miles, and had to drive many hours at night. Learned a valuable lesson on that trip, limit the driving to 300 miles a day if possible and stay off the road in the dark.

I had a breakdown this past summer and lost a day of my schedule so had to double up to get back on track. That was a 475 mile day with a border crossing into Canada. It was a 10 hour day with very few stops and we lucked out at the border, only waited about 30 minutes to get through. I would not want to do that two days in a row.

Sure, you can probably do the 1,000 in two days but about mid-way through day 2 you are going to question that decision, I'm sure of it!

Best of luck with the trip ... be safe.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #9

It can be done we have a 38ft MH and a toad. 2 years ago we were trying to out run bad weather coming out of Idaho To Michigan and for 2 days we went about 1100 miles. I wouldn't want to do it again, We now try to go only 2 to 3 hundred miles a day that seams to work for us. But you are working with limited time so good luck. You might consider US 23 rather than I 75 through Detroit depending on the time of day Detroit traffic is ruff. If you get a chance check out all the wineries in the Travers City area. The west coast of Michigan is nice along the lake.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #10

Yes... 1000 miles in two days is VERY doable for us working stiff's who have limited vacation time..

My .02 cents... Our usual plan for trips is to leave Friday nights... Usually we are working to have everything ready all week long... and on Friday, we get home from work (usually try to get out early), pack up any last minute items and then go... we may drive 2, 3, or 6 hours that first night.. it all depends... but the key is.. we get on the road.. usually stop and "Wally-dock" or hit up a rest area to sleep... That way, we have a few hours under our belt before the vacation "officially" starts on Saturday..

edit: this progam has served us well on trips out west to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone, and out east to Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown/Gettysburg

My philosophy on leaving is... the best laid plans, usually don't work for me... if I was to say to my GF and kids we are leaving at 6am on a Saturday morning.. likely, that would turn into 8:00, 9:00 maybe even 10:00... with leaving on Friday, we are more focused and get out the door quicker... and like I said.. getting us going in the right direction sure helps.. and there is no time table for Friday nights travel.. plus, the kids like think its fun to sleep over in the RV "on the road"..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

When we bought our 2014 Newmar Bay Star in August, we flew from Baltimore, MD to Fort Myers, FL. We bought the coach on Friday, and after a short stop on Sannibel Island so my wife could do some shelling, hit the road on Saturday morning, headed North to Baltimore. Other than the 2 miles from the dealership to the RV resort that they put us up in, I hadn't driven a motorhome in 30 years. The first day, I did about 470 miles over the span of 9 hours, and the next day I did about 590. They were long days to be sure. I like you, still work, and while I would like to limit our days to 300 miles, that just isn't in the cards. You can do it. Start early, and take multiple breaks. They will be some long days, but it's doable. Now if I could just convince my wife to split the driving, with say a 4 hour shift. If we both did two 4 hour shifts.....
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Of course it is doable, just not very pleasant for the driver. I also restrict my mileage per day to 250-300 miles.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #13

There's a lot of variables here. Your route is one of them, already mentioned, and what about weather? Is this something you'll be doing in warm weather?

You can pull up Mapquest and plug in your location and destination to get something that generally turns out to be pretty close when it comes to drive time. Even your GPS?

It would be into the 3rd day for us.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #14

If you are crossing the border USA/Canada your best investment is in a Nexus card (Trusted Traveller program) cost is $50/person for 5 years so 2 people cost is $100. All occupants must have a card. Wait times a very low sometimes as little as 5-10 mins. So if you are crossing 2 times/year you are paying an extra 10$/crossing likely saving that just in gas and less hassle. We cross multiple times/year so it is an easy choice.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote