Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had bought a 6 year old motorhome with the original tires. When the 3rd tire popped on our 2nd trip, we replaced all 6 with Bridgestone tires as that is what the dealer had. The best new tire went on as spare. We had no more tire issues while we owned the motorhome. We were lucky in that the tire failures were all on the rear and at relatively lower speeds.

For the sake of safety, I would replace all 6 and if the spare is as old, look for a newer spare.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post
Once it's agreed as a safety issue, then it's as good as done. But the first step is agreeing that it is a safety issue vs. just a potential inconvenience that's "just as likely as picking up a nail with new tires". Plenty of convincing horror stories for front wheel and tag axle blowouts. Not so many for double dually blowouts.

The argument is that the TPMS will give us a warning in time to get the tire swapped out before it becomes a "real" problem.
Michelin advises to remove their RV tires from service at or before 10 years of age. This is provided that the tires have been used, stored and inspected per Michelin’s guidance for the entire 10 year period. Not all manufacturers provide such specific guidance.

A TPMS will monitor and send alerts for, high pressure, low pressure and high temperature. A tire can fail without any of those conditions being present. Particularly, tires that remain in service beyond the recommendations of the manufacturer.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #17

Have your wife watch this video to see what a blown tire does to a NASCAR racecar, and these tires don't even weigh half as much as your tires. Watch the driver's side front fender at 35 seconds in.

I'd replace the tires.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:44 PM   #18

Let me tell you my favorite story about old adhesives. You do know that the layers of a tire are glued together with adhesives and in recent tires a (since 1985), they have had to go to water-borne adhesives that seen to have some compatibility issues. But enough of that.

Space Suits are falling apart.
These are the suits from the original Mercury program. Changes were required for the Gemini and later programs, so NASA offered these suits to museums. This was with the provision that they be stored in climate controlled cases and not handled by other than the curatorial staff. A few years ago, during the regular evaluations, said suits were coming apart at the joints and seams. A panic started. Everybody was in a tizzy...
It seems that regardless of care and storage, the adhesives aged out. That was all there was to that.

Now, if adhesives like those that bond the parts of a space suit that gets the assembly inspected and certified at every step, what chance do you have with the adhesives that bond a tire carcass together??

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #19

Safety Issue.....tires ARE a safety issue
11 yr old tires are beyond being a safety issue

Pay now............pay out on the road.
Your choice...actually your wide's choice
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Replace them NOW.
That is correct. Or you will be replacing them at a very inconvenient time. And even if you don't do damage to the coach, it will ruin your trip and cost lots of extra dollars. Let's start with the $1500 tow bill.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:58 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

And Murphy's Law pretty much guarantees that blowout will come at the worst possible time, ruining a family vacation or making you miss an important event.
When we got our new to us 2009 coach in 2016 it had 1 1/2 year old michelin tires on it. Arriving home and going over everything the right inside had no air, bad SS valve extender. Had both tires removed and inspected, new extenders and all good. Now have dually solid extenders.

Fast forward to our last trip to FMCA rally in Perry GA. in March. Arrive on Monday
and on Friday the right front blows just sitting there. Coachnet found a tire and installer and 3 1/2 hrs later the tire was replaced and we continued our rally. Having a cross country trip starting on Monday 4/13 i wasn't about to gamble with my and others safety and had all 6 replaced with Toyos.

That tire blowout i was oh so thankful it happened while sitting.

My second escape from disaster was last year once we returned from a 1200 mile trip. Once home and unloadied taking the coach to storage 3 miles away 1/2 way there my brakes failed. Rusted line from the ABS module to the r front. I replaced 4 lines to the front.

Thinking now i should buy a lottery ticket.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post

The argument is that the TPMS will give us a warning in time to get the tire swapped out before it becomes a "real" problem.

Maybe-- maybe NOT.

If sudden blow out, NO WARNING.

If slow leak, sure it will alert you.

With old tires, sudden failure is more likely. Slow leak no more likely than brand new tire where you ran over a nail.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
It's beyond comprehension why anybody, who knows anything about tires,would even consider driving around the block on 11 year old tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:58 PM   #24

I replaced my Goodyear G614 on a 5th wheel at 9 years
No sign of cracking anywhere until I looked deep in the tread then I found cracks
You have tick, tick, tick
You never know when they could go and how bad could the blow out be?
I even replaced the spare never saw the road didn't like the rim rust it too
Is you life or loved ones worth a tire
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:22 AM   #25

Life is full of choices. Are you feeling lucky? Pay me now or pay me later. It’s still a free country so it’s your choice. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 04-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
[QUOTE=Old-Biscuit;
Your choice...actually your wide's choice[/QUOTE]

And then the fight started.....

Will she accept the autocorrect excuse??? lol.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #27

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a thread get to 26 posts where everyone, essentially, makes the same recommendation.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:20 AM   #28

I have 5400 miles on my 2013 RV Michelin 235/80R/225 XRV
just replaced them with Toyo 245/75R/22.5
I put on about 500 miles each year.
The old Michelin s looked like new. Cost me $2,800 for new tires.
Not worth the gamble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	324609  
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires