Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 09:03 PM   #85

I guess I was lucky, never had any coach damage, of course I never drive over 52 miles per hour.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #86

How lucky do you feel? At the VERY least, spend $700+ on the TST Tire Monitor (best available IMHO) It will tell you pressure and temp on up to 16+ tires (I have no idea what the upper limit is) THEN, when a tire fails (and it will be SOON), you will be given an AUDIBLE warning the moment it fails. Unfortunately, it will likely NOT prevent the hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage it caused. JUST replace the fricatta tires and stop being a cheapskate and "stepping over a dollar to save a dime" SHEES!
Old 04-15-2021, 11:26 PM   #87

Use it or lose it

Have you ever stumbled across an old pair of old shorts or a swimsuit with elastic waist that you hadn’t worn in years in the back of some drawer? Maybe a pair of socks? And when you take them out and try to put them on there’s this horrible crackling sound. And there is no elasticity. That is what happens to tires that just sit. 5000 miles in 10 years is a recipe for disaster. They are dry rotted. Pure and simple. The molecular properties of rubber require that they be in motion. A tire’s worst enemy is sitting still. I put 4000 miles a year on my tires and still change them out every five. Suck it up and buy new ones. Happy travels!
Rorytug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:00 AM   #88

There are videos on youtube that shows what can happen in the event of any tire blowing out. Watch these videos with your better half and hopefully both of you will be convinced that new tires and a TPMS system are in your future.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:41 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer last year. The tires looked perfect but the age had them as 2007. The guy that sold it to us said in no way should/could we trust them, even though they looked perfect and had 0 signs of cracking or dry rot.

We put new Coopers tires on the unit. Wasn't cheap but not worth the risk.
kkocan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:12 AM   #90

Replace them. A friend left them too long and when the tire blew it came up through bathroom floor and took out fender moldings. Cost him a lot of money to repair.
RVHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 07:30 AM   #91

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post
The service center (Kremer Services) keeps telling us the tires are fine, and there's no need to replace them when we have them do a spring inspection.
I wonder if they would be willing to put that in writing. My guess is no.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #92

As the others have said, 11 year old tires are a disaster waiting to happen. We have had two blow-outs in the past 12 years, and neither tire was under inflated nor older than 5 years. NOT FUN! Even though we try to minimize risk, negative things sometimes happens - that is why we have roadside assist with CoachNet and $1,000 deductible insurance (an amount we can easily cover). To minimize risk, we change tires as soon as micro cracks appear in the sidewalls, or 7 years - which ever comes first. As has also been said, you need a new tire dealer that knows tires for heavy RV vehicles.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:45 AM   #93

Old tires, sudden loss of air

I bought a used RV that had 4 good tires but the previous own had left old tires on the inner duels. At different times both of these ten year old tires popped the sidewall after sitting in a campground for a week at 10pm. Big noise, pencil sized hole in sidewall. If this happened to a front tire at highway speed you could have your hands full so I would never have oldies on the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04115.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1,014.6 KB
ID:	325168  
Geo19Irv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #94

This is not like gambling on outdated milk. Lives could be at stake.
Don’t underestimate the risk.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #95

did not read all the posts but replace now - 7 years is tops - I have several vehicles with low mileage - Just go to a discount tire and ask . Be safe
Edwin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #96
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
In 2006 I bought my 1995 American Eagle from the first owner.
The tires looked perfect and had been replaced by the previous owner, however due to failing health he had not driven it for a number of years.
I started on a trip in 2012 and had three tires blowout in the space of two weeks. First the inner passenger dually, then the outer passenger dually, finally the passenger front steer tire.
The outer rear dually tore up wiring and storage that had to be rewelded.

I suspect the coach had been stored before I got it with the sun on the passenger side tires.

I replaced all the tires when I got home.

Tires age even if stored out of the sun.

Having the steer tire blow was one of the scariest things that ever happened to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0346.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	325171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0347.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	325172  

JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #97

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whybother View Post
Our 1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R (P32, Class A, 10K GAWR rear, 5.3K GAWR front) has 11 year old tires (8R19.5 LR/F), but are otherwise in good shape, and have less than 5K miles on them.

The service center (Kremer Services) keeps telling us the tires are fine, and there's no need to replace them when we have them do a spring inspection.
However, everywhere I read says you should replace tires after 10 years, no matter the condition. (I can't find manufacture recommendations for the specific tires.)

We expect to be driving the old beast a fair amount this year, so I'm thinking about replacing just the fronts, knowing those are the worst if they go out, and chancing it with the rear duallies, hoping that by adding a TPMS I'd have a higher chance of dealing with a single blowout on the rear before the other goes.

Are we crazy to keep going on 11 year old rears? Should we go by the service center recommendation and not even replace the front?
Unfortunately due to a lack of tire engineering for preventing blowouts or at least the explosion of such, 10yrs is the absolute max. life.
My last blowout of the inside dually on my drive axle caused $10K in damage.
The good news was that it was mostly all labor, so was able to collect and for fixing it myself. Unbelievable with the way the steel belts slapped the underbody and for causing that kind of damage. Wasn't going all that fast and for not taking that long to stop either.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #98

20+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakita1969 View Post
I just replaces Toyo`s that were 17 years old. Leans me to believe these tire manufacturers are fudging the recommended replacement date by several years. Guess that keeps them in business.
It is good to know that Toyos are quality tires. My first rv was a bus that had 20 year old Michelins with good tread. I didn't come from an rv background and didn't know anyone with an rv so I drove on the Michelins for over 2 years without problems.

Then I joined an antique bus club and the members I met had conniption fit over the age of the tires. The bus had been stored indoors on the west coast when not in use and the tires performed flawlessly.

The bus club recommended selling tires at 4 years of age to truckers. At the time, the DOT allowed truckers to use up to 5 year old tires. Over the road truckers will go through a couple of sets a year. It was the old win-win. truckers got near new tires on the cheap and rvers got subsidized prices.

Don't know if it is still a thing.

Mike
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires