Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2021, 09:57 AM   #1

11 year old tires with less than 5K

Our 1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R (P32, Class A, 10K GAWR rear, 5.3K GAWR front) has 11 year old tires (8R19.5 LR/F), but are otherwise in good shape, and have less than 5K miles on them.

The service center (Kremer Services) keeps telling us the tires are fine, and there's no need to replace them when we have them do a spring inspection.
However, everywhere I read says you should replace tires after 10 years, no matter the condition. (I can't find manufacture recommendations for the specific tires.)

We expect to be driving the old beast a fair amount this year, so I'm thinking about replacing just the fronts, knowing those are the worst if they go out, and chancing it with the rear duallies, hoping that by adding a TPMS I'd have a higher chance of dealing with a single blowout on the rear before the other goes.

Are we crazy to keep going on 11 year old rears? Should we go by the service center recommendation and not even replace the front?
whybother is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #2

Even a blowout on the back can cause a lot of body damage and leave you on the side of the road or think about a blowout on a very busy interstate where theres no place to safely exit. No way I would risk it on tires that old. Can show you over $18000 dollars in damage from a tag axle blowout
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #3

Replace them NOW.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
11 year old tires on an RV....oh my.

Drive it slowly to the nearest tire dealer and get NEW TIRES. A blow out on the RV can cause several thousands of dollars in damage plus all the down time. It is not worth the chance of damage and even your health.

Ken
Old 04-09-2021, 10:13 AM   #5

Ask the service center if they'll cover the cost should any of these tires blow out !

Because , your coach could easily be a write off , even if you manage to keep it out of the ditch when one fails .
Old 04-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #6

Well, whybother, Id replace the tires and, more importantly, find a new service center. A tire shop that services fleet vehicles, such as utility trucks that might run the same tires as yours, may even give you a credit for your old tires. This is more common for those of us running the same size tires as OTR trucks, but you never know.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #7

Did that 'service center' just look at the tires OR did they break one down and Inspect it??

11 yr old tires are at least 1 year past age out date or 4 yrs past age out date
*7-10 yrs age out

Your MH...your choice
**Pay NOW for new tires OR PAY $$$ for new tire while on trip out on the side of the road somewhere with whatever tire/price they want to charge PLUS any damage to MH ....

RVing is NOT cheap ---it's a hobby that comes with costs
RVing is about making memories......hopefully good ones
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Take the safe course.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:05 PM   #9

I tried this approach once the "tires look good and dont see any sun during the day" and then came the blow out at 70mph in my 45ft Signature and a $6k repair bill
Theturboman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #10

Thanks for the input.

I'm certainly replacing the fronts. Trying to convince my better half that the rears need it too. (Just getting on the same page for the fronts was hard enough, since Kremer didn't seem to think it was needed yet. (They did pull one rear off the rim and check it.))

For the rear duallies, how often do both in a pair blow at/near the same time? Having trouble finding horror stories of that happening -- mostly just those that were unaware they had lost one 'till the other went.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #11

When the first one goes, the remaining one will have twice the load it had before the failure. If the flailing bits dont immediately destroy the second tire, you may have enough time to stop the rig before it goes.

Im fortunate that were both on the same page as far as safety, so this would never be a discussion between us. If I were you, Id tell her there will be no trips until the rig has 6 new tires.

Why do you need to hear a horror story about it to compel you, or her, to replace the tires?
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I've had an inside dual either blow out or go flat three times but never did both the tires blow at the same time. I think most never experience a blowout, however.

The first time it happened on a motorhome, I thought I had heard a faint "pop" but didn't dawn on me to check until several hundred miles later. Another time, it was a louder "bang" and another time just a slow leak from a puncture. All were attributed to road hazards and I didn't feel any adverse handling from the drivers seat.

I did experience a blowout on a steer tire when driving a commercial bus and even though it happened at highway speed, the bus didn't go wildly out of control.

At any rate, if you can afford it, replace all your tires ...and carefully monitor your weight and tire inflation and you'll at least feel safe. Riding on 11 year old tires, you'll always be a bit worried while underway.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Why do you need to hear a horror story about it to compel you, or her, to replace the tires?
Once it's agreed as a safety issue, then it's as good as done. But the first step is agreeing that it is a safety issue vs. just a potential inconvenience that's "just as likely as picking up a nail with new tires". Plenty of convincing horror stories for front wheel and tag axle blowouts. Not so many for double dually blowouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
When the first one goes, the remaining one will have twice the load it had before the failure.
The argument is that the TPMS will give us a warning in time to get the tire swapped out before it becomes a "real" problem.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:50 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

How much of a gambler are you? And the wife? You already exceeded reasonable expectations (10 years),but they could conceivable last another 3-4 years. Or just one more day.

A blow out on a semi-trailer is often not a big deal other than the trip delay. A blowout on a motorhome is almost always accompanied by body damage. And Murphy's Law pretty much guarantees that blowout will come at the worst possible time, ruining a family vacation or making you miss an important event. I'd also consider that 8R19.5 tires aren't typically off-the-shelf items if you need one out on the highway somewhere on a Sunday night.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires