Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #1

Question 110 hookup

In general, what can I expect to run on 110v hookup? Have a 38 ft Damon Class A, and would like to run front and rear air, 1 tv, water heater, and fridge. We have always used 50 amp prior to this point. Could use propane for the water heater and/or fridge if necessary. What happens if I try to pull too many amps?
slvrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrfx View Post
In general, what can I expect to run on 110v hookup? Have a 38 ft Damon Class A, and would like to run front and rear air, 1 tv, water heater, and fridge. We have always used 50 amp prior to this point. Could use propane for the water heater and/or fridge if necessary. What happens if I try to pull too many amps?
No matter what amp service it is still 110/120 volt feeding your MH.
You will need at least a 30 amp service and that might not do the job if
every thing is in operation at once.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First on a 110 hook up you should be very careful.. You want a 120 volt hookup (108 ius the minimum safe voltage and 105 is the absolute minimum)

Now You have loads in the RV that are classed as "BIG" and loads classed as SMALL and one that is "Variable", that last one is the converter,, Depending on the make and model and the state of charge of the batteries it can be big or small.

Big items are Air Conditioners, Space heaters, Water heaters. The Microwave and Electric cookers (Some are bigger than others)

Small items are slow cookers, TV's. Radios, Lights, VCR/DVR, Satellite receiver, Digital TV converter and your laptop.

Fridge is like 300-400 watts, count it as a "Medium".

Think 1000 and up watts is big
100 is small
500 is medium (counts as 1/2 of a big load)

Now

20 amps: You can run ONE big ticket item and likely a few smalls

30 Amp. TWO big ticket items and most all your smalls

50 Amp "All you can eat" (Everything in the coach)

And it i is that easy.

NOTE also: IF you are plugging into a 20 amp outlet (Which I suspect you are) and it i soutdoors the outlet should be GFCI protectes (BY code less grandfathered) NOT all RV's play nice with GFCI outlets.

If power is lost or not present check both GFCI and breaker.

One final note: The 30 amp outlet at an RV park should be 120 volt.. If it's not.. Well, the park has liability.

There is a virtually identical outlet used in homes, garages, shops and the like, LOOKS just like the TT-30 and will accept the matching 30 amp RV plug.... BUT IT IS 240 volt .

If you are about to plug into a 30 amp outlet anywhere OTEHR than an RV park.. (and even there you should but most do not) MEASURE THE VOLTAGE FIRST.

If it is not in the 110-125 range, DO NOT PLUG IN.

We are a bit overdue for another "I plugged into a 240 volt outlet" thread again. (NOTE: 50 amp RV parks are 240 volt, but they are 4 wire so it's divided (Split phase) so you can get 120 off them... twice)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
How bout more info on your rig?
Year?
30 or 50 amp?
If 50, are u pluging into fifty amp service?
Does your rig have any kind of electricity management system?

I once looked at an older damon gasser with no EMS and no automatic transfer switch. U could only run the rear ac on genny!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you decide to go the 30 amp route make sure your electrician follows RV Wiring instructions or you face a electronic fiasco sorry to say.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a 110v going thru a 50amp to 30amp to a 20amp 110v adapter you'll be lucky to get 1 air to run.Most 110v household plugs are only 15amp or 20amp.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #7

If you pull more amps than the breaker you plug into it will trip.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007"
If you decide to go the 30 amp route make sure your electrician follows RV Wiring instructions or you face a electronic fiasco sorry to say.
That is some good reading. Thanks. Never knew 30 amps may be safer when extra juice is not needed. Thump^
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

You won't be able to run very much at all on a 15/20 amp circuit. You can keep your batteries charged (if you limit the draw of the charger/inverter), you can watch TV, but I wouldn't even try to run an AC unit on that hook up.

Each summer we spend several weeks at my FIL's place in rural Minnesota and only have a 15 amp circuit in his barn to connect to. We put the fridge and water heater on propane and limit the current draw of the charger to 5 amps. We can't even think about using the AC unless the ginny is running.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote