Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #15

I really appreciate everybody’s help. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If the outlets are the RV sealed back type, the wire runs in and out without cutting the wire. One bad, in most cases, would not effect the others.

Are the outlets in a slide ? If yes, I'd be looking for a bad connection where it moves in and out.
I just checked all of the outlets that aren’t getting power. They are the pass thru for the wiring and appeared to be fine. I also removed and reseated the breaker. That didn’t help. I ran the generator and the same issue exists.

I don’t have my multimeter with me I’m thinking the breaker failed.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #16

Shut things down, swap the wire to another breaker and test.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:23 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If rig is a 50a (4-pin plug on shoreline), cycle the breaker OFF/ON at the pole? Cycle the 2-pole 50a breaker in rig panel OFF/ON? If rig is a 30a/3-wire, then i suspect you have a loose wire somewhere, maybe at RV Breaker, maybe at a receptacle? Re: Breakers/ sizes? Verify that what is in YOUR RIG matches what you read in the Manual? Good Luck
Old 12-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #18

Do you have a exterior receptacle? That could be a gfi and it’s tripped? It could be the first receptacle in the circuit and they may have them all protected through that one
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #19

Is your gfi a breaker or is it one of the outlets? It looks like the breaker is a gfi by the listing. If so I would pull out the non gfi and make sure the connection is tight on it. I have seen this in residential instances even after years of them working good.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
Do you have a exterior receptacle? That could be a gfi and it’s tripped? It could be the first receptacle in the circuit and they may have them all protected through that one
I agree. The OP stated that it was on the breaker labeled non gfi but it would not surprise me if that label was incorrect. My first step would be to look for another gfic receptacle that might be tripped. Possibly hidden down in one of the storage bays.

If nothing found, then get the voltmeter and start the troubleshooting process at the breaker.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #21

My rig uses 30 amp service. I have three outlets on a GFCI circuit. Then I have six additional outlets on a non GFCI circuit. These are the outlets that don’t have power. I’ve checked to ensure that all wires are tight going into each breaker. I’ve also ensured that the breaker is seated correctly.

My GFCI reset is in the bathroom. The outlet outside and near the kitchen sink are the only outlets on that circuit.

Tomorrow my multimeter arrives and I will test the breaker. I’m suspecting that this is the problem. I’ve checked each outlet to ensure that the wiring is good.

I do not have any outlets in any storage bays.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #22

I just did a few more tests to those outlets. I have a led night light that will light very dim if I unplug all items from that circuit. This continues to each outlet on that circuit. This appears to be low voltage on the non GFCI circuit.

I also tried this test using a 110 20 amp circuit from the campground post. Same results. I don’t see the post causing the issue.

Could a bad breaker cause low voltage on that circuit?
Old 12-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #23

Bad wiring connection
Either at the Circuit Breaker or at the first outlet in that daisy chain...affects ALL downstream outlets on that circuit

Easy check...
Swap Load wire on that CB to another CB and heck outlets
Still Dim/Lo voltage...then have to check wiring at outlet
All good..replace the CB
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Bad wiring connection
Either at the Circuit Breaker or at the first outlet in that daisy chain...affects ALL downstream outlets on that circuit

Easy check...
Swap Load wire on that CB to another CB and heck outlets
Still Dim/Lo voltage...then have to check wiring at outlet
All good..replace the CB
Makes sense and hopefully it’s just a bad breaker. I’ll work on this some more tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #25

With the led nightlight coming on dim it could be a high resistance connection on the hot side or an open neutral. When you get your meter check the hot to neutral at the breaker panel. If that reads good then check each outlet. start at the first in the chain (if your positive you know which it is there is no need to check the rest) as the issue will be between there and the breaker panel. from hot to neutral and then hot to ground. If you have no voltage from hot to netural but do have good voltage from hot to ground then you have an open neutral.

It would be best to have something plugged into each outlet as you test it. Use a incandescent lamp or something that draws an amp or two. As your meter is high impedance and will not load down the circuit enough to eliminate a false good reading if the issue is a high resistance/loose connection.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
With the led nightlight coming on dim it could be a .......... open neutral.
I agree, This is a textbook case of an open neutral. A, circuit does not work B. test lamp lights dimly proves there is power, only wire left is neutral. Seen this many times.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #27

While you have the power to the coach off (unplugged), check every screw in the breaker box.

I started making this part of my yearly maintenance. You will be surprised how many loosen from driving.

I started doing this after one of my mains got loose enough to arc and melt.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
I agree, This is a textbook case of an open neutral. A, circuit does not work B. test lamp lights dimly proves there is power, only wire left is neutral. Seen this many times.
Yep! OP, make sure to check the neutral (white) wire connection at the panel. Not only for tightness, but also that the conductor (copper part) is making contact under the set screw.

Tags
campground