Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
12 volt outlets?

How do I know which outlets are wired 12v on the inside of my mh? I have a 2003 National Dolphin 6355. As for as I understand there are a couple of outlets that can run my laptop, c-pap, or other aps. I have a couple of solar panels up top and I assume will keep my batteries charged. Hate to ask stupid questions. Is it true about the outlets? Thanks friends!
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume you mean the standard cigarette lighter round outlets. Those are the only ones I'm aware of that are 12 volt DC and would require the round plug to fit into them for power.

Any other outlets that take a standard light cord plug would be 110 volts.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #3

No Edison style plugs ( three prong outlets) will run at 12 volts, they are all 120 volts. Cigarette lighter style plugs are 12 volt, they make different types of plugs for different amounts of voltage so you dont get them mixed up ( which would be very dangerous!) hope this helps! :-)
DRL25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreek7 View Post
How do I know which outlets are wired 12v on the inside of my mh? I have a 2003 National Dolphin 6355. As for as I understand there are a couple of outlets that can run my laptop, c-pap, or other aps. I have a couple of solar panels up top and I assume will keep my batteries charged. Hate to ask stupid questions. Is it true about the outlets? Thanks friends!
What the others said is true to the best of my knowlege, but if you check your equipment (ie c-pap) you may find if it is a newer model that it plugs into 110 Volt outlets, but it is stepped down to 12Volts before going into your machine. You can also purchase direct 12 volt cords for them, but then you need to wire up lighter type outlets for them. If your power cord or plug has a box or something similar built into it, check and you may find it is stepping down to 12 volts.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
12 volt outlets are round, like a ciggy lighter, 120 volt outlets are like the ones in your house.

HOWEVER that is not what you meant to ask.. You meant to ask which outlets are INVERTER powered and thus work when running on battery power.

Only two ways to find out... 1: IF, and I stress IF, it's listed in the owners manual RTFM

2: Night light or test light, Go around outlet to outlet and plug in the light when not plugged into shore power and generator (if any) is off, if the light lights, the outlet is live.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
12 volt outlets are round, like a ciggy lighter, 120 volt outlets are like the ones in your house.

HOWEVER that is not what you meant to ask.. You meant to ask which outlets are INVERTER powered and thus work when running on battery power.

Only two ways to find out... 1: IF, and I stress IF, it's listed in the owners manual RTFM

2: Night light or test light, Go around outlet to outlet and plug in the light when not plugged into shore power and generator (if any) is off, if the light lights, the outlet is live.
I assume this is the queston as well.
An inverter changes Battery 12V DC to 120VAC (3 prong house plug). You need to find the Inverter and make sure it is turned on.
Then when not pluged into shore power (and genny not running), take any 120VAC item you have (lamp, night light, fan,etc) and walk around plugging this into each house socket to see which ones have power. You might mark these for future reference.
Another good thing to do is after you are done and have shore power connected, trip (test) the Ground Fault Dectector (GFI usually in the bathrooom) and do the same to identify the power sockets that do not have power - thus GFI protected.
It's good to figure this out while you don't have a problem - so you are not guessing if/when you do have a problem.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lilgreek7,
Your question is Brand specific. Consider posting this question in the National Owners Forum. On the iRV2 main page, scroll down about 1/2 way. There you will find the National Owners Forum. I suggest this because nobody knows your coach like somebody who owns one just like yours.

In the OP, you make an assumption. I would not assume anything. Consider checking it out with a meter. Inside the coach you need to determine which batteries (chassis or coach) power the 12 VDC outlets. This is important. When connected to shore power the coach batteries will be charged. The chassis batteries may or may not be charged. It depends on the Brand, year, model of coach you have.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For what it's worth I have three 110 volt outlets with a factory label that says "Inverter powered". I noticed they didn't work when I was unplugged from shore power.
Took it back to the dealer and after some checking they discovered that was not an option that was ordered on my coach but the factory put labels on anyways.

So, even if they say they are inverter powered they, in fact, may not be.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the replies. It was asked wrong. I was thinking about inverter powered. Just have to wait till April and then I can go get my mh. Cant wait till this house sells! I want to get out on the road. Guess I will be using alot of trial and error. But I will be checking these inverter plugs out asap. Thanks again!
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One suggestion: Get some of the little quarter watt plug in "path Lights" these have a small NEON lamp in a plug, that's all. (Well there is one other part hidden inside)

Plug one into each GFCI (not a reaular outlet that says "GFCI" on it but the actual GFCI if it's not a breaker.

You can scatter these about for just a few bucks per package and tell if an outlet is live at a glance.. Once you learn the patterns, you can use them.. elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Only two 12v outlets in my 6355 (built May of 02); one on the dash the other lower right passenger area with a 110v above phone jack below.

The owners manual say "batteries" charged by solar (must mean all), all batteries charged by shore power and generator (it says "some have this feature" in the owners manual) mine does.

Your GFCI breakers are located under the galley cabinets and next to the sink in the bath. One may be on the outside recepticle but mine there is in line with the galley circuit.

As far as testing stick w/ wa8yxm he will get you to where you need to be.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote