Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #1

My 12 volt house batteries will not hold a charge and we will be leaving for Florida the day after Christmas so I need to get the batteries change and after so research I feel I should convert to two 6 volts but would like to here from someone who has made the change. Configuration and wireing.
Mikeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:09 AM   #2

My 12 volt house batteries will not hold a charge and we will be leaving for Florida the day after Christmas so I need to get the batteries change and after so research I feel I should convert to two 6 volts but would like to here from someone who has made the change. Configuration and wireing.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nothing to convert except maybe the battery box itself to add the additional battery and depending on what size of battery you buy. You will need to buy a cable to go from the positive of one battery to the negative of the second battery.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #4

Do it. You won't regret it. Just make sure that you use true deep-cycle 6V batteries, which all of the golf-car-style ones are. You may need to re-arrange how the batteries are fitted into their tray due to cable lengths. I had to put mine in neg-neg instead of pos-neg so that the cables wouldn't be strained (they of course were electrically connected in series to get 12V).
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
After having a problem with one of three 12 volt house batteries I am switching over to 4 Trojan T105 6 volt golf cart batteries. Should be good to go for quite a while.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #6

Oh, one more thing: if you have a Progressive Dynamics or Iota Engineering battery charger that is NOT equipped with the "smart charger" option, get the accessory outboard charge controller. They don't cost much, and your batteries will last longer.

PD Charge Wizard

Iota Engineering IQ4
Old 12-21-2008, 03:18 AM   #7

Well I installed to GC-2 Energizers in series and all seems to be OK. I plugged in to bring them up to full charge at 12.65 then unplugged for 24 hrs.and with the 20 degree cold they settled back to 12.5 so hoping that is one problem solved.
I have and Iota DLS 55 converter which I take it is from the factory in 2001 and I would like to put the IQ4 Smart Controler on it to reap the full cycle charge but I see no where to plug it into the converter, everything I read shows a port on the top to plug into but I can't find any so I'm looking for answers from the IRV2 group. Help!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The IQ4 description says the port will be on the top, but looking at the picture of the DLS 55 it appears to be on the end near the power cord.

The IQ4 uses the dual voltage jack, which looks like a modular phone jack.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #9

I looked in my electric compartment at the converter and it is not where they show it but I will see if I can crawl in the comp. and check the ends of the converter, not alot of room. If I have no luck a phone call to Iota will be in order. Roamer hows the weather in Fla. here in NJ snow and rain temps. in 30's.I'm hoping we get a good day this week to load and hookup toad before heading south Fri.
Thanx Roamer
Old 12-21-2008, 01:48 PM   #10
BCG

If you have the space, go ahead and switch to 6V batteries. If you are good with periodic inspections and have easy access to refill, go to lead acid 6V. If you have a couple extra $$$, switch to AGM 6V. After checking several brands, I found these in Miami with 5-yr warranty (200 amp-hr @$190 ea):

Fullriver at DCBatteries
BCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikeeg:
Well I installed to GC-2 Energizers in series and all seems to be OK. I plugged in to bring them up to full charge at 12.65 then unplugged for 24 hrs.and with the 20 degree cold they settled back to 12.5 so hoping that is one problem solved.
I have and Iota DLS 55 converter which I take it is from the factory in 2001 and I would like to put the IQ4 Smart Controler on it to reap the full cycle charge but I see no where to plug it into the converter, everything I read shows a port on the top to plug into but I can't find any so I'm looking for answers from the IRV2 group. Help!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In my case, the RJ-11ish modular jack for the IQ4 is located on the fan end of the case. If the unit has the IQ4 circuitry already built in (as some do) then you'll see a green LED on the unit somewhere if the DC power is on.