Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Double check with another meter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Something is amiss with the regulator that controls the RPM of Gen Set. Need to knowmore about the generator Make Model Serial # might be a easy fix if it is a spring system that can be regulated.
No, RPM controls frequency. Regulator field current controls voltage.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Double check with another meter.
Again? He's already tried 3 different meters.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #18

There are you checking voltage?

I keep a power meter plugged on the kitchen outlets. I also keep one of those do da's that show outlets are wired correctly plugged in on another circuit.

If I am worried about low voltage, I also have my DVM on the second leg.

Recently I replaced the voltage regulator on our Onan. I was testing with as much load as a could and every thing was fine.

Back on 50 amp shore power I noticed one circuit jumped to 136 Vac when I put a load on the other. I checked on another rig and saw higher voltage.

I looked at the metered panel where power was coming from the street and it appeared to be rather old.

My point is that there could be an another explanation for high voltage even if one does not know what it is.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #19

Just got home from work. I got a response from Jeff Jones, at 8:15 this morning. He said based on the information I gave him it definitely sounds like a voltage regulator. I haven't gotten into it to deep yet, but I was thinking since I already have to order the VR should I order and replace the brushes. they are $120. It has 1200 hours, and has been there since 97' I'm guessing.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6596 View Post
Just got home from work. I got a response from Jeff Jones, at 8:15 this morning. He said based on the information I gave him it definitely sounds like a voltage regulator. I haven't gotten into it to deep yet, but I was thinking since I already have to order the VR should I order and replace the brushes. they are $120. It has 1200 hours, and has been there since 97' I'm guessing.
i wouldn't bother with the brushes. taking out vr is mildly easy but replacing brushes requires so much more - i would have to pull the entire unit out of the bay on my coach. nay! by the way, 1200 hrs for that kubota diesel is nothing. just replace the vr, you'll be good for next 10 years, if not longer.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i wouldn't bother with the brushes. taking out vr is mildly easy but replacing brushes requires so much more - i would have to pull the entire unit out of the bay on my coach. nay! by the way, 1200 hrs for that kubota diesel is nothing. just replace the vr, you'll be good for next 10 years, if not longer.
On Mine's an Isuzu, but it is on a slide in the front. I could remove 1 panel and the whole thing is right there open to the world. But I was thinking the same thing, just wanted a few opinions. Thanks.

Tags
generator