Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2023, 08:10 AM   #1

1990 Country Coach Concept

Stalled, brakes locked, still in drive mode, will not restart, WHY?
Judy berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2023, 08:12 AM   #2

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy berry View Post
Stalled, brakes locked, still in drive mode, will not restart, WHY?
Old 02-07-2023, 08:17 AM   #3

I’m not familiar with that coach however, I’m sure help is coming BUT most of us can’t help unless we know what chassis it is on? I.e. gas, diesel, Ford, Chevy, Freightliner, Oshkosh, etc.?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #4

Gillig
Old 02-07-2023, 09:52 AM   #5

Stalled. No air build. In drive mode. Will not start.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:56 AM   #6

Judy,

Welcome to iRV2.

For us to be of assistance, we will need more information:

What engine?
What transmission?

When you say it won't start, but is in "drive mode", are you not in neutral when trying to restart?

What is chassis battery voltage?

When you say it won't start, will the engine turn over? Turn over at normal speed?

What is fuel level?
Old 02-07-2023, 12:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I do know what a CC Concept is, but still need a much more detailed description of the problem. Does "won't start" mean won't attempt to crank the engine, or maybe make a noise but doesn't crank, or cranks [slow or fast?] but doesn't start? And what is "drive mode" mean? Transmission selector still in drive? It has to be in neutral to even attempt to start.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:49 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
My 1995 Gillig chassis has an air throttle and so requires air build up to feed fuel to the engine. The air will not build unless the engine is running. The throttle needs more than 40 psi to work.

The rear brakes are locked likely because the coach air pressure has dropped below 40 psi.

The only good way to increase the air pressure is to start the engine and hence the engine mounted air compressor. My rig has connectors in the front driver side bay and the engine compartment that may allow an external compressor to increase the system air pressure.

You cannot start the engine because the transmission is not in neutral. Perhaps your chassis batteries are depleted. The transmission shifter will not work without 12.6 dcv going to the transmission shifter.

1. Install new fully charged chassis batteries or recharge the chassis batteries to 12.6 dcv. These batteries are likely only charged by the engine alternator in the original build.

2. Start the generator and let it run for a few hours to put a charge into the house batteries if needed. Usually this will assist in cranking the engine via the battery boost switch. My rig has a dedicated generator starter battery. Yours may use the house batteries for generator start power.

3. Once you have sufficient chassis battery power you may be able to electronically shift the transmission to neutral and therefore start the engine cranking.

4. If the shift to neutral cannot be accomplished with adequate battery power, I can be of no further use in the situation.

I hope there is some help in the above.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coach, country coach