Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

1994 brave 454/p-30 chevy frame

Hey gang, I'm fairly new to the forum and i am already having a problem with my mh. I purchased this home as is from camping world in chatta. Drove it 50 miles home last week, parked it and now will not start. It is a chevy 454 on a p30 frame with a tbi fuel system. The motor will run as long as i put fuel down the carb. until i stop. It shows no fuel being put into the carb as pedal pushed. I have checked the fuel filter and fuel was reaching it, but not to the carb. Can anyone tell me if this engine has a mechanical pump on the motor? Maybe a fuse problem? I just can't understand why this home can run outstanding one week and not run the second week. need help please
DANDEAKINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #2

Take the gas line loose at the carb and see if you get any fuel there. There should be another fuel filter built in at the carb where the gas line attaches.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

Tks Tommy, I have two lines running to the carb. both stainless. I've had these lines off and like to have never got them back on. I guess i can disconnect from the frame fuel filter and have more freedom to move them, but the first time i seen no fuel. Does this engine have a mech. fuel pump on engine? Since i can't get it started i'm to big to cawl under and check. he he It's not funny
Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dandeakins, That is a throttle body you are pouring gas into. It has no accelerator pump as an old carb. if no fuel to those lines then the fuel pump " in the fuel tank" is most likely not running.

Mike
Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Tks mike, Does this fuel pump in the tank have a fuse somewhere and is there another one on the engine? 1994 model engine
Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
might have a fuseable link but if you turn the key on and dont hear the pump (youll need 2 folks to do this) your pump is bad. Typical chevy.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

the pumps used by GM through that era are tiny...It is really amazing they last as long as they do. Have someone cycle the key on and off...while another is under the gas tank, listen closely for a high pitched sound(sort of a whine).
if you have no helper...you can break open the larger diameter line at the TBI unit and check for fuel there when the key is switched to "on"...use caution though...gas is dangerous...sure don't want an accident.
If my memory serves correctly..the TBI runs at aprox 17-21psi....thers might know the true spec....it is higher pressure than carbed engines but not near what direct port injection engines are
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #8

fuel

Tks gang, I will get my better half to help me. I don't know which one would be safer under the mh (he). I will respond later in the day. again tks.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #9

Dan with update

HEY GANG, OK HERE GOES. BEFORE DROPPING THE FUEL TANK I CAME UP WITH AN IDEA. I REMOVED THE FUEL FILTER LOCATED ON THE FRAME AND DISCONNECTED THE WIRES RUNNING TO THE FUEL PUMP LOCATED JUST ABOVE THE TANK. USING A 12 VOLT BATTERY , (THERE IS A DISCONNECT PLUG THERE). RUNNING LEADS OFF THE BATTERY TO THE BLACK AND YELLOW WIRES ON THE PUMP WIRES, THE PUMP RAN AND SQUIRTED FUEL WELL PASSED THE MH. I THEN REINSTALLED THE FILTER AND REPEATED, THE FUEL SHOT THROUGH THE FILTER WITH THE SAME FORCE. THIS TELLS ME THE PUMP AND FILTER ARE GOOD. THEN WITH THE WIRES COMING FROM THE IGNITION SIDE I USED A 12 VOLT BULB CONNECTED IN A WIRING HARNESS WITH SWITCH ON TOUCHED THE WIRES AND NO LIGHT. NOW MY PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE ELECTRICAL. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dan, I can't help you, but somebody here should be able to give you some good advice. You have me interested now, so be sure and tell us the problem is resolved. Have you thought about call GM service for advice?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #11

Dan, memory is failing on the fuel pump wiring and without a manual in front of me...take a look and see if there is a fuel pump fuse and or ECM fuse. Either or both may supply power to the fuel pump
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #12

Hi Dan,

Turn off your CAPS LOCK key (messages in CAPS are like shouting).

And, have you found a wiring diagram for your chassis?. there may be some sort of interlock on the throttle body wiring. My GM 6.5 Diesel had a switch operated by engine oil pressure that didn't allow the fuel injection pump to run until the pressure built up. Checking this switch was part of the trouble shooting sequence if the engine wouldn't run. Maybe there is a 454 engine or Chevy truck forum that might have more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANDEAKINS View Post
HEY GANG, OK HERE GOES. BEFORE DROPPING THE FUEL TANK I CAME UP WITH AN IDEA. I REMOVED THE FUEL FILTER LOCATED ON THE FRAME AND DISCONNECTED THE WIRES RUNNING TO THE FUEL PUMP LOCATED JUST ABOVE THE TANK. USING A 12 VOLT BATTERY , (THERE IS A DISCONNECT PLUG THERE). RUNNING LEADS OFF THE BATTERY TO THE BLACK AND YELLOW WIRES ON THE PUMP WIRES, THE PUMP RAN AND SQUIRTED FUEL WELL PASSED THE MH. I THEN REINSTALLED THE FILTER AND REPEATED, THE FUEL SHOT THROUGH THE FILTER WITH THE SAME FORCE. THIS TELLS ME THE PUMP AND FILTER ARE GOOD. THEN WITH THE WIRES COMING FROM THE IGNITION SIDE I USED A 12 VOLT BULB CONNECTED IN A WIRING HARNESS WITH SWITCH ON TOUCHED THE WIRES AND NO LIGHT. NOW MY PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE ELECTRICAL. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #13

Hey George, SORRY for the shouting but an old redneck like me has trouble turning on the computer much less typing. Tks for the ecm, i will look this morning. Yep i finally found a wiring diaghram, but it's back to the redneck again.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You should have a fuse and a relay in that circuit check both, mine was the relay. 8 bucks at AutoZone.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave